• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
@tenzen12
That wasn't what I meant, but I see how it can be read that way. When I said "they," I meant the characters, as in the original context. Maybe I should edit that for clarity.

Edit: Okay, that's done.

Last edited by Parse Error on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Clarste wrote:
Outwardly they're the same archetype, inwardly they're not. Is this really so hard to understand?
And people are trying to explain it to you and you still don't get it.

The only thing I'm not getting is why I keep replying to people who are obviously just upset because I didn't heap glowing praise on the show they like, and aren't bothering to read anything I post except for what's convenient for stuffing their strawmen. Why do you assume that I don't already understand that they have different internal motives?

Because your original complaint focused only on the most superficial nature of the archetypes while still dismissing them for being generic. While it's a reasonable decision to say they're generic anyway, and I can't argue with that, you gave no indication that you had looked beyond the archetypes.

And, honestly, saying a show is similar to another show simply because one character has one incredibly common trope associated with them just gave me the impression that you had a very shallow reading of it, and nothing you said afterwards contradicted that. Apologies if that wasn't your intent, but that's how I read it.
tenzen12

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
That is pretty much all I wanted convey, but better and in single post.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
tenzen12 wrote:
It has different focus and aproach.

Of course, it just gave me a similar feeling, which I pointed out from the start was probably helped substantially by the fact that OreShura is still fresh in my mind. Another example of that would be how, for me, Date A Live easily fills the void left by Vividred Operation, even though they're quite different. They're each still highly derivative, but for the reasons I already explained up front, I do not see that as an inherently bad thing.

Clarste wrote:
And, honestly, saying a show is similar to another show simply because one character has one incredibly common trope associated with them

For the record, what I said was that the female leads were "somewhat similar." I never made any comparisons between the shows themselves, only mentioned that they gave me a similar feeling.

As per my above response to tenzen12, as well as my original statement, the characters were not even the primary reason I believed was responsible, which was instead that I'm going almost immediately into one rom-com directly from another. That wasn't even meant as a criticism against the show, I was only giving it a passing mention because several others had said they were reminded of Haganai.

Clarste wrote:
Because your original complaint focused only on the most superficial nature of the archetypes while still dismissing them for being generic.

I referred to the characters as uninspired. Generic was how I described the show thus far, or its premise if you will. For the moment it hasn't given me a reason to feel either of those is false, but sometimes the first episode or even first few episodes can be misleading.

My major issue with this first episode is that, for me as a viewer, it didn't make the series stand out enough over its predecessors. That is, if somebody were to ask me right now why I would choose to watch this show with these characters instead of something else from the same general category, I would not yet have a strong answer for that. I may end up with one after another episode or two, but then again I may not in which case there's not much reason for me to watch it past that point.

Last edited by Parse Error on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
tenzen12

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I would like quote one person from Anime-suki forum (page 8, if you wanna check)

Quote:
To be honest, from what I have read about it, a lot of people have problems identifying if there romance in the novel or not

I'm inclined to bet that the anime staff is going to go out of their way to make things look a bit more romantic, though. The op "hints" at a pretty clear love triangle

Even if half of it is true, I don't think Oregairu fit to be labeled as Generic harem based on comedic antics and fanservice. Which is "general category" of it's "precedessors".

To put it bluntly I belive you comparing dogs and cats. With claim cat are worse cause it isn't dog-like enough. (I am cat person btw)
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Note: Anyone who would prefer to skip the oncoming wall of text may use this link to do so.

tenzen12 wrote:
To put it bluntly I belive you comparing dogs and cats. With claim cat are worse cause it isn't dog-like enough.

Well, for general category, actually I would take its English title at face value and go with Romantic Comedy. I do, however, have a greater tendency to like the Magical Girlfriend and Harem subgenres than their more conventional counterparts, which indeed may be part of the reason I felt underwhelmed.

