• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
Have seen Gundam, Zeta Gundam, Wing, Seed and 00 (plus the 00 movie). I voted for Seed. (My second favorite is 00.) Seed just... left such an impression on me. I can still hear the ending theme in my head sometimes.

As for 00, I found both seasons engaging and entertaining, not to mention the incredible prettiness of the character designs. The 00 movie was utterly fantastic until spoiler[the final 5 minutes. A GUNDAM COVERED IN FLOWERS. WTF. I saw it at Anime Expo and director Mizushima was in the audience and took questions afterward. I think everyone tried to be polite, but at the sight of the flower-covered Gundam at the end everyone busted out laughing in disbelief.]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Shame Tomino handled them with the grace of a dump truck.

Really it was 50 episodes of Camille whining about how stupid adults are, how war is bad, and "HOW DARE YOU TAKE SOME ONE'S LIFE?! I'LL KILL YOU!!!"

Zeta is my least favourite Gundam series due to its needlessly dark tone and irritating characters. The Argama crew have little chemestry or comradery and every conversation somehow turned into a fight. Victory is my 2nd least favourite because, while dark, the characters were far more likable.

I much prefer the Zeta movies. The addition of something simple like them sitting down and eating some cake together went a long way.

First, Kamille develops greatly throughout the series, becoming a mentor to Katz, learning to focus his rage, when to let things go, what sacrifices need to be made.

The movies cut out huge swaths of story, including vital material like the Kilamanjaro episodes and the Dekar episode and it whimped out in the ending by making it happier. Worse yet, Tomino was happy to do this. It removed almost everything that made Zeta good and it didn't even do it well, it did it in a very sloppy, hapharzard way.

Zeta Gundam is an astoundingly well crafted tragedy whose characters are pushed to the edge, and often over, in a desperate world. Villains win, hopes are dashed, and yet there is an intermittable desire to reach forward to the next generation. Well-executed themes, some great MS designs, classic characters, and an unforgettable conclusion. One of my favorite anime of all time.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LaSean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:48 am Reply with quote
G
08th MS Team
War in The Pocket
Stardust Memories
Chars Counter Attack
MSG
Wing

are my favs

But out of all of them I voted for 00.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
If you didn't vote for X you are a bad person who doesn't like good anime.

I voted for 08th MS Team. It was about a toss-up between that and X, which would have one by a long shot if it was TV series only.
Zump

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:13 am Reply with quote
In the end I voted for the original Mobile Suit Gundam, specifically the Movie Trilogy, because of its iconic cast and because of how Yoshikazu Yasuhiko edited together the TV episodes and even improved some of the animation, especially in the third movie. It gets better as it goes on, and the third movie has space battles that manage to feel epic despite the dated animation. I really liked how Amuro went from surviving most of his battles due to the strength of his mobile suit to being a hardened combat veteran, and the Ramba Ral arc of the second movie was great. Also, the ending scene of the third movie is imo one of the greatest scenes in mecha history.

Edit: After some consideration, I changed my vote to 0080. Skip to my post on page 5 of this thread for the reasons why.

Last edited by Zump on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:38 am Reply with quote
I considered G gundam, but I ended up choosing 00. I feel for the most part that it is the most consistently entertaining. It also has the best soundtrack in my opinion. I would like to see X and Turn A, but who knows if they will ever get licensed.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
^
They probably never will be licensed, so there's no harm in using the readily-available fansubs.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
They probably never will be licensed, so there's no harm in using the readily-available fansubs.
Yeah, you're probaly right. I prefer to leave fansubs as a last resort, but I may have to make an exception in this case.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:07 am Reply with quote
We were all so close to seeing Turn A get legally released and then the rug got pulled at almost the last minute. Such a shame.
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:52 am Reply with quote
WeskerGriff wrote:
TMy vote went for Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket. That series is just extremely memorable. It’s the shortest series listed, but arguably the most emotionally powerful. It doesn’t have any flashy Newtypes or antsy teenage pilots; it just has characters in it who think they are doing the right thing. Also out of all the Gundam series, I think it conveys its message the best. Plus the music is pretty awesome.

This. I would have voted for 0083, but I thought 0080 would have less votes. And besides...

spoiler["Don't cry, Al. Soon there'll be an even bigger war with even cooler mobile suits!"]
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:06 am Reply with quote
God, even after all these years, 0080 is still the tops for me. My very first non-VHS anime purchase, and my first (and only) time I shed tears over an anime. Incredibly powerful, though so completely subdued compared to the Top Gun aspect of 0083 or ridiculous cartooniness of anything AU.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:37 am Reply with quote
Gundam 0080 had good - though not great - emotional impact, but there were some disappointing writing lapses that let the production down. I felt that the second half was much better than the first.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:58 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
becoming a mentor to Katz

Because that turned out so well, didn't it? Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:07 am Reply with quote
Well I voted, but when it went to the results screen it looks like no one has voted for any of them. Question
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:27 am Reply with quote
well give gundam series i seen from wing, 00, sd gundam force, & of course the GS era.

yea no need to guess who KLAC have pick the one with the Lacus on it.

besides give still GS era has done thing than any other non-uc has done give still going in ways only matter til SAVE_US GS era will come back with more to show.

cause after seeing 00-ver rated has bit trust issues with others "hmm" & PG-age gundam were like is so failed in ways stop the time-skips.

only the GS era is worthy in this era of gundam world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9