• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Ordinary Life (Nichijou) (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote
My Ordinary Life (Nichijou) (TV)

[EDIT: The English title that Crunchyroll is using has been added. - Key]

Grab a giant bowl, add Azumanga Daioh into it, throw in some Lucky Star , put in a bit of Pani Poni Dash , and you have possibly the best comedy of the season in Nichijou

Nichijou is based off a Japanese comedy manga by Keiichi Arawi. Basically, it's the formula of every high school comedy - a group of friends go through high school while shinanigans and wacky events happen around them.

Last edited by SonicRenegade84 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I hope episode 0 isn't representative of the series as a whole. Some of it was amusing, but generally I found it too drawn-out. I'll give it more of a chance.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote
^^^^

I have to agree, about as slow as the first couple episodes of Lucky Star or as meandering as a conversation in Hidamari Sketch or sections of Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru, without the otaku humorof LS or the interesting art compostion of the Shaft shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
To add to the two above posts, with which I agree completely, I find their animation to be... very lacking. Like they're trying to cut down on everything. For a studio that makes things like Disappearance, this looks like a project by their junior interns.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Nuuuu, my streak of making KyoAni series threads is over! Crying or Very sad

Ahhh well! Episode 0!!!

I wonder if every episode is going to be split into in 3 parts. First part: Hmmm, I get the gag of trying to overcome one's failure on a test, but it felt pretty dragged on which made the punchline in the end kind of weak.

Second part: I see comedic potential with the child professor, a robot girl who takes care of that child professor, and a talking cat who thinks he's all that in this one. I grinned in this one.

Third part: I like this one; it was short and straight to the point with each girl laying down from top to bottom inside the train with the glasses girl laying on the overhead compartment with the luggage....wait, what?

Mister V wrote:
To add to the two above posts, with which I agree completely, I find their animation to be... very lacking. Like they're trying to cut down on everything. For a studio that makes things like Disappearance, this looks like a project by their junior interns.

Obviously, a lot of the good staff are working on the upcoming K-ON movie so this series may become an afterthought. I wonder Kadokawa is aware of this when they commissioned them to adapt this.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I was really looking forward to this series, but I am not particularly excited anymore after watching the OVA. The initial impression the OVA projected was very similar to the wholesome family entertainment that can be expected from the likes of Sazae-san or Doraemon, which isn’t the kind of show that appeals to me. I’ve never come across a first episode from Kyoto Animation that has failed to at least peak my interest in the show, but given that Kyoto Animation has never, in my eyes, made a bad show means I’ll stick with it for the foreseeable future.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:45 am Reply with quote
Probably one of the hardest bits looking at this show is you can not help but compare it to a bunch of shows. I will use KyoAni first as examples. It felt a bit Lucky Star meets K-ON!, kind of simplistic art style (not necessarily bad) with some observational humour, and the chemestry kind of felt like between the K-ON! girls. Oh and you could be forgiven for thinking Lucky Chanel during the middle with Minoru Shiraishi playing a talking cat, and the seiyuu behind Akira Kogame playing a cutesy kind of bratty kid, and sweets. Not that I did not like the kid, the shark bit was kind of out of the blue yet I liked it.

Now that kid's outfit straight away kind of feels like Bekky from Pani Poni Dash, got to admit there were a few screwball moments that fitted PPD. I am a bit wary about some of that as I have not really finished PPD slightly becasue I did not find it's feeling very compelling to have to watch, well kind of simular story to why I did not get past the first episode of Hidimari Sketch.

I would say that I pretty much like what I saw, big KyoAni fan so I doubt there will be much stopping me from watching this series, I waited for it long enough, and it is not K-ON!. I heard that stuff hapends in the background as some sort of joke, did not really see much, except maybe a female teacher chasing after a male student for some reason.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
So I take it I'm the only who thoroughly enjoyed Episode 0? I found parts 1 and 3 pretty hilarious, even though part 1 was up and down. The second part was certainly alright, but I was apprehensive at first since I hate talking animals. However, once the cat got distracted by the butterfly and then played with the tissues, I got several good laughs.

I'm certainly excited for the first episode of the TV series.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:39 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
So I take it I'm the only who thoroughly enjoyed Episode 0?

Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed it, I just try to not get too excited and also accept some criticism. Despite what I wrote I did not think of it as some giant mesh or genre copier.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 1.....what the hell did I just watch?!! Shocked

This is definitely going to be one of KyoAni's more bizarre series. At least the animation is up to their standards, and the music is pretty godly (Yuuji Nomi is doing the music!!!).

It has such a relaxing atmosphere with a bunch of strangeness going on at the same time. The comedy will definitely vary depending on your taste as usual. Hmmm, imagine 2 cours of this! Laughing
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:52 am Reply with quote
the animation definitely helps this series, i don't think the scene with falling wiener would of been half as funny without the ridiculous animation to back it up lol.

will definitely keep watching this one. also it has an awesome op.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:59 am Reply with quote
That episode 0 was a complete disaster in comparison to episode 1. If they keep this up this series is guaranteed to be on a solid 7/10, but I really wonder just how old this is gonna get, considering that episode 1 used most of the cast.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote
I didn't mind episode 1, but I wonder if I'll have the patience to stick with it. I have a feeling there will be a ton of shows I'll be following this season and it will be tempting to ditch anything that isn't truly floating my boat.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
I like it. Episode 1 at least told us what the deal was with the girl with the bog key coming out of her back, she is indeed a robot/android who was made as a companion by an infant scientest. And apparently the whole point of her key is so it can be turned spoiler[and shoot her toe out like a rocket], now that is random, not saying random is always good but have not got a problem yet.

Although episode one was better then number 0 I still think it may have at least created a pillow to soften the weirdness, actually that does not sound right, grr I can't put that thought into proper words. One thing that really surprises me is that the glasses girl who reads books is surprisingly moe, she looks kind of like Madoka's Homura, yet sounds kind of like Nagato with emotion.

Also the goat thing, humourusly odd, and that was some daydream.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:13 am Reply with quote
Hilarious. I'm going to absolutely love this show, I can feel it. I would bust out laughing what seemed like every 5 seconds. That wiener-thing was my favorite part.

And even though I've seen two shows this season so far, this is best OP/ED tandem.

I'm also going be getting a lot of avatars from this show; I already have 4 between episode 0 and this episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4