• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Valvrave the Liberator, Gurren Lagann TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I personally just don't see why Westerners need to think they are special and somehow "Deserve" to pay next to nothing for anime. The people who actually fund the industry in Japan pay this kinda price as standard. Why shouldn't others around the world pay the same price? What makes you better then them?

I don't think it's people thinking they are special or above having to pay those prices. It's just that AoA's model isn't how things work in Western markets. Western markets have always been very similar in pricings and people have gotten used to them being "how things work here". Like, if I go onto Amazon I see The Hobbit on pre-order for £10. That's what i've come to accept and deem a fair and reasonable price. And that's what Western Markets are like, reasonable prices that sell to a wider audience so a large portion of the fanbase can enjoy the product. Essentially, it's a "Spread the Wealth/Share the Love" market.

AoA's model is the complete opposite of that. And quite frankly, it comes across as really rude and arrogant. They don't seem to care at all about the market they've stepped into, only that the money continues to roll in.

It's like, if a company is designing a building for 6 months and one of the team leaves. He then gets replaced by someone who comes in and throws all the designs away starts telling everyone how to do things and takes control of all the design work and has final say in everything.
Now, his final design may be great and may well be built but in the process he showed complete disregard for his team and everything they did before his arrival, all for his own ambition. And that's how AoA come across with their approach. They just show complete disregard for how things were here and everyone who makes up the market. (If you can't tell, I truly suck at making examples up Very Happy)

Well, that's my take on it anyway. Their model just isn't how things work here but they don't seem to care. As long as their own pockets get lined why care about everyone else?

Last edited by Volibear on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mirri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
vinnycthatwhoibe wrote:
I simply do not grasp why they can charge so much for a blu-ray set. There are other anime series out on blu-ray that do not cost anywhere near this price and they are LONGER. I love Gurren Lagann, but what on earth justifies this price tag? I mean, FMA Brotherhood is a great series and it's on blu-ray and i can pickup the whole set for what? $70 on amazon?

I realize it's imported and whatever but... these episodes are already ready to go. Just burn 'em to a freaking blu-ray disc, print some box art, and slap a $50 pricetag on the collection. And make a premium set for $75 that includes all the art and booklets.

Until they pull their heads out of the a$$, I'll continue pirating things. FYI, I buy a LOT of anime when it's not a piece of crap release. If they make a proper product and make it available to purchase for a competitive market value, I will happily buy it.

It's not a U.S. release.

Japan has different pricing standards.

If it were cheap and released at the exact same time as Japan then there would be reverse importing.

There's nothing Japanese media companies fear more than reverse importing.

$75 is not a premium collection price. $75 is less than Funimation charges for a 2-cour show and people don't complain about their pricing.

Let's not open the piracy is okay because I don't want to pay that much can of worms, please.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mirri wrote:
It's literally impossible to find it online at the "MSRP" at official online retailers.

I wish this misconception that the MSRP is the price the items sell at would end.

People use MSRP because it's a set standard to which we can compare prices of different products to each other without having to factor in special circumstances like sales. It's set $670, that's what they want you to pay for it at places like FYE who never put new stuff on sale. End of that pedantic side argument.

You can't buy it at FYE. You can only buy it at a few select retailers, like Anime Jungle and Hammergirl Anime, both of which I have never been to so I cannot tell you if they sell at the "MSRP". The online retailers all sell it at the same lower price of $550, except for Animate USA. The primary supplier of this box set is Rightstuf and it's $550 there. You are being too dismissive of the misinformation that is "$670 MSRP"

Aniplex items are essentially (There's been what, two exceptions, ever?) exempt from sales, so there are no special circumstances.

Last edited by Mirri on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:25 pm; edited 4 times in total
Relenus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Considering all the swag it gets you, that actually seems like a pretty appropriate price.

Still, it's shitty that they couldn't be bothered to also make a more affordable version as well for those on a budget, like a DVD set of just the TV show without any of the extras. You'd really think they'd want as wide a release as possible, considering how popular the show is with anime fans.

Oh well, glad I already got the Bandai DVDs years ago.

Edit: Oh what the fudge, the $175 set doesn't include the blu-rays? And in order to get the blu-rays, you have to pay $550 freaking dollars? ALL ABOARD THE HATE TRAIN, NEXT STOP ANIPLEX CHOO CHOO.

I exaggerate of course, but seriously that price is absurd even for all the stuff it gets you.

