• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fox News on Anime and Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why Fox would write about this. Anime has nothing to do with the heartwrenching mystery of pretty white girls disappearing in the tropics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Alright, one more time: do not babble on about how Fox News sucks or whatever unless it is directly relevant to this article or any other anime/manga coverage they've done.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Pointing out the low-grade bottom-feeding partisan pandering nature of Fox News is relevant because it indicates that any coverage they provide to anime is going to be pitched pretty low. Their coverage of anything is going to be aimed at the lowest common denominator, and that goes for anime and manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
Pointing out the low-grade bottom-feeding partisan pandering nature of Fox News is relevant because it indicates that any coverage they provide to anime is going to be pitched pretty low. Their coverage of anything is going to be aimed at the lowest common denominator, and that goes for anime and manga.

Honestly, did you even read the article? Even a short one page blurb on anime in their entertainment section is bottom-feeding partisanship? This makes about as much sense as the several times I've heard about FoxSports' "right-wing" sports coverage.

Hyperbolize much?
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"I think it's such a cultural thing that it won't work in the U.S.," said Jonathan Hung, a Hollywood "lit" manager who represents some of the industry's top screenwriting talent.
This one's my favorite from the article. Now he represents the screenwriting industry that has produced such awesome films in the past that do so well on their own at the box office [/sarcasm]. I looked him up on imdb, he's got one credit to his name (unless its not the same person, which it probably isn't.) Either way, I cannot find anything noteworthy this man has done.

Honestly, with so many movies ripped off Japanese films (Ring, Ring 2, The Grudge, The Magnificent Seven, etc), yeah, it's definitely a cultural difference that will never work in the US. [/sarcasm] The biggest problem is just getting over the stigma that anime and manga is for kids and pedophiles. (Yeah, it makes me sick saying it too.)
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Since when did Avatar become an anime?

Quote:
Non-Japanese kids' cartoons, such as the American "Teen Titans" and the French "Totally Spies!," are heavily influenced by anime, while Nickelodeon's hit series "Avatar" is pure anime, only completely written and voiced by Americans.

To my knowledge, Avatar: The Last Airbender is an American cartoon that was very heavily influenced by anime and its style, and Asian mythology.

So now if it looks like the real thing, then it is? Rolling Eyes
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Avatar is an American cartoon that is anime inspired.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Avatar.....pure anime? I wonder where they got that from. Overall, I thought it was an extremely biased review.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Well that kinda falls into the discussion of what is and isn't "Anime"

I think the article was dumb. I laughed at some parts, mostly Hung's quotes.

also

GATSU wrote:

Hey, now! Di$ney knows that movies like Valiant and Chicken Little =box office gold. Well hopefully Chicken Little after Valiant's pitiful take last weekend. Smile

God, that movie looks like it sucks. Laughing
bitterbohemian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I just broke the spine of my Journalism 101 textbook trying to find all the major NO NO's contained in this article.

I cannot see Mr. Hung as an anime expert, but a man who understands the hollywood machine, and the view of "Hollywood" is important to take into account.

What I don't understand, is why no one in these major media outlets at least addresses Anime DVD sales. While it is still a niche market, there is still a considerable amount of revenue being made on DVD sales ,as well as manga.

Oh, and how come the increasing female fanbase gets ignored?
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I just find it funny that in the article, they still used shows like "Yu-gi-oh" and "Pokemon" as prime examples of anime.

I was wondering, they could pick any of the adult swim animes and make the article seem more diverse in it's anime/manga coverage.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:

Honestly, did you even read the article? Even a short one page blurb on anime in their entertainment section is bottom-feeding partisanship? This makes about as much sense as the several times I've heard about FoxSports' "right-wing" sports coverage.

I don't object to Fox having a political agenda; I read and enjoy the National Review, which also has a conservative/right wing stance. My problem with Fox is the way they dumb it down, hype it up, and spoon feed; problems which are well represented in this article. I thought the article was about as lucid, substantive and insightful as the notion that a sensational missing person case deserves more coverage than Supreme Court nominations.
LilyChan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Where to start... where to start...

The Final Fantasy movie, in my opinon, could've done better if it wasn't rushed and had a better male lead/voice actor.

The anime movies in the theatres could be better if it was actually advertised then once a week or every few days. I didn't know about Howl's Moving Castle till Monday that week when I was watching Adult Swim that night. And it would've done better if there weren't so many damn purists as well.

How can one turn a manga into live action? Perhaps they got confused with anime. -shrugs-

Avatar: The Last Airbender was actually made in a Spanish country (Not sure where. Anime dazed) and just aired here. But it's still anime. Anime is just short for animation. Yes that includes Teen Titans and Totally Spies. >>

Apparently, the female fanbase are non-existant to FOX. But hell, if they use stereotypes their articles, they'll get their point accross! Rolling Eyes Especially when they bring up Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon /sarcasm. (I love Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh >>)

How lovely they chose 4Kids, completely ignoring Bandai, ADV, Genon, and others...But then again, 4Kids are probably more well-known anyway...

I thought Treasure Planet did better then Sinbad and had more of a fanbase? Or was I looking at things wrong? o_O;

Anyway, I lack sleep so things might not make sense. Anime hyper -dies-
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:58 am Reply with quote
JMays wrote:
Proman wrote:
06falcon wrote:
its this type of article that makes me hate fox news.

Is there any other kind? Seriously, Fox News is horrible.

Enough. Back up your opinions with relevant facts, or don't bother posting.

Article on Bill O'Rielly and his history of "No Spin."

I mean, seriously, if one of their most well-known figures on Fox News can be this horrible, it says alot about Fox News as a whole.
championferret

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:47 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Ataru wrote:
Quote:
Simply, manga (rhymes with "bang-a")

I'm sorry, I had to stop there becasue my sides start to turn a blood red. Back at..
Quote:
is Japanese for "comics." Dishpan-sized eyes, samurai-like movements and girls in microscopic miniskirts are a few of its tell-tale elements.
Thanks Fox. If it wasn't for Bill O'Raily, I would so block you.

Was this internet only or did air on TV?

Actually, i pronounce "manga" as in the element "Manganese". That rhymes with "Bang-a", but I don't know where they pulled that one from....
I always hear it as "monga" where the "a" is phonically sounding like "ah" whenever it is spoken in Japanese. So I say it that way too.

The ways of the americans continue to intrigue me. I am unable to comprehend how 'o' can possible sound like 'a'. It's maanga, almost 'munga'.
Then again, americans have never been able to properly pronounce the vowel 'o' for some reason, going 'ar' or a horrible 'oh' sound like how they pronounced 'Chobits', even though the japanese say it so it rhymes with 'hobbits'.
Anyway, to the point; I love how they (fox news) completely avoided the fact that Spirited Away kicked the asses of the *gasp* AMERICAN ANIMATED MOVIES!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6