• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Servant x Service (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Servant x Service

Plot Summary:Anime about the staff of the health and welfare section of the ward office of a certain city. Newcomers Hasebe Yutaka, Yamagami, Miyoshi Saya, and their supervisor Ichimiya Taishi go through the everyday quirks of working at their office.

13 Episodes
Genres: Comedy, Slice of Life

EP 1

That was a fun first episode. This was made by the same creators of Working! So this should have the same humor, although it looks like there won't be any loli characters Sad.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty rare that an anime has an adult cast of characters and is set in a comedy setting.

I was really looking forward to seeing this series and the first episode definitely delivered.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Ya, I got the Working! vibes too. Also, dat OP SONG.

I'll keep watching this for fun because it sure was amusing for the very first episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
It's pretty rare that an anime has an adult cast of characters and is set in a comedy setting.

Not really, Joshiraku did, since 4/5ths of them were adults. Gintama is mostly adults aside from Kagura and Shinpachi.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:

Not really, Joshiraku did, since 4/5ths of them were adults. Gintama is mostly adults aside from Kagura and Shinpachi.

That is weird, I thought Joshiraku was about a group of middle school friends hanging out. How old are they?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
That is weird, I thought Joshiraku was about a group of middle school friends hanging out. How old are they?

Kigu is 16 or so, the rest are in their 20s. Rakugo is their profession, not a school club, and they're often seen drinking alcohol. Guess that's the magic of anime art, unless you draw "old lady age lines" to reinforce that they're not teenagers, like Only Yesterday, you can pretty much swing their age from 15 to 30 as you see fit.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Loo-she (abbr.) Yummygami - she of the short hair blunt cut, glasses and great knockers ... I'm in love.

Yes, very nice to have an all-adult cast in a work environment. Seems like this will be a'ight.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Comedy didn't work for me much at all. I'll give it 2 more episodes since maybe they couldn't handle good humor along with introducing all of the main cast.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Servant and service only brings one thing to mind.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
spoiler["I Love Lucy [abbreviated]"]

First episode impressions: Kind of cute, kind of boring, Hasebe is the character with the most comedic potential.

Most of what I know about Japanese social services is from manga and anime, but I understood enough to get most of the jokes (spoiler[names being approved by government offices, signature stamps]) and some were just universal to any kind of customer service type job, spoiler[like being yelled at and criticized by strangers and hearing people's personal life problems unbidden.] It actually made me a bit nostalgic for my jobs in customer service.

One thought that stood out: if this were an American show about a Social Services offices, it would be a *very* different show. A drama or a very dark comedy, possibly. Unless it took place in the offices of Parks & Recreation...
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
For the quiz question at the end, I went to the website to find which kind of certificate - marriage, divorce, or birth - was the "most prevalent". And the answer is spoiler[a silly homonym joke of the word "重い", or "omoi". The translators for the sub I watched translated it as "most prevalent", which can be one meaning, but they went with the "omoi" in the literal sense of "heavy". Since the divorce certificate literally weighs more by a hundredth of a gram or so than the other two certificates, it's the winner.] Ba-da-chaaaa.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

A-1 Pictures doing an anime about people working, of course this will bring to mind Working!!, although Hasabe's insistence on calling her Lucy reminded me of another character from an A-1 Anime. I laughed quite often in this one, I was finding it very humorous, and very refreshing to have a comedy with adults doing adult things.

This a comedy that I will have to follow.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:59 am Reply with quote
I actually totally forgot about Servant x Service at first, despite the fact that I marathon'ed all of Working!! solely because people in the news forum anticipated that it'll be great since its spiritual predecessor was great too.

Anyway, this show has a pretty modest start overall, which I don't mind. It has less style than Working!!, but still some funny quirks in the story (Lucy's full name, etc.).
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote
Wow, it was actually kinda interesting watching spoiler[Yamagami freak out about every little thing.]
spoiler[Hasebe] is a total slacker and player while spoiler[Miyoshi] is totally clueless and lost.
spoiler[Yama] was the only one of them giving it her best.
Wow, she certainly went far to get spoiler[her revenge].
This anime is kinda interesting, but I'm indecisive about watching it or not.
I might give this one a chance if nothing better comes along..
casualfan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
Considering the premise, the show does an excellent job in making it interesting. The characters are likable and the jokes are funny. Hopefully it doesn't get too repetitive with the future episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7