• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Immense is Your Manga Collection?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panzerkunst

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
When getting into collecting manga, I knew it was a hobby that would take up quite a bit of shelf space, but now I'm really beginning to feel how much of a behemoth these collections become!

I've only really completed two series and have several stand-alone graphic novels included, but already my whole shelf is hardly vacant. I don't plan to stop collecting anytime soon so I might even have to relocate them or even dedicate a multi-shelf structure just for my graphic novels!

How about you guys? How many series do you have and how much volume of your shelves are represented by manga? I'm sure some of you will put my wee, two series manga collection to shame.

Last edited by Panzerkunst on Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
At the moment I have 11 volumes, but they vary in size. Most are standard, but I also have the first volume of Akira, and that took some managing to fit on my shelf. It will be even more difficult when I get the other 5. The rest of my shelf is just filled with regular books and a few dvds, some of which are anime. I don't have any real space issues yet, but that's probably because I haven't had the urge to buy any large manga with dozens of volumes yet.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I would have to do an inventory of my manga collection, because I know that I have over 400 volumes of manga in my house, with probaby another 200 volumes in the garage. I'm one of those people who has a tendency to buy and then not read the stuff for a while, and it sure does take up shelf space. Whenever I read something and in the end I didn't think too much of it, I get rid of it.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I have 4 complete series, 3 series that are up to current releases, and several incomplete ones. My total number of tankoubon is just slightly under 100 volumes (it's 94 or something). I've been focusing more on my anime and movie collection recently though. The last manga I bought was High School Debut along with the Welcome to the N.H.K novel and that was about a week ago after a two week stint of no purchases.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I would have over 200 volumes by now, but my list pretty much stopped there once I went to college. When I'm home, I buy as much as I can since I'm behind in a few series and want to read so many new ones. Though I did find a generic comic book store by my school, but it's the kind that has the random volumes that you don't want.

Anyway, I plan on having it grow much larger. That's after I get my anime collection straightened out.

Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ningensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I have about 140 volumes of manga, and hopefully it will start growing again soon. I had the same problem as Ko-chan, where my collection came to a halt because I stopped buying manga for awhile. But with a new job now, I'll probably start up again and catch up on some sereis that I only have a few volumes of. I don't have very many complete series, because many of the titles I am following are still being released in English every 2/3/4 months and maybe still ongoing in Japan as well.
Truered

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I have about 160-170 volumes, with a tower and small bookshelf filled- and that was with some left at Uni Embarassed
lijakaca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Erm. Between 1000 and 2000. I stopped counting after 1200, but I still buy tanks, and I have many, many anthologies. Mostly Japanese, maybe 50 English and 50 French. So I estimate 1500 actual volumes, and a bunch more in anthologies.

Embarassed
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I actually just did inventory on all my manga because I moved. So I can safely say that I am approaching 650 volumes right now. Granted, there are some I need to sell that I'll never read again. My collection takes up almost 2 full bookcases, double stacked on each shelf. I only have a little bit of room left. Anime cry Not to mention about 2 years worth of Newtype and every issue of Shojo Beat ever published.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I only have 290, I need alot more but even with those numbers I already need another bookshelf, I don't know what I am going to do.
velocet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Roughly 500 or so. My problem is that I don't have space for any more (book) shelves in my flat, so while I've owned a lot more at some point over the years, I sell a lot of what I buy after I've read it, so I continue to have space for long series' I'm following and new series' I want to read. There are some series' I won't part with, but a lot of the stuff I read I know I probably won't go back to in the way I did when I started collecting, so it makes sense just to find a new home for it. I get my limited shelf space back, and someone else gets a bargain on a good series, so it's a win-win situation for all involved.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere around 340, I think. I've sold off a lot over the years, so most of the stuff I have now will be kept. There's a few series left I'm uncertain of keeping just because I either don't have much attachment to it or else won't be re-reading (or a combination of the two). But otherwise it's a solid number for now.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
For manga I have 281 volumes of 30 titles, 13 of which are complete. Anime is 317 DVDs covering 76 titles, so the manga still looks like @ half on the shelves.
hack_benjamin22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably approaching (or have just surpassed) the 300 volume mark, which I've collected over the span of 8 years. Most are in English, but I've a small collection in Japanese and a few in Chinese.

The problem with my collections is that I love books in general so they're everywhere. I have 3 bookcases and 3 shelves in my room alone. That and I just can't seem to give anything up.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently at about 635. And that's after I subtract the 30 volumes or so I'll be selling later this week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10