• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Free! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 3

Surprisingly, both Rin and Sousuke spoiler[prefer the bottom]. Wink

Plenty of laughs, I think some favourites were Haru spoiler[describing wind like he does water to an anticlimactic effect], and Rei's spoiler[swimming getting so bad until he is just sunk at the bottom].
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:05 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

I've been wondering something. Speaking as a straight male, the guys are all smoking hot, so why aren't they more popular? You'd think they could get at least a couple of girls to join for that, or have some show up just to watch them practise.

Speaking as someone who the show specifically caters to, I find squealing brainless fangirls to be one of the most annoying tropes in female-oriented anime. For example, the crowds of zombie fangirls in Bakumatsu Rock make me gag. It's very common for this to come up to emphasize a male character's popularity, but I'm glad this is completely absent from Free, I don't need the camera to waste time on annoying NPCs when it can focus on Rei being so [expletive] precious.

Seriously someone NEEDS to give Hirakawa some amazing seiyuu prize. He was terrific as Rei last season (especially on the episode where he confronted Rin the first time), but he blew it over the fence here. This episode was amazing, I already loved Rei, but my love for him skyrocketed crazy with this episode. He's just too adorable.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:15 am Reply with quote
I guess that's the difference in demographic for ya. As a guy I look at it and think "If guys that hot aren't popular with girls, what chance do the rest of us have?"
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:27 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I guess that's the difference in demographic for ya. As a guy I look at it and think "If guys that hot aren't popular with girls, what chance do the rest of us have?"

HA! Anime hyper

But worry not-- They're just not popular with 2D girls in the series. They're plenty popular in the real world with real girls. Wink

(Just fixed a typo.)

Last edited by crosswithyou on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
Right, so realistically they should have plenty of fans in universe too (heck, Gou has two). To think that not a single person is even the slightest bit interested in joining. Feels a bit forced for the sake of conflict.

Of course at this point it's hard to imagine getting used to a new character being included in that group of 5.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Right, so realistically they should have plenty of fans in universe too (heck, Gou has two). To think that not a single person is even the slightest bit interested in joining. Feels a bit forced for the sake of conflict.

Just like guys don't want to see more males than absolutely neccessary in their "cute girls doing cute things" shows, we don't want 2D girls fawning over our eyecandy, unless they are like Gou who's only interested in muscles not romance. The guys are there for our pleasure alone (and well, for each other, of course... Wink ). Is that so hard to understand? Who care about realism in a show like this...
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Of course at this point it's hard to imagine getting used to a new character being included in that group of 5.

Whoa, okay, so you're ACTUALLY bothered by all this?? And here I was thinking you were just joking........

Anyway, what Merida said.

Why does anime need to be realistic anyway? It's a made-up world whose sole purpose is to entertain viewers so there's no need to compare it to reality.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Speaking as someone who the show specifically caters to, I find squealing brainless fangirls to be one of the most annoying tropes in female-oriented anime.

I hadn't even realized it was missing before now, but yes, the lack of this is something that sets this apart in a refreshing way. Thank you for pointing it out.

Oddly enough, I think I've subconsciously taken the lack of fangirling in the hallways as an illustration that, despite their being drawn for us as exceptional beauties, they really are just ordinary guys, and their classmates (except for Gou) don't really see them as being special. The stage show really brought that home, with the shock turning to omg what are they doing, instead of swooning and screaming at the super hot guyz!!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Whoa, okay, so you're ACTUALLY bothered by all this?? And here I was thinking you were just joking........

Anyway, what Merida said.

Why does anime need to be realistic anyway? It's a made-up world whose sole purpose is to entertain viewers so there's no need to compare it to reality.

I'm not really bothered by it, but like I said it feels like a conflict they forced in there for the sake of having a conflict. Surely in the entire school there's a few students who want to become better swimmers, or have access to the pool all summer, or to get some exercise in general. In other animes the focal club is something strange and far out there, so it makes sense people would be wary of it. But this is just a typical swim club you can find anywhere. It's just a matter of having a slighly harder time buying that absolutely no one will join their club.

And when you have a slice of life anime set in the real world like Free, yeah, it should be realistic for the most part.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
Well they have said that it is still quite cold so there is not a lot to encourage them to join, even though they were able to enter they said it was cold enough that showers on the side were warm. Really they should actually have given reasons why they should join instead of lousy mascots and muscle shows. Maybe try again towards warmer climate to give some demonstrations?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I'm not really bothered by it, but like I said it feels like a conflict they forced in there for the sake of having a conflict.

I really don't see it as a conflict though. If it were a conflict then the series would revolve around it. While it's been featured in a couple episodes so far, I saw it more as for comedy rather than an actual part of the series plot.

I think you're thinking about it too much. ^^;
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I'm not really bothered by it, but like I said it feels like a conflict they forced in there for the sake of having a conflict. Surely in the entire school there's a few students who want to become better swimmers, or have access to the pool all summer, or to get some exercise in general. In other animes the focal club is something strange and far out there, so it makes sense people would be wary of it. But this is just a typical swim club you can find anywhere. It's just a matter of having a slighly harder time buying that absolutely no one will join their club.

My impression was that they had already given all the new first years the impression that "the swim club is a bunch of muscle-obsessed weirdos" at the club recruiting meeting. And of course anyone other than first years already had a club, or had already decided they didn't want to bother.

From the point of view of a fangirl like myself, the muscle show was hilarious and cute, but I think if I saw a club present itself like that in real life, I'd probably be weirded out and come to the conclusion..."Maybe I'll just do laps at my local pool."
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
^
The students' reactions gave me that impression as well.

The swim club doesn't exactly have winning personalities, either. Haru likely speaks to none of his classmates and sits off by himself; if a girl approached him romantically, he'd probably shut the conversation down quickly. Nagisa is childish and hyper, Rei could easily come off as pretentious and he himself has no interest in love. Makoto is the nicest of them all, but he seems to meld into the background. Doesn't help that he only hangs out with the aforementioned guys. Being attractive can only get you so far, especially if these girls want a romantic relationship. Not like there aren't a plethora of other clubs with hot guys. Even Gou's friend Hanamura isn't part of the swim team; I was surprised to see her cheering on the boys at the track race.

And we can't exactly forget that Iwatobi has a crappy swim club. It only began the year before, and they were responsible for the inter-team medley stunt that got their team disqualified. They don't even have female swimmers! People seriously interested in swimming competitively would have chosen different schools. Though this stuff doesn't exactly matter in the grand scheme of the series; it's probably just a background conflict that will be resolved in the last episode or two, with new students arriving to fill in gaps left by Mako and Haru. Maybe they'll be the older incarnations of new characters introduced in the second novel or something.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
Momotarou is soooooooooooo cuuuuuuuuuute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The casting is perfect for him. I love when SuzuKen voices these types of characters. X33333

Rin and Sousuke........ Rin and Sousuke........
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 4:
Decent episode with the pacing picking up in the second half. I kinda like this Sosuke guy tbh for his focus on swimming. And although he seems a bit cold to others besides Rin, I do like how motivated he is in the sport.

On another note, it looks like spoiler[Gou's admirer is telling more about his life LOL. The bento part also made me chuckle a bit. Poor Haruka Crying or Very sad]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 34