Even if we eliminate the idea of comparisons from the equation, though, another way of putting it is that it hasn't hooked me yet. If I had to provide a reason for watching the next episode, the only one I could offer is that many shows I've ended up enjoying immensely didn't hook me with their first episodes either, so as long as it isn't offensively bad it deserves more of a chance. If the other characters turn out to be more interesting or entertaining than the ones so far, then I'll probably stick with it. If they aren't then I won't hesitate to drop it, not because it's awful and everyone should hate it, but because otherwise it would just take up time that I could spend watching something more exciting or enjoyable to me.

Obviously I'm pessimistic about its chances, but the reason for this, the thing I was criticizing the show for, is that it came across as unambitious. Some anime try to stand out through outrageous amounts of fanservice, others by having an absurd or controversial premise, still others by taking existing ideas and either twisting and combining them into nearly unrecognizable forms or simply dancing so merrily through the whole pile of stale cliches that they seem fresh all over again, and so on. This one just shuffles onto the stage and mumbles, "Hello, I exist. Can I go take a nap now?" Again, that doesn't make it a terrible show, and I'm not asking anyone to hate it or even agree that its vigor is lacking. All I'm saying, and was trying to say before, is that I personally would need to sense more vitality from it and its characters in order to enjoy it for more than a few episodes.

Clarste wrote:
you gave no indication that you had looked beyond the archetypes

I will try one last time to explain where I do not see eye to eye with you and tenzen12 regarding the characterization. At this stage, what a character says about themselves and their own thoughts and motives is just dialogue as far as I'm concerned, by itself it should not make a significant contribution to their characterization this soon. For example, they may claim to be an idiot, but only the fact that they claim this could possibly be considered characterization. It does not, or at least should not, immediately establish them as an idiot, just somebody who claims to be one. Maybe they are actually a genius with low self-esteem, or perhaps one who wants their enemies to underestimate them, so it can't be taken at face value right away.

There are countless actual examples of this from within anime itself, as evidenced by pretty much every protagonist who describes themselves as an "ordinary high school student." Am I also to ignore their psychic powers or giant robot once they claim to be ordinary teenagers, with ordinary school lives, even as they fly around and fight aliens? Sakurai Tomoki also blurted out his entire life's philosophy constantly from the outset, but it was a fake one created to suppress his adventurous spirit after it got his friends injured and left him mostly alone.

Thus, I don't agree with having a few bits of dialogue used to claim my impressions of what was firmly established were completely off, when there wasn't any disagreement on the points that were in any way relevant. I knew very well tenzen12 was talking about a different concept, it's a distinction you pulled straight from one of my posts for the sake of insinuating that I couldn't even manage to comprehend my very own thoughts. What I could not understand is how an apple being red disproves that an orange is orange.

Interestingly, you mentioned the idea she was one of those characters so beautiful and talented that it alienated her from people was just a joke on her part, but I'm not really seeing where you get that from other than perhaps the MC's initial "first world problems" style of reaction, along with her own rather nonchalant attitude about her circumstances. She was also using it as a means to tease him at first, when he made that expression, before she started elaborating on it.

However, surely the incidents she described thereafter are things that actually occurred, and his thoughts a few moments later, in the subs I watched, were:
Quote:
Yukinosita is suffering because of her talent.
It wouldn't have been very hard to hide that from others.
That's because it's what most everyone in the world does.
But Yukinosita doesn't do that.
She would never lie to herself.

A different translation I checked was fairly close to that as well. The expression he's wearing certainly doesn't suggest there's any sarcasm in his internal monologue, either. How, then, could this entire aspect of her character be nothing more than a joke, when it's being treated seriously throughout everything from backstory to body language?

Clarste wrote:
Apologies if that wasn't your intent, but that's how I read it.

I can't help but to wonder if perhaps, by any chance, this show has been getting bashed elsewhere as some sort of blatant ripoff of something, and I inadvertently stepped on a landmine by mentioning another series because I haven't gotten the chance to read anyone's impressions beyond some of what was posted here? There had to have been something more going on here than innocent misinterpretation, as though something someone else said somewhere had become mentally superimposed over my words. All anyone seems to have noticed in my original post would look just like this:
Quote:
blah blah blah female leads blah blah blah similar blah blah blah OreShura blah blah blah generic blah blah blah this one blah blah blah same blah blah blah its recent predecessors blah blah blah characters blah blah blah uninspired blah blah blah I'm going to be letting this one go in a hurry.

