• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Google Warnings, Sites Now 'Clean'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering wtf when my Kaspersky said I got an adware from FUNi?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Now stop those pesky pop-up ads on your Youtube page FUNimation. Hate streaming an anime, only to have it stop at a critical moment for some stupid game I will not buy or Tampons.
toyNN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Ha! - finally IE will support this.. Firefox has worked with Google to support blocking malware sites for some time now. Where as IE would blissfully let you go to sites containing malware and get infected, Firefox basically stops you from browsing to those sites. If IE relies on Bing to flag sites..that will be interesting to see how accurate they are...Oops Bing just had to flag apple.com again Rolling Eyes
Sacto0562 wrote:
Funimation had to fix this because Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.0--now in feature-complete Release Candidate 1 version--would have done the same thing because it too maintains an internal list of known malware sites and would have flagged the FUNi sites in question.
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:
Figures that Funimation would try to put malware on people's computers, even if it was unknowingly.

All the more reason to stop supporting them, and just buy the raw DVD/Blu-rays from Japan. Very Happy

Wow. Really?

Lance

+1 Funi.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:
Figures that Funimation would try to put malware on people's computers, even if it was unknowingly.

All the more reason to stop supporting them, and just buy the raw DVD/Blu-rays from Japan. Very Happy

Yeah, good luck with that Rolling Eyes

Oh, I failed to mention that I'm majoring in Japanese. Cool

^WEEABOO Anime hyper

Please. I beg you. Move to Japan. I'd even help with your expenses. The less of you people we have here the better.

Heres another anti-FUNi fail quote from this guy:

jmaeshawn wrote:
I don't really mind either way what happens to Funimation, since I'm one of the few who both "pirates" and supports the industry.

In my mind, it's better to support the actual creators of the anime, rather than the ones who just bought a license to translate it. Especially since I'm not convinced the animation studios in Japan make a whole lot from the R1 licenses anyway.

What I do is buy an import DVD or Blu-ray from Japan, then watch the fansubs or now, rips from places like Crunchyroll.

This way, my money goes directly to the studios (who can use it to make more anime) rather than a place like Funimation (who will just waste it on another license not many people care about.)

I guess my way of doing things is a kind of a "grey-line" situation.

Looks like we are dealing with one of those "REAL anime fans", guys Laughing
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:09 am Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:

Awesome. I'm sure being able to say "Would you like fries with that?" in Japanese will greatly increase your career prospects.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:35 am Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:

Do you have a R4 Dvd player? Learning Japanese won't do you any good if the DVDs won't play
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:

Do you have a R4 Dvd player? Learning Japanese won't do you any good if the DVDs won't play
Japan is R2, I believe, not R4.

Honestly, I didn't notice a problem with their site - when I visited the video portal the other day, it worked just fine for me. So when I went to visit the problem might have been fixed. Still great to see Funi on top of the issue.
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:

Japan is R2, I believe, not R4.

Honestly, I didn't notice a problem with their site - when I visited the video portal the other day, it worked just fine for me. So when I went to visit the problem might have been fixed. Still great to see Funi on top of the issue.

Ah, ok, got it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Draneor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

It's extremely easy to make most DVD players region free. But it's a moot point since anime BDs (Japan) are region free. If you're going to import, might as well go for the best.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
If you're going to import, might as well go for the best.

He's got a point.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Apparently I'm the only person that caught on the the original posters sarcasm... Rolling Eyes
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I hear they were infected with Love Machine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:

^WEEABOO Anime hyper

Please. I beg you. Move to Japan. I'd even help with your expenses. The less of you people we have here the better.

Heres another anti-FUNi fail quote from this guy:

jmaeshawn wrote:
I don't really mind either way what happens to Funimation, since I'm one of the few who both "pirates" and supports the industry.

In my mind, it's better to support the actual creators of the anime, rather than the ones who just bought a license to translate it. Especially since I'm not convinced the animation studios in Japan make a whole lot from the R1 licenses anyway.

What I do is buy an import DVD or Blu-ray from Japan, then watch the fansubs or now, rips from places like Crunchyroll.

This way, my money goes directly to the studios (who can use it to make more anime) rather than a place like Funimation (who will just waste it on another license not many people care about.)

I guess my way of doing things is a kind of a "grey-line" situation.

Looks like we are dealing with one of those "REAL anime fans", guys Laughing

Here, this will probably piss of the guy (with my possible effort):

jmaeshawn=The Jack Thompson for Funimation

OK, maybe it's not the best. But Jack Thompson was known for trolling around game site (if it's really JT) and leaving nasty comments. So I'm comparing that troll to JT.
Nightmare7even

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
He would rather buy Japanese releases seriously...Rolling Eyes don't Japanese anime releases average $40-60 for a standard DVD with 2 or at most 3 episodes?? Blu-ray versions of Anime must retail for $60 US dollars or more, no thanks I'll stick to to the R1 versions avalable here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3