• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sadamoto's Evangelion Manga to Resume in April

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:
I was going on the GANTZ assumption. I read that Manga and the anime was over well before the end of the manga, which is not over. I did not know the anime of Eva came before the manga, it is usually the other way around.

Sometimes manga are just created as tie-ins to an anime series. The Evangelion manga was published before the anime started, but to promote interest in the upcoming anime.

Evangelion is written by Hideaki Anno, who is the anime director. Yoshiyuki Sadamoto is the character designer, also responsible for drawing the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redd the Sock

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Okay, why was this on hiatus this close to its finale? I mean, I understand crap happens, but over 15 years and counting to put out something that was largely pre-written (though changes and omissions were made) is just plain nuts. We joke around here about which we'll see first: the final volume fo the eva manga, or the final "rebuild of eva" movie, and I bet on the movie.

Jeeze, how many eve side projects and AU manga have been finished in this timeframe?
gwern

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Redd the Sock wrote:
Okay, why was this on hiatus this close to its finale? I mean, I understand crap happens, but over 15 years and counting to put out something that was largely pre-written (though changes and omissions were made) is just plain nuts.

Fans speculate a lot. My own theory, already mentioned on this page, is that Sadamoto is lazy (his portfolio isn't that big for someone who's been at it professionally for... 25 years now?) and is sick of it, which makes him procrastinate even more.

Redd the Sock wrote:

Jeeze, how many eve side projects and AU manga have been finished in this timeframe?

Pretty much all of them, inasmuch as the manga started before any other spinoff and is still running... A couple dozen perhaps?
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:
That truly explains the end of the TV show, it was very weak and made absolutely no sense. I wonder what the real ending is like!

If you haven't seen the original movies and then gone back and rewatched the TV ending, you really should. It definately all comes together and makes more sense (as much as it can I supposed).
The movies visually show a lot of what they talk about in the final episodes. So for me, rewatching the TV ending episodes after the movies really helped.
O-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to point out that Sadamoto isn't a regular manga-ka and I believe the chapters were released on a monthly basis. It could be possible that because he always had some anime project going on while the manga was running he had to shift his focus on whatever else he was doing. During the manga's run he had to work the character designs for the TV series, the movies, FLCL, the .hack franchise, Gunbuster 2, the live action Cutey Honey movie, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, and the new Evangelion movies. Given the level of detail in his work I'm surprised he's continuing the manga at all since it was original supposed to compliment the original anime that came out over 15 years ago. I'm just glad at the irony that he decided to continue JUST when we finally got Volume 12 out.

O-chan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I didn't even know Vol 12 was out!

I heard 12 was supposed to be the last but reading 11 it didn't seem that way to me, if 12 was the last then the ending would've been too rushed. I seems this one can go on until at least 13 or 14.

Who knows, perhaps working on the new films has given him inspiration to take the ending further...

I'm greatly enjoying his take on the manga, as well the new films are definately taking a few cues from it. Particularly with regards to Shinji's character who is more assertive.

Maybe I'll grab Vol 12 later this month when Evan 2.0 releases on blu-ray. I wantto grab Summer Wars on blu-ray too, but nobody has any in stock. Has Funi sent out more?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Sadamoto is certainly our own Japanese George RR Martin. Let's see what's in store for the next volume, or if he even remembers how to draw Evangelion.

700 posts, woo hoo!
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Really hope he finishes it soon as after having just read volume 12 it should be wrapping up in the next volume or two. Of course at the rate the Eva manga has traditionally come out that could be two-five years depending on how long Sadamoto wants to draw this out.
nynextew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
sonickid101 wrote:
and is still going because Sadamoto is either realy busy or realy lazy, we're not sure.

I read somewhere that he flip flops between a lot of projects (because he's in high demand) so I wouldn't say he's lazy.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote
According to the extra commentary included in the Eva mangas Sadamoto works on a LOT of things which is why releases take so long. Probably stuff we don't really see half the time. But we know he is obviously heavily involved in the Rebuild films, and of course there was Summer Wars. Maybe he's back to finishing the manga now because he's finished his part of the work for the next 2 films. Perhaps having worked on the films will change how he approaches the manga's end.
Redd the Sock

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
nynextew wrote:
sonickid101 wrote:
and is still going because Sadamoto is either realy busy or realy lazy, we're not sure.

I read somewhere that he flip flops between a lot of projects (because he's in high demand) so I wouldn't say he's lazy.

Depends on your perspective. I think not following through with a project due to a lack of focus can have a laziness aspct to it. My boss it like that. He takes on a lot of additional duties often only picking the ones he wants to do most, leaving the ones he doesn't want to do behind regardless of how important they are to get done. At the very least, picking the fun projects over the older (and still high demand) projects shows a lack of work ethic.

Personally, I'd have replaced him o this a while ago.
DTJB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
Predicting the series goes on hiatus AGAIN once the penultimate chapter is released. I won't be surprised if it happens.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:07 am Reply with quote
There's also every chance that Mamoru Hosoda has him working on something that hasn't been announced yet. I'm sure he must have another movie going by now, and since Sadamoto's worked on the last two...

Here would be the ultimate joke, though: the theory that the Rebuild movies are spoiler[actually sequels rather than remakes] turns out to be true, and spoiler[another ten volumes become necessary as a result.]
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Here would be the ultimate joke, though: the theory that the Rebuild movies are spoiler[actually sequels rather than remakes] turns out to be true, and spoiler[another ten volumes become necessary as a result.]

Or even more midblowing... spoiler[All Eva products, the manga, the Angelic Days manga, the Raising Project manga, the Campus Apocalypse manga, the crappy videogames, in addition to the rebuild movies are all 'sequels' to the original anime!!! ] Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2