Last edited by Relenus on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
549$ is totally crossing the line
unless it comes with naked pics of aya hirano I say screw you
japan can keep it Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

I can understand why they are doing this
and the set with extras is very nice
but I dont think they know gurren lagann is a failure in america
and I am certainly not going to pay the same price as a new laptop or more than the cost of two iphones.

if you asked the average american otaku, "who is kamina?"
they would pobably ask if he was in naruto or dragonball.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
The problem here is less "Lol Aniplex" and more that there was a well-priced set that already existed. Aniplex doesn't have to do anything to release a cheap set. Keep the sets they have, and then release a barebones one as well for cheaper.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
There is no way in hell I am paying 100 dollars for what amounts to the Soundtrack for Gurren Lagann. I bought the anime when it came out for thirty dollars and I could care less about post cards.
Mirri

potatochobit wrote:
549$ is totally crossing the line
unless it comes with naked pics of aya hirano I say screw you
japan can keep it Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

I can understand why they are doing this
and the set with extras is very nice
but I don't think they know gurren lagann is a failure in america
and I am certainly not going to pay the same price as a new laptop or more than the cost of two iphones.

if you asked the average american otaku, "who is kamina?"
they would pobably ask if he was in naruto or dragonball.

It's an import.
It's not made for the American fans.
Also, it's barely the cost of one iPhone. Subsidies do not a retail price make.
BrandonL337

Christ, while i expected the burays to be around that price area the DVD price is just f**king absurd. a funimation boxset with artbox is at most $60-$80.

I got Lain for $60 and both parts of Index came out to about $75 or so.

While that box is dead sexy, stickers and post cards do not even close to justify nearly doubling the price i would pay for a high end funi release. The soundtrack CDs are nice but again, not worth $30 something each.

now, if they had included the movies and the other CDs with that then we'd be getting somewhere, i'd be perfectly fine paying $150 for all that, it's a quality show and it'd be cool to have everything related to it in one box.

I would love to own Gurren Lagann, and while i might pick this up waaaay down the line, I doubt it, I may just go trawling through amazon and ebay and hope to find the anime legends for a reasonable price.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
It's an import.

You can get the iPhone5 with full fixins' for $399.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
$670?! I bought a new tailored suit for a third of that!

When your Blu Ray box is more expensive than the PS4 playing it, you have failed at capitalism!
YuYuUrameshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I only clicked on the article to see how outrageous the pricing would be, assuming it would be around 200 dollars and I'd be disgusted. 670? I pray for those select few willing to spend that money.

I just want to buy some of my favorite more recent series in simple blu ray cases, so they can go next to all my favorite movies and series. But that appears to be impossible.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen the first six eppies of Gurren Lagann - and it doesn't do much for me, I have to say. Does it get better?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I've only seen the first six eppies of Gurren Lagann - and it doesn't do much for me, I have to say. Does it get better?

If you like wacky high energy super robot stuff. Otherwise, most of the fans were people caught up in the moment when it aired, and the immediate word of mouth for a small while after that.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I think we can honestly say that AoA officially done goofed this time. Looking around the internet, the response to this has been overwhelmingly negative. Even the people who want to buy it say they can't afford it.

This might just be the straw that breaks the Aniplex camel's back. Hey, I can dream, can't I? Razz

Blood- wrote:

Watch the next two episodes. Then you'll understand.

Last edited by SpacemanHardy on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mirri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mirri wrote:
It's an import.

You can get the iPhone5 with full fixins' for $399.

I am derailing the thread with this, so this is the last thing I am going to post on this specific sub-topic.

No, you can't. That's subsidized. You have to sign a two-year contract for that. A 16GB iPhone 5 is $649 sans-subsidy. A 64GB iPhone 5 is $849 sans-subsidy.

The GL BD Box is expensive. It's too expensive. It's more expensive to buy this batch import than it is to buy the Japanese release off Amazon.co.jp with International Express shipping that will likely get the box to you a good 2-4 days before Rightstuf's batch will. But other than that it's Japanese pricing, so it's normal.

The DVD box is definitely a little bit pricey. I would've liked to see it at $150 or $160. Rightstuf's still got 16 copies of the Anime Legends edition, for those of you who want to jump on it before the $50-full-series boat has sailed.

I think that AoA is getting a little bit ballsy with their pricing :/

edit: bolded that part for people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 24