• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Build Fighters TV Anime to Premiere in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:30 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
What did everyone have against AGE?

Because people have this weird idea AGE was trying to make Gundam 'for kids' despite the fact Gundam has always been for kids. Or how it had kids as the main characters despite the fact Amuro and other previous Gundam protagonists were also the same age
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

What did everyone have against AGE? Was it because the characters didn't look like the least heterosexual thing you've seen like every other Gundam show this last decade?
Well I mean the character designs were pretty terrible. At least 00 had good ones, who cares if they were pretty.

But that would'nt matter if the show was good, but it wasn't.

It was poorly paced. The show has intersting ideas and plot points, but they are poorly excuted because the show's pacing on account of the way it's structured is terrible.

You could do an entire episode based an a character not being as good as a his great father, it could be a good character point. But this show brings it up for a few moments in an episode and then cuts away because there's not enough time to devote this.

You'd think if you want the audience to care about characters friendship maybe their friendship should be more then a montage? Yep, I don't think the scene where they betray each other should be longer then the whole friendship.

Maybe we would care about the side characters if they were'nt just one note and had something to do or just weren't forgotten.

And maybe characters shouldn't be terrible?

Did you like it when Kira did his whole "don't kill people". Well we have an entire character that basically only has that and he comes to this by meeting the most forced "care for her because she is a CUTE AND SICK girl" character ever.

Do you like villains that make sense? Don't watch this show, because the leader of the bad guys has a plan that is possibly the most idiotic plan since Endless Waltz.

Do you like female characters that are more then baby makers or death motivators? Well... don't watch this show.

It's just a bad show.

TitanXL wrote:

Because people have this weird idea AGE was trying to make Gundam 'for kids' despite the fact Gundam has always been for kids. Or how it had kids as the main characters despite the fact Amuro and other previous Gundam protagonists were also the same age
Oh that's not it at all...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
Come to think of it, Bokurano is for kids or all-ages. It's got kids piloting giant robots defending the universe from aliens in flashy ways. Shame they never made any toys for it.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:56 am Reply with quote
It took 3 posts for the bitching of other Gundam series to commence. A new record, it usually takes 2. *Half sarcasm* Well, I guess I may as well be next considering that

Animeking1108 wrote:

What did everyone have against AGE? Was it because the characters didn't look like the least heterosexual thing you've seen like every other Gundam show this last decade?

That's probably it, mate. I for one found it hard to tolerate 00's designs because all the (main) men look like women. Especially Tieria, as soon as 'he' spoke, I thought WTF?!! It's weird how no one questioned it.

Not to mention the scenes where the men communicate telepathically and at the end where Tieria's 'ghost' (just simplifying it for newbies) floats around in nude....um...why?! That is disturbing.

Gundam Wing and SEED may have had pretty boys designs but at least you could tell they were boys nonetheless. 00 just made them genderly ambiguous almost anyone could be anything. Hell, Tieria and his twin sister look EXACTLY THE SAME, Tieria isn't the least bit more muscular. 00's Story was slow at times and it didn't have epically cool speeches like Wing (Treize's resignation speech being the best one imo). AGE was fast and fun.

Without getting into so much detail:
Gundam AGE > Gundam 00

Last edited by TopGunman on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:03 am Reply with quote
Man if you hated Gundam 00 because the character designs were prettier than average (and they really weren't) and you were disgusted by some Ken-doll level nudity, well, you might have some issues.

Also...

Quote:
Hell Tieria and his twin sister look EXACTLY THE SAME.

Aaaaahhhhhhahahahahahahahaha
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
Tieria looks like a girl? That is the point And actually he looks pretty fit.. The rest of the pilots all look like dudes, unless the slightest bit of long hair is so unmanly that you can't handle it. Because I'm not sure at all what was ambiguous about characters that were actually human. Unless, you are terrible at telling a dude from a girl.

And really, the nudity in Gundam 00 botherd you.....................have you like not watched any other Gundam? I mean they all basically have the same level and type of nudity.

And yes Gundam Wing with it's dumb and overdone speeches about the same thing over and over again. The show who's points it basically proves itself to be wrong and in the end has to make a huge cop out to reach a conclusion.

I love Gundam Wing, but it is stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:12 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Man if you hated Gundam 00 because the character designs were prettier than average (and they really weren't)

Yes, they were. Don't deny it.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
and you were disgusted by some Ken-doll level nudity, well, you might have some issues.

Also...

Aaaaahhhhhhahahahahahahahaha

Look who's talking.

Last edited by TopGunman on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:13 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Man if you hated Gundam 00 because the character designs were prettier than average (and they really weren't)

Yes, they were. Don't deny it.

Even if they are, so what?

Quote:
Look who's talking.

Uhhh...what? I don't get your point.

And seriously being upset about seeing a naked dude (and barely even) is pretty damning.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote
AGE is the only recent Gundam series that I actually dropped. The highlight for me, since the Gundam revival following SEED was easily 00. If people thought the gender designs were ambiguous than you need to go back and study anatomy - the male characters were all very clearly male to me. The only disappointment for me with that series was how intelligent the two TV series' were...then we had the movie.

The only thing I can hope is that, Sunrise and Bandai have something planned with this one and can launch GunPla internationally. I wouldn't mind some of that =3. I doubt it though.

Last edited by Ryu Shoji on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote
Complains about people disliking Age only because of it's character designs(while ignoring anytime anyone brings up its actual issues beyond the bad designs).

Then complains about 00's character designs with talk of basically being pretty=bad.

Genius.

00's character designs were fantastic. Oh noes, characters look attractive. Like almost every thing.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:22 am Reply with quote
And don't forget the barely repressed homophobia.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:29 am Reply with quote
It's a show aimed at boys, but they desperately try to get females to watch by making the male leads androgynous pretty boys. GW wouldn't have the insane yaoi fanbase it had if the pilots didn't look like the Backstreet Boys. Ever since GW, Bandai decided to turn every male Gundam lead into effeminate Nancy Boys that made Ciel Phantomhive look like Kenshiro.

I'm not being hypocritical. I'm pointing out the idiots that dismissed AGE automatically because of the character designs. I get annoyed when fangirls only watch a series for the good-looking men.
andyseed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:30 am Reply with quote
Guess this will be another Gundam i skip .
Could not watch more than a few eps of AGE .
Would think after how bad that fail at everything they would try something more like 00 or Seed .
Well at least they got Gundam UC to keep me happy .
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:32 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Even if they are, so what?

To put it simply, it's weird. There's no science to it.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
And seriously being upset about seeing a naked dude (and barely even) is pretty damning.

'Upset'? No, I can tolerate it, I just question that level of 'manservice' in a shonen anime. I have no problem with the story except the slow-paced-ness in some parts. The only thing I am truly upset is the movie for obvious reasons.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:35 am Reply with quote
Sunrise has stopped trying altogether.

Or at least they probably should.

I think I'm about done with the Gundam franchise after Unicorn wraps up.

Last edited by penguintruth on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7