• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 (Mostly) Deadly Death Gods

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HannoX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Hikari from This Ugly Yet Beautiful World didn't make the list. After all, she was going to destroy most life on the Earth and had apparently done so in the past. It was implied pretty strongly that she was responsible for the mass extinctions in the past. If wiping out the dinosaurs isn't enough, what about the Great Die Off at the end of the Permian? How much more of a death god can you get?
unused

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
The poll is sure tormenting my heart. A lot of character I love. I was going to pick L as soon I saw his name. And then I saw Itachi, I decided I has to be him. And then I saw Ace, I was like "WTH is this poll!"
I like both Itachi and Ace. Both of them died for the sake of their brother. I have this thing called brother complex. So any character playing great brother is always my favorite.

In the end I realized it was just a poll. No need to go serious about it.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I guess I like the poll better when there's a set of choices and then everyone complains that what they'd choose isn't on the list more than this. Too many options. (See? You can't please anyone!)
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, man, the poll was tough. Lots of characters I'd wanna revive, but in a lot of cases, the character's deaths affected the plot or other characters so much that I would think reviving them to be problematic. Thus the one I was able to vote for had to be a fairly senseless death wherein if the character were alive, things could only be more awesome. So I went with spoiler[Hilda] from Outlaw Star, because even if the character never became part of the main cast and was off doing other things and only showed up for cameos, I don't think it would've changed Gene's development or the overall plot. So yeah, went for that character, though there's plenty others I would've wanted to save, but whom remaining alive would affect the plot too much.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I might be wrong about this -- it's been a while since I watched Shinigami no Ballad -- but I'm pretty sure Momo didn't really face her counterpart dressed in black in the anime (or the manga, for that matter.) She might have showed up during the ending animation, though. Maybe.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Just to add on to the Lelouch thing, its basically Blade Runner part deux.

the director says its left open to interpretation, I think he kind of understood despite Lelouch being a megalomaniac how popular he was.
the writer says he is dead.

Now I always think whatever the creator says is fact, but since its technically spilt, and the fact that they had to remove an entire scene to make the point that he was dead, I go with alive, and hooking up with CC Wink
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
There is one character whose death really irked me, Android 16 in Dragon Ball Z {may be a robot but he had soul, that had to count for something} mostly because in a series where undoing death is just a mattter of waiting, it was pretty cold of the cast to not wish him back

or rebuild him

or install his backup software in a new system or body

or build a statue of him somewhere for saving the planet

or, you know, remember him...

They didn't care, what nice, self absorbed people our heroes are.

As for many of the other shows, if that character didn't die, there wouldn't be a series.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I added the entry for a Flag character to the list, and I did it this way

"Flag's last ep" because it is hugely spoilerific, and there's only one named character who dies, so it is not too difficult to know who it is. Namely, spoiler[Shirasu Saeko]

While I think I understand why they did this- the ethic in Japan that spoiler[living people have to carry on to give life meaning] is very strong - I think it ruined the show. It did for me, anyway.

It is a very well made show, but it hit's a nerve with me and that made me hate it.

Just one opinion.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I guess I like the poll better when there's a set of choices and then everyone complains that what they'd choose isn't on the list more than this. Too many options. (See? You can't please anyone!)

I knew there was *one* of you somewhere! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShyViolet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
To the person who added "Reflections/Seisouhen" to the poll, HOW DARE YOUUUU, WE DON'T TALK ABOUT THAT.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is a good poll this week. So many characters I would love to see back alive, but I can only pick one. I will say there are a few characters on this list that I have to question if they should be there. For example if I'm not mistaken (and I might be) Nagisa and Ushio (Clannad) are alive in the end. You also never actually know if Lelouch (Code Geass) and Spike (Cowboy Bebop) are actually dead.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
The poll is a spoiler disaster waiting to happen. I should have realized before I clicked it.

^^This

I didn't even think about it, just clicked out of habit, and by the time I'd quickly skimmed the list, half a dozen shows I'm either following, or am planning to watch - spoiled.

No matter how you try to defend it, this was a really poor choice of poll topic. Especially when you relinquish all control over the answers like this.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
Happily, I got nothing spoiled from the poll. I didn't even think about it, I just skimmed through the names and chose among the ones I recognized, the others I hardly processed them -I can't even remember most of the choices, save for those that I considered voting.

But it would be nice if people posting on the thread would spoiler tag whatever they mention about the characters in the poll. Nobody is doing this, and I'm pretty certain that spoiler[Lelouch's and Spike's] deaths are huge spoilers
b4k4ni04

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
quick quip: Meroko!! ;-;... rip Chieko Honda. T^T...
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote
There's too many dead characters I'd love to bring back to life. So I decided to cast my vote based on seniority(AKA: the character have I wanted to resurrect for the LONGEST time.) And the answer was spoiler[Nuriko of Fushigi Yuugi]. Because, well....Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5