• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Themes in Star Driver

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Someone was a little too excited when adding themes for Star Driver. Out of the 14 themes listed, 5 are redundant and others just plain incorrect.

Incorrect: unrequited love, fan service, magical boy and bishoujo

Redundant:
- coming of age, growing up
Neither of these fit the series very well anyway, so I'd recommend they both be removed.

- high school, school, school life
These do fit, but it is unnecessary to have 3 of what is pretty much the same thing. I'd say keep school, but school life would work just as well.

If a moderator or encyclopedia editor has time to help, it'd be great if they could fix this. Thanks in advance.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:

All those are correct, though. Well, maybe magical boy is iffy, but Takuto does have a transformation sequence befitting one.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:33 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Tris8 wrote:

All those are correct, though. Well, maybe magical boy is iffy, but Takuto does have a transformation sequence befitting one.
I don't agree.

Fanservice: there was some, but less than one instance per episode. There was not enough for it to be a theme of the show.

Unrequited Love: Again, this was present in the show, but not enough for it to be a theme. The show wasn't about unrequited love at all. In fact, it was hardly present at all since spoiler[Wako didn't choose between Sugata or Takuto] and the thing with Kate didn't show up until near the end of the show.

Bishoujo: Bishounen is already listed as a theme. Those two styles are different, and out of the two, bishounen definitely fits better. All the guys are drawn in the tall, lanky style of bishounen, and Takuto even refers to himself as bishounen.

Magical Boy: Is magical boy even a viable theme? I've never seen it under any other titles. Well, proceeding assuming magical girl criteria (except that it is a guy), this is borderline. Takuto does have a transformation sequence, but nothing else really fits.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
We clearly have a difference of opinion here which is exactly why the audit system exists.

Tris8 wrote:
Magical Boy: Is magical boy even a viable theme? I've never seen it under any other titles. Well, proceeding assuming magical girl criteria (except that it is a guy), this is borderline. Takuto does have a transformation sequence, but nothing else really fits.

I'm sure I've seen D.N.Angel referred to as "magical boy" in the past. It had been added as a theme but has been downvoted.
It is currently listed under six titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
I don't agree.

Fanservice: there was some, but less than one instance per episode. There was not enough for it to be a theme of the show.

Unrequited Love: Again, this was present in the show, but not enough for it to be a theme. The show wasn't about unrequited love at all. In fact, it was hardly present at all since spoiler[Wako didn't choose between Sugata or Takuto] and the thing with Kate didn't show up until near the end of the show.

Bishoujo: Bishounen is already listed as a theme. Those two styles are different, and out of the two, bishounen definitely fits better. All the guys are drawn in the tall, lanky style of bishounen, and Takuto even refers to himself as bishounen.

Well I guess that depends on the intention behind the theme category. If it means only the theme of the entire show then yeah, but a theme can be present in a show without being the main focus.

Also, 'bishonen' and 'bishoujo' mainly involve character designs. Star Driver was full of both hot guys and hot girls so both apply.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well I guess that depends on the intention behind the theme category. If it means only the theme of the entire show then yeah, but a theme can be present in a show without being the main focus.

When entering or auditing themes, it makes it clear that they should be a "core element of the story" and someone should be willing to watch the show solely because it contains that theme. I think the idea is that someone using the Genre Search to find anime with a certain theme should be happy with the ones they find. So basically, if someone says, "I want to watch an anime about X", the anime in question should have X as a large enough theme that the person looking for anime about X will be happy with it.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Also, 'bishonen' and 'bishoujo' mainly involve character designs. Star Driver was full of both hot guys and hot girls so both apply.
Tris8 wrote:
As you can see from the bolded and underlined part, I am aware that it is a drawing style. This goes back to the 'present in small parts, but not enough to be a theme' argument.

Thanks for the explanation Calathan. As he said, for this site when adding themes they should be a core part of the story.

The main reason for me making this thread (instead of auditing everything) was because there was a lot of wrong information on a single page, and as with a previous title I had come across, I thought someone might have/is currently spamming it. I know moderators can't removed a theme or genre once it has been audited, so this way is much faster and cleaner when there is a mass of information that is clearly incorrect.

Because of Vaisaga's objections, I will audit the themes he is contesting, but the ones that are redundant and clearly don't need to be listed multiple times (growing up, coming of age, school, high school, school life) I won't so that they can be removed without a long contention about whether one theme is better than the other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1