• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Variety: Dragon Ball Z Is Top Non-U.S. Film Overseas

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Snowballx wrote:
There's absolutely no doubt in my mind DBZ fans here in the states > Japan. It has always been huge here. No anime has done what DBZ has done here in the states. I mean Jesus. lol Pokemon/Yugioh are huge but not as big as DBZ here. It's the most mainstream here in the states anyway.

The unfortunate thing is I know you're probably being completely serious here.
A5J4DX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
thanks to the Z fans! Unleash it on an international scale and you'll see the box office turning super saiyan!
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
Kutsu wrote:
vangelionite88 wrote:
it will go over 50 mill easy.

Are you talking worldwide or Japan ?

In Japan, absolutely no chance.

Worldwide, not happening unless it's released in movie theaters in the US and does decently there.

it should be close to breaking 40 million, or is it not so popular in japan anymore?

It's still very popular. 3 billion yen ($32 million) is a lot for an anime movie from a manga/anime franchise (in fact it will be a franchise record for Dragon Ball both in yen and $ gross). Only a select few (Pokemon, Doraemon, Conan, Evangelion and One Piece when Oda is involved) manage to gross that or more (with the first three doing it on a yearly basis).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Snowballx wrote:
There's absolutely no doubt in my mind DBZ fans here in the states > Japan. It has always been huge here. No anime has done what DBZ has done here in the states. I mean Jesus. lol Pokemon/Yugioh are huge but not as big as DBZ here. It's the most mainstream here in the states anyway.

It's popular here. It's an institution there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
The film outperformed the first estimations and managed to beat Doraemon 34's huge opening week-end (helped a bit by IMAX and a higher average ticket price) :

¥683,924,950 ($7.32 million) with 561,098 admissions for 'Dragon Ball Z Battle of the God' against Doraemon 34's ¥667,291,850 ($7.2 million) and 597,899 admissions.

$30 million is now a certainty. $40 million is possible if it has good legs. Regardless, Toei will certainly be very happy. Laughing

source : World of KJ
Tochiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
Caught this on my way home from work last night (yay for 1000yen movies on the 1st of each month!).
The cinema was certainly cramming in as many sessions as they could and while there wasnt much of a line to get in, the cinema was pretty much at capacity for the 9pm session.
IMO its a fun, if short, flick full of nostalgia and fan service. Bills is a MUCH better character than I expected him to be. Yamadera did an awesome job on his voice. Also, the fact that Masako Nozawa still does a great Goku at the age of 76 is humbling. The woman has (Dragon) balls!

Certain cinemas got an exclusive extended cut of the Captain Harlock trailer too, which was just icing on the cake Smile
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Snowballx wrote:

DBZ's popularity in the states doesn't compare to the immense level of its popularity in its home country.
Just compare the vast amount of DBZ merchandise and goods produced and sold in Japan to the small amount that's shipped over to the USA.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote
RagnaVII wrote:
Dragon Ball as a whole hasn't been to hot in Japan, since the early 2000s and Kai bombed.

Source?
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:01 am Reply with quote
dragon ball, according to people i've talked to that live in japan, is definitely not a current mainstream hit series along the lines of naruto or one piece right now; it is more of a nostalgic series that used to be massively popular there.

it's probably along the lines of how speed racer or sailormoon or voltron are in america: lots of people know the name, but it's not exactly a series the average young person has read or watched themselves. that would explain why toei wasn't expecting this to beat the latest one piece film sales.

like a few have pointed out, kai didn't do amazingly well in japan, so i was kinda wondering how well this would do in japan, so i guess this is good news for db fans. the next one probably won't do as well, though, considering a lot of this has to due to nostalgia and the huge amount of promotion thrown into reigniting the franchise.

Last edited by Keiichi-chan on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
i think people are getting confused because they're conflating popularity with cultural penetration?

dragon ball dvds and merchandise may sell way better overseas, technically, but it probably has a much stronger pop culture relevance there. even though kai did better in america than in japan, you're not going to see stand-up comedians parodying kamemehas in america, the way you would in japan.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
RagnaVII wrote:
Dragon Ball as a whole hasn't been to hot in Japan, since the early 2000s and Kai bombed.

Source?
Kai didn't bomb, exactly, but it toy sales fell while it was on the air.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2