• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Blazers/Yamato 2199 #1's English Dub Shown at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
I am just barely old enough to have seen this show as a kid. Keeping the whole Argo/Yamoto thing is so minor that it just smacks of out and out whining to me. If it really is just that one thing, then let it go.

It's not the name of the ship. You can't just translate one word to another word not even in the same realm. The name of the damn ship that's the most important thing in the story is a pretty big deal.

Quote:
There are much more important things to concern yourself with in this world.

What a spurious notion. As if we shouldn't talk about anime on a message board dedicated to anime because there are more important things in the world to worry about.

Of course there are, but we're not talking about them here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Why can't Funimation just get this like with the Resurrection movie? Is there some unwritten clause that Voyager has to market it like this?

At least this is a pilot dub presumably so hopefully it doesn't get edited much.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
If renaming the Yamato Project the Argo Project is as far as they go in using the old dub name of the ship, that's a good nod to the Star Blazers series without ruining a dub by mixing nomenclatures (and thereby contradicting the multitude of visual references to the Yamato name in the animation). The ship itself isn't mentioned by name in the first episode, so hopefully the subtitles of the OP video shown and posted at starblazers.com will remain something for initial promotional purposes. The fact that they kept the Japanese names for every other character and ship mentioned is promising.

If it's in the subtitles also, it's a slap to the face of the original work.

That was just in the promo video which included the OP. The first episode has no OP. My guess is that it was some hastily assembled promo material. At least that's what I'm hoping is the case.

Arsenette wrote:

Did they NOT get the message from Robotech? We want to see the original folks.. not Star blazers 2.0.

It really irks me when someone throws the "Robotech argument" out without any context and any justfication. If you're going to play that card, kindly give it some context and justify what you're saying. What message from Robotech are you talking about? If it's how they bastardised the Macoss TV series then you've got no leg to stand on. (1) Macross on its own wouldn't have sold in the 1980s because you needed a minimum episode count of 65 to get syndicated, and that was the only way to make money in those days. (2) Aside from Americanising charater names and making small plot tweaks to tie it in to the Robotech storyline, Macross hasn't been changed that much. (3) There are still a lot of Robotech fans out there who think the series is just fine, thanks. Most of them are mature enough to have watched Macross as well and enjoy each in their own right.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
I am just barely old enough to have seen this show as a kid. The whole Argo/Yamoto thing is so minor that it just smacks of out and out whining to me. If it really is just that one thing, then let it go. There are much more important things to concern yourself with in this world.

It's not minor at all, it's major. The animation has the name Yamato all over the place, in Engish. To have it called the Argo in the dub would be confusing and put a lot of people off watching it.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
It really irks me when someone throws the "Robotech argument" out without any context and any justfication. If you're going to play that card, kindly give it some context and justify what you're saying. What message from Robotech are you talking about? If it's how they bastardised the Macoss TV series then you've got no leg to stand on. (1) Macross on its own wouldn't have sold in the 1980s because you needed a minimum episode count of 65 to get syndicated, and that was the only way to make money in those days. (2) Aside from Americanising charater names and making small plot tweaks to tie it in to the Robotech storyline, Macross hasn't been changed that much. (3) There are still a lot of Robotech fans out there who think the series is just fine, thanks. Most of them are mature enough to have watched Macross as well and enjoy each in their own right.

I'm not sure if you were alive at the point of Robotech but I was for Starblazers which preceded Robotech by a number of years. The point of the argument was the fan backlash of people wanting to see the ORIGINAL unaltered version of the show they were watching. It's been 30 years since that happened but whoever made this video and is marketing it to MY Generation is doing a disservice by doing this.. a mishmash of the nostalgia + the direct translation of what was on the screen is not a way to please the crowd that have been waiting these 30 years for a decent Bluray of the original content. And yes I bring up Robotech because it wasn't the same story. Period.

Last edited by Arsenette on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Do we even KNOW if the dub uses Argo? All I'm hearing is the trailer subs use it and frankly if it's just a rush job right now no one should start immediately getting salty over it and screaming "Ruined forever!!!"
VinceA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
CCharmanderK wrote:
If these changes persist, consider my interest in the official English release to be nil.

I'll stick to the fansubs.

No need for fansubs, since the Japanese BDs include English subtitles. You can get those for the total original experience. The BDs are quite lovely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
And by the way, I have a respect for Starblazers and what it did for Yamato at the time it did it (much more respect than I have for Robotech and Carl Macek), but it's not the 1980s, it's 2013, and to continue doing that in an age when most releases are accurate translations in both subs and dubs, is ludicrous. This is the sort of thing you wouldn't have even gotten away with in the 90s. Unless you were Funimation and it was DBZ, and they only got away with it because morons grew up deluding themselves into thinking that was how it should be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Who was the voice cast/studio? It's probably Bang Zoom if Haruka was any indication.

As for the whole Star Blazers/Yamato thing, I suppose since the show is more well known on this side of the pacific as Star Blazers, it makes sense to keep that going. No big deal for me either way though.

Hopefully whoever picks the show up keeps it going with this voice cast. I get so tired of the Texas voice actors, it's not even funny. I wish more companies were like Production I.G. and Sunrise and produced the English dubs themselves.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
You guys who are complaining about the changes DO know that Voyager is a Japanese company and is calling the shots, right? If you're really that disappointed then go yell at them. I'm kind of annoyed about the Yamato change too and I'm assuming they will hear us out and change it for whenever it comes out proper but that doesn't mean you should act like it's an important life matter.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Why can't Funimation just get this like with the Resurrection movie? Is there some unwritten clause that Voyager has to market it like this?

At least this is a pilot dub presumably so hopefully it doesn't get edited much.

From what I understand Voyager is a Japanese company and was owned by Nishisaki's friend, so yeah they'd get first dibbs
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
They are going to solicit it with the original Japanese dub, right? Not having that is the ultimate deal breaker, and you can't exactly change names in subs when the audio says something entirely different. Otherwise, your brain would interpret it like some terrible Chinese bootleg.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
You guys who are complaining about the changes DO know that Voyager is a Japanese company and is calling the shots, right? If you're really that disappointed then go yell at them. I'm kind of annoyed about the Yamato change too and I'm assuming they will hear us out and change it for whenever it comes out proper but that doesn't mean you should act like it's an important life matter.

I'm sorry but this happens to be a discussion thread on the video. Are you suggesting we not discuss it? Or is it you like yelling at people for actually having an opinion?
Kenshiroh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
Still, Captain Avatar and Derek Wildstar should still be their names Razz

Do they still have the cat in this version? They could add Jackson Galaxy in there too! Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6