• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Sentai in Talks Over Former Bandai Entertainment Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
FPS, the Nichijou license can't go to Funi because Bandai no longer has it. Nichijou's been up for grabs but nobody wants it. And for good reason, it was a major bomb in Japan, and it's no Cowboy Bebop to do that good in the US.

Nichijou wasn't a major flop. It had first volume sales around 4k. However KyoAni did say that it was a commercial failure as they spent more than average on it's animation. Tamako Market would be considered a flop with sales around 2k. Nichijou was licensed in AU?NZ and you can buy the subbed there.

Also, there seems to be this myth that Cowboy Bebop was a failure in Japan which is incorrect. In terms of sales it ranks 5th of anime made before 2000 with sales of 16k on release and another 30k on rerelease.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Is it just me or is this news title misleading?
From what I gather, this news is simply that FUNimation and Sentai are in talks to license Sunrise titles that were formally licensed by Bandai Entertainment.
So that's stuff like the Gundam series, Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, My Hime, My Otome, Kurokami... just to name a few.

So...I'm not quite sure why people are mentioning stuff like K-ON, Haruhi, Lucky Star etc, since they are from completely different companies.

The reason for why people are mentioning those titles is that the news article implies that both Sentai Filmworks and Funimation are open to picking up former Bandai Entertainment articles in general, which gives individuals (myself included) the impression that they may also be interested in rescuing non-Sunrise titles as well (who says they are going to stop at Sunrise titles with regards to Bandai Entertainment license rescues).

Personally, I hope that this is part of larger talks and discussions with regards to picking up former Bandai Entertainment titles (the series that I am really crossing my fingers for are Lucky Star and Nichijou).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Also, there seems to be this myth that Cowboy Bebop was a failure in Japan which is incorrect. In terms of sales it ranks 5th of anime made before 2000 with sales of 16k on release and another 30k on rerelease.

It obviously did well enough for a theatrical feature.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

People want to shape the history so that it comes off like westerners discovered this abandoned anime and were able to cherish it like a gem, unlike the neanderthal otaku. Yeah, that never happened. They just never turned Cowboy Bebop into the pedestal-topping reverent god king of anime like western fandom does.

Now, if Michiko to Hatchin sets the western fandom on fire for a decade, then you can make those above claims. That series was an abject failure.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun May 26, 2013 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Nichijou wasn't a major flop. It had first volume sales around 4k. However KyoAni did say that it was a commercial failure as they spent more than average on it's animation.

No, it wasn't a flop. It sold, somewhat. But it was a bomb, because they lost a lot of money on it. Flop != Bomb.

Tamako, on the other hand, is a flop.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

People want to shape the history so that it comes off like westerners discovered this abandoned anime and were able to cherish it like a gem, unlike the neanderthal otaku. Yeah, that never happened. They just never turned Cowboy Bebop into the pedestal-topping reverent god king of anime like western fandom does.

Now, if Michiko to Hatchin sets the western fandom on fire for a decade, then you can make those above claims. That series was an abject failure.

I cannot believe there are people that think Cowboy Bebop was a domestic bomb. It practically DOMINATED Japan in 1999! Sure during its brief test run on TVTokyo during late 1998 it got a slow start, but its move to NTV in January 1999 resulted in it being one of the highest rated programs on NTV and the top hit anime of 1999.

As for Cowboy Bebop's license rescue, predictably it will certainly go to Funimation. Mai Hime,K-ON will likely go to Sentai.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I hope Sentai doesn't get any of the better titles. They'll just screw things up.

It'd be great to get the Cowboy Bebop Blu-Rays. Oh, and the Zeta Gundam Blu-Rays.

You're a troll, aren't you?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I hope Sentai doesn't get any of the better titles. They'll just screw things up.

It'd be great to get the Cowboy Bebop Blu-Rays. Oh, and the Zeta Gundam Blu-Rays.

You're a troll, aren't you?

Oh yeah, all 5029 posts of mine have just been an extremely time intensive trolling attempt. All part of my nine year plan to troll ANN. You caught me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Nichijou wasn't a major flop. It had first volume sales around 4k. However KyoAni did say that it was a commercial failure as they spent more than average on it's animation.

No, it wasn't a flop. It sold, somewhat. But it was a bomb, because they lost a lot of money on it. Flop != Bomb.

Tamako, on the other hand, is a flop.

Even then, I heard something about the way they advertised Nichijou, or perhaps the way they released the DVDs/BDs [Too many variants?] is what killed it, though I obviously don't have exact details. The show does have a decent enough following that I can still see it getting licensed.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.

Considering Bandai products were available prior to their departure, and didn't move well (until they left), this seems questionable to me.

While I can certainly understand some title acquisitions, it boggles my mind why any R1 company would pick up titles that obviously didn't move when Bandai sold them.

At any rate, there are only two titles I'd like to see, and neither were originally released in R1: Cowboy Bebop on bluray and Gosick, hopefully on bluray as well.

And in truth, I couldn't care less who gets them.
Hao-sama

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
FUNAnimation should get the gundam stuff, really want a cheaper blu ray set of the gundam seed/destiny hd remaster, g gundam & code geass and my life will be complete
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Terribly hopeful that FUNi nabs Bebop and Escaflowne. PLEASE at least Escaflowne. Also hoping Bebop, whoever gets it, has the original version rather than the Remix.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I've made enough money over Planetes to buy my current car, don't touch it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

TopGunman wrote:

-Turn A Gundam (that series need to be rescue, if Funimation dub it can we get Annika Odegard from DW: Gundam 1 and 2 to reprise as Loren Coheck for the dub and if they can't, can Cherami Leigh or Alexis Tipton voice Loren).

They don't need Ocean Group to dub Turn A Gundam. They can use their own VAs. Turn A doesn't have multiple series with dubs, so there's no VA they'd need to bring back.

If you played DW: Gundam 1 and 2. Annika Odegard does a good job doing Loren which I don't know if Cherami Leigh or Alexis Tipton can pull off, also as Lynx said Scott Mcneil nailed Gym really well, and given Mcneil voiced a character in FMA, maybe Funimation could get Mcneil to voiced Gym again for the anime for real.

I own the 2nd one. But still, it's just a game, it's not canon with the shows or anything.

I know but Annika does a good job voicing Loren in the game, so I don't see any problem with her reprising her role for Loren for the anime. I also like the VAs that voiced the ZZ Gundam characters in DW: Gundam, would love it if Funimation could get them to reprise their role if Funi could get ZZ Gundam.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I'd kind of like to hear the Funimation talent pool to do some Gundam dubs. Haven't you ever wanted to hear Chuck Huber use the term "Minovsky Particles" or Monica Rial express "Purupurupurupuru!"?

They can't do any worse than Blue Water.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8