• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Free! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
I don't like the ending, didn't even finish it. I hate cheaters, i don't care who win and what happen anymore.

I will give this show 4/10.

If you actually bothered to watch the ending, you would have seen spoiler[that they got disqualified for having Rin swim on their team.]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:41 am Reply with quote
Interesting how everyone was in a good mood except for spoiler[Rin.]
spoiler[He was totally plagued by his past with Haru and others.
Rin finally managed to snap.]
.. not a surprise, was bound to happen.
That guy is such a moody character that can't seem to let go of the past.
spoiler[Rin - Haru bromance] reached it's peak in this episode.
In the end, spoiler[Rin just needed his old friends back to swim with him].
All in all, a nice anime. Would like to see another season of this.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I love this show and I'm going to miss watching it every week. So if they could go ahead and announce a second season already that would be nice.

This last episode was sweet. I have to admit spoiler[when Rin was having his freak-out I kept yelling at the screen for someone to punch him. Knock some sense into that boy! I guess tussling around with suggestive scenes along with a hug will work too. I can understand Rin's feelings and frustrations of having nowhere else to turn and just turning into a madman for a while.] In the end spoiler[he just needed a hug and the acknowledgement of his friends that they still love him and still want to swim with him despite him being an emotionally stunted jerk. It sounds like I don't like Rin but I love him. That smile before he jumped in the pool at the end could make your heart burst but still he brought a lot of it on himself]. Rei, though, really got the spotlight in these last few episodes. He is such an awkward angel from penguin butt speedo boy to the hero of friendship. I already loved him but now he's up there with Makoto (my absolute favorite). The animation in this episode was gorgeous and I loved the underwater scenes. They were so pretty to look at!
I went and started watching Prince of Tennis right after watching Free! to get some more sports anime fix. Though awesome in its sports animeness, it has just a few scenes too many to be considered a flash animation but it looks damn near close to one with music that makes you want to put on your sweat bands and leg warmers. My face was aching from smiling too much. If everything works out well (it's up to you Kyoani), I'll have Kuroko this fall and winter (I don't know if it's one cour or two right now), then I'll have that volleyball one in the spring and then Free! 2 in the summer. Perfect! Heck, there's even the Ace of Diamonds and the bicycle one too this fall.
As for shipping, I'm going withspoiler[ MakoHaru. Makoto's my favorite character so of course I'm rooting for him, but ReiRin is fun too but so is HaruRin or ReiHaru or AiRin or ReiNagisa or....damn this show has so many options.] I'm gonna miss it!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I shouted at my computer whenspoiler[ it looked like Rin would go to their school]

I still don't get what they were doing in that scene. I guess they were killing time before the joint practice, but I didn't get the point of them making him do that. I mean, I'm trying to imagine the scene leading up to where we came in, and I got nothing.

"Hey, Rin, why don't you get up and introduce yourself to us?"
"Why?"
"Because...um...so we can...um... Just do it."
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I shouted at my computer whenspoiler[ it looked like Rin would go to their school], that would be an awful ending.

I, on the other hand, wanted that to happen. Get Rin away from that annoying Nitori. I really dislike sempai/kouhai dynamics like that when the kouhai is a brown-nosing ass kisser who has an annoying, whiny voice. Nitori was easily my least favorite thing about the series.

If my immature, fanbrat fantasies came true, the kid would have been run over by a monster truck at some point during the series.

Y'know, fanservice. Because that would be one way to service me as a fan.

Keeping those inner, nasty thoughts locked inside though, I was fine with Rin staying as a friendly rival. He still got to hang out with the guys without ruining the dynamics that were built up during the series. And, I'll admit, the ending ended up being the best outcome - it made more sense to keep him in that role instead of shoving Rei aside.

I would prefer Nitori being completely out of the picture in any potential future seasons. I know it's not going to happen, but I still want it.

And speaking of Rei, he was absolutely awesome this episode. Two thumbs up, man. He started off too goofy for me to appreciate, but he ended up being one of my favorites. Rin and Rei, the two butterfliers (Should it really be all that surprising? Whoop, whoop, best stroke of the bunch!)

Fun series overall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Seconded on wanting Nitori to be run over by a truck. I couldn't stand his clinginess and whiny voice. Just go away and let spoiler[Rin and Haru enjoy their love damnit!]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Nitori is the type that Rin can easily dominate when he gets all frustrated, perfect fit. He might want Haru, but Haru is way to free, and Makoto knows how to have the patience with him.

You fangirls are so mean to him, he just wanted his pointy teeth sempai. Razz
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:03 am Reply with quote
Aww, don't be mean to Nitori! Didn't you see spoiler[how happy he was when senpai finally noticed him? Laughing] That said i don't really ship them together, RinHaru (or MakoRinHaru? Or RinRei?) all the way~! Wink
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:09 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Seconded on wanting Nitori to be run over by a truck. I couldn't stand his clinginess and whiny voice. Just go away and let spoiler[Rin and Haru enjoy their love damnit!]