The sad thing is, the whole reason for bringing up OreShura in the first place was to gently call some attention to the fact that it's only natural to be reminded of whichever school-setting-rom-com one last watched. I never expected such a trivial and innocuous statement to mutate spontaneously and instantaneously into the bone of contention.

tl;dr:
tenzen12

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Something like that.

Anyway, you might like third episode, which will be quite generic. And if its genericness will not improve by fourth I will be forced aknowledge most of your points (not all of course).
Parse Error

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
tenzen12 wrote:
if its genericness will not improve by fourth

I don't really want that aspect itself to improve, just for the series to capitalize more on the fact that it doesn't seem to be taking any huge risks so far. Building onto a design that's already been gradually refined through much trial and error has its benefits. If an anime doesn't need to invest a lot of effort in its basic framework, it can take advantage of that to excel at one or two of the details. Maybe this one already does, but just not at any details that would appeal to me and make me notice. Giving it two or three more episodes to see if it's doing anything for me by then shouldn't be any problem though.

Last edited by Parse Error on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
tenzen12

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I said it a bit wrong. I meant if it REMAIN generic by fourth I will aknowledge your point (of it being insufficient as generic show). In other hand by improving I ment it will return back how it is now (means what you call unappealing).

To make it even more clearer I and people who likes it now mostly do that cause its atypical traits that separate it from mainstream romance. Irony, conflict of different live philosophies, and exaggerated cynical insights in youth itself.

You and other people of similiar opinions on other hand either doesn't see or just doesn't appreciate these traits in this particular show (you said it's later if I am not mistaken), but without this you obviously get only bland and boring show.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
tenzen12 wrote:
To make it even more clearer I and people who likes it now mostly do that cause its atypical traits that separate it from mainstream romance.

That works, I get what you're saying now. Well, it's fair to say I didn't appreciate those traits the way they were handled during this episode, but it still may be possible for me to enjoy them with only some relatively minor presentational tweaks.

tenzen12 wrote:
you said it's later if I am not mistaken

True, but it wouldn't feel like I gave the series a fair chance to show me what it has to offer if I dropped it right now.
tenzen12

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:04 pm Reply with quote
As I said before third episode will be piss me off very much, so you might like. (I don't wanna spoil a much)
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Eh, not much going on in episode 2 either. First half was really dull, but I did enjoy spoiler[seeing Hiki puss out when he tried to defend Yui from her "friends"] I must admit I busted out laughing there.
I liked the second half of the episode though with Hiki's gym partner. As someone who is also writing a light novel, it was nice seeing how many things can be wrong with a person work without them noticing. Time to revise lol
All in all, this episode was better than the first, but it needs to have more going on. It's still boring :/
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh so even this show has a case of spoiler[chuunibyou] involved. At first though, I thought that Yoshiteru reminds me of Daru but the more I see him now, he's more like the fun guy of the show.

Looking forward to more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I think the thing is this series just is not wacky, which is why it comes off as a little dull, which may very well be the whole point. Real life is not wacky, you get stupid little fights, awful things involved with social hierarchy, shallow perceptions, and people who think they are above all that.

In fact the chuunibyou character they introduced had a big part in driving it home, he was wacky and actually came off as pretty gross. Different is gross, and there is irony as this series is rather different. The main guy is not even really liked by the girls, they treat him harshly, he acts harshly back. But at the same time he is kind, just that he gets punished each time he helps. I would not be surprised if he continues to be punished each time he ends up in what might be good situation.

I liked his line with the teacher, it is like you knew he was going to be hurt, but he still did it.
Riddley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying the show so far. My only complain is that I would like them to have kept him relationship neutral till the end. But as it stands, I think it's pretty obvious who is going to win out. It just annoys me that they felt it necessary to point it out when I think the other premise in the anime actually makes it interesting enough to watch on it's own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 19