Amen. His constant "SEMPAI, YOU'RE SO AMAZING, SEMPAI! YOU'RE THE GREATEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD, SEMPAI! CAN I LICK THE FUNGUS OFF INBETWEEN YOUR TOES, SEMPAI?! LOOK AT ME, SEMPAI! SEMPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIII!" gave me a headache and made me want to kick him in the nuts (if he even has a pair). Rin x Nitori is the only couple I wouldn't be able to stand. At all. I'd ship Rin with Gou before that.

Quote:
Nitori is the type that Rin can easily dominate when he gets all frustrated, perfect fit."

*Gag*

We're all entitled to our opinions, but opinions like the one above should be sequestered on an island filled with poisonous spiders and left to fend for itself without a knife, shelter, food, or fire.

No hard feelings. Wink

(Honestly, no hard feelings for you, DuskyPredator. This is just a good old fashioned shipping war. You're a cool guy. Your opinions are just misled sometimes.) Wink

Merida wrote:
RinHaru (or MakoRinHaru? Or RinRei?) all the way~!

I like the way you think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:16 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Quote:
Nitori is the type that Rin can easily dominate when he gets all frustrated, perfect fit."

*Gag*

We're all entitled to our opinions, but opinions like the one above should be sequestered on an island filled with poisonous spiders and left to fend for itself without a knife, shelter, food, or fire.

No hard feelings. Wink

(Honestly, no hard feelings for you, DuskyPredator. This is just a good old fashioned shipping war. You're a cool guy. Your opinions are just misled sometimes.) Wink

Oh no you didn't, I won't let you say that Makoto should lose his hubby. Wink

And I thought my description was pretty much the essence of yaoi.

Also, I don't like Rin, his kind (characters like Sasuke) annoy me, let him have whiny dude instead. Didn't Rin like cause a majority of the problems in the series, he even made Haru lose his free at one point. As a guy I don't appreciate the way he liked to intimidate others in the series, and I don't see the redeeming feature like some BS about him being passionate. I have dealt with intimidating not-so-nice-people before, the sporty ones who think they can treat you however they like. I once grabbed one from the throat for mercilessly picking on me, and actually he did swimming. They guy got an award and praise from everyone in the school, but I still did not like him because he was a cocky SOB who thought it was funny to pick on the awkward quiet kid. Mad

Wow, that playful shipping wars turned into a rant and got personal. Probably why I hated Rin because he really reminds me of someone I knew.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh no you didn't, I won't let you say that Makoto should lose his hubby.

But that's where you're getting it all wrong. Rin and Makoto are perfectly capable of sharing, they're buddies after all. Wink Nitori and his SENPAI I HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS BUT ILL FORCE MY IDEALS ON YOU SHIT WONT YOU CHEER UP?! have no place in the perfect picture of PefectwifexPassiveIdealistxAgressivedreamer
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I really loved the ending. spoiler[It was a lot better then that really odd prediction that I read online somewhere from some girl who said that episode 11's preview was implying that Rin was going to commit suicide Shocked I honestly have no idea why she even reached that particular conclusion.] (not really a spoiler since it didn't happen but I figured that I'd hide it anyway just to be safe)

I'm really going to miss this show. I honestly never thought I'd get this into an anime about swimming. And we'd better get another season because I want more dammit. I DEMAND MORE RIN.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I don't understand why people are bashing Nitori. Taking this off shipping but he did nothing wrong. Yes he admired Rin, but so what. It is not like he acted jealous of him or anything. He could see Rin was a good swimmer and cared about him. When he saw Rin was spiraling downward he was right to worry about him. Sorry it was Rin who was being a jerk, not Nitori.

And considering that Rin asked Nitori to continue practicing with him shows that he does value their friendship. His outburst was not because Nitori annoys him but because he was upset at the moment and was taken it out on the wrong person, which people often do (myself included).

Anyways I liked the interaction of many of the pairs Rin/Haru, Rin/Rei, Rei/Naigisa, Makoto/Haru, Rin/Nitori, etc so my solution let them have a big swimming orgy, which seems to have been the ending anyways with their joint practice sessions. Gou can join in on the fun too. Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
so my solution let them have a big swimming orgy, which seems to have been the ending anyways with their joint practice sessions.

Or at the oasis... >.>

I don't really hate on Nitori, but his plaintive voice drives me up the wall, which I suspect might be behind the Nitori bashing for others too. If they do a second season next summer and Nitori gets a growth spurt and a deeper voice, he probably won't be so annoying. Smile
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Not at all interested in shipping anyone, but I really did enjoy this show. my favorite part of this final episode was the race. beautifully animated and I was definitely hoping they would win during the whole thing. The overblown drama beforehand I could do without. I'll watch a second season. rating this Very Good
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 34