• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gatchaman Crowds (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
I actually liked the recap, I did not realize that spoiler[Utsutsu hated Hajime], and hearing their opinions actually felt somewhat worthwhile. Maybe I didn't find that the show had been too clear about it otherwise.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:54 am Reply with quote
I didn't mind the recap, as DuskyPredator said, it clarified certain things. My only problem with the recap is that when I was watching It, I thought that Hajime had died and that's why they were talking about her in that way. Anyway, I hope that it means they saved money and time for better animation in the next episode.

I liked the ending and I am very curious how gatchamans and Rui will deal with the situation, now that their plan to make everyone safe with the help of Galaxy backfired. The last episode can't come soon enough.

Last edited by Aylinn on Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:07 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
I didn't mind the recap, as DuskyPredator said, it had certain things clarified, though when I was watching It, I thought that Hajime had died and that's why they were talking about her in that way.

That's what I'd said on CR. Those monologues felt like a eulogy. ^^;
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
As far as recaps go, that's the best way to do it: something new being voiced over the old scenes and furthering the story halfway through the recap. Learning that OD is 300 was interesting.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12/Finale
Wait a minute....spoiler[did OD die in this finale? I assume he might have after that scene with Rui. I mean...he fell with heavy wounds...]

Weird finale. I thought it was underwhelming. Also, regarding that last scene: spoiler[I think Hajime and Katze became one of the same entity since she 'asked him out on a date' of sorts? Eh. This was weird.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
felt like they skipped something at the end there lol. Maybe an OVA?

good series overall though.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I both liked and didn't like the ending. I liked the whole "giving the power of CROWDS to the world," and having to deal with the consequences (not being able to just remove the power after it has been given).

On the other hand, there were some pretty big unresolved issues, in regards to the status of the main characters. I know the focus of the show went beyond the Gatchaman - since the message was "everyone is a hero" - but the show took the time to have us become endeared with the main characters. So to not update the status or reach any resolution for some key characters - Utsutsu, Jou, OD - leaves me in the lurch. There's no emotional catharsis.

spoiler[Did OD die or not?! How did Utsutsu handle it? Is she doing okay? Did OD die or not?! What about Jou? AND DID OD DIE OR NOT?!

The absence of OD's status is the most glaring problem. They couldn't even give us a 5 second clip of Utsutsu taking care of him in the apartment (if he's alive). And if he's dead, then there needs to be sufficient emotional resolution. Like a funeral scene. Or a eulogy. Or the characters sitting around and reminiscing about him. Something!]

I don't need explanations for every answer. spoiler[What happened with Hajime and Katze? Did they fuse together? What exactly were Rui's Gatcha powers? Just the CROWDS ability?] Those questions are secondary. I am fine with ambiguity. What I need is emotional resolution, and I didn't fully get that.

Off topic, but this is why I'm one of the few who actually liked the ending to Lost. No, the series didn't answer all of the questions, but it did reach an emotional catharsis with the characters.

There'd better be some sort of OVA episode that resolves these issues. Otherwise, this series is not complete.

I swear I was on the edge of my seat the entire last 5 minutes waiting for some news on spoiler[OD's status.] It drove me insane.

Regardless, I still enjoyed the series. This blip on the radar is a pretty big deal for me, but as long as there's an OVA episode that resolves the issue then I'll be peachy king. And if there is never one (or a second season), then I fear the experience may be soured. I will still buy the series, but I'll always be frustrated.

I'm gonna have to give this series an 8/10 for now instead of the 9/10 that I wanted to give it. This could bump up again with an OVA episode that resolves my issues.

Last edited by Crisha on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, looks like willag went and mental telepathized my thoughts and then wrote them here so I don't have to. And don't you mean you'd be Peachy Queen?

Wink

Anyhoo, I rated the series overall as Decent. I can imagine buying it years from now if I come across a cheep, cheep price.
aleatory

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Well the series is over and I am sad. Overall I would rate this is good or maybe great.

Being a bit of a cynical soul something as upbeat and positive as this would usually grate on my nerves a little, but for some reason it really worked for me.

I found myself looking forward to this every week more than any of the other shows, it was positive, colourful, interesting and just different! The characters were entertaining, the plot not another recycled cliche and it was fun!

Maybe some unanswered questions at the end but I don't think that is terrible, closure is over rated IMO Smile
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
So to not update the status or reach any resolution for some key characters - Utsutsu, Jou, OD - leaves me in the lurch.

I wrote a simpler version of that in my comment for the episode on CR.

Quote:
spoiler[Did OD die or not?! How did Utsutsu handle it? Is she doing okay? Did OD die or not?! What about Jou? AND DID OD DIE OR NOT?!]

Definitely wondering about that.

As the main storyline was wrapping up with a few minutes left, with so many questions still unanswered, I figured that this was a 13-episode series, and that we'd get an epilogue next week. I was rather surprised to see that this was the final broadcast episode. I really hope that we find out more in an OVA, but I'm not optimistic. Have all of the BDs been announced already? /me goes to CD Japan and AmazonJP. Ah, that's right, it's getting released as a complete BD or DVD box, and I don't see any run-time/episode count information on either website. <sigh>
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

I did kind of like this last episode, although as said above there are a lot of unresolved that we the audience would want to know about. My guess is that these things were partially left unrevealed so that the audience will want to buy something to get the answers.

If you had been paying attention to the OP like me, you would have noticed it has changed for every time they revealed a new Gatchaman form. So watching this week's I knew spoiler[what OD's looked like, although we did not get much as it felt over quickly]. The OP music was good.

For rating the series, I will rate this Decent. To be honest a number of things did not gel well with me, I tend to have a dislike of some series that use designs similar to here. I liked Hajime and Rui, although many of the others left me feeling a little unfulfilled. Katze definitely had a good creepy feel, although it might leave you feeling that Japan were being a bit harsh on the transsexual characters and the like, but with Rui and OD also in the series you it might not be the case.

I liked the message towards the end and how it turned around, it made me happy for watching it to the end. Could have used some better fights, I am not sure how well the CG worked for them.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:17 am Reply with quote
I liked it a lot. Yes, lots of unanswered questions at the end, I don't feel that I know any more than you guys do, but I'm kind of ok with that. This was a very odd show that took a lot of genre conventions and was like "who cares about any of that, what about this stuff going on over there?" That's sort of how the ending was, a lot of the questions they left us would be pretty huge deals in a bog standard Hero Show, but part of their message was that this stuff wasn't really important, it was more about people than it was about a person. I'd love to see more if they offer it, but I think I'm fine with what I got.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:22 am Reply with quote
Well, it seems willag already summed up my thoughts, so I'll be brief xD

I'm going to rate the series very good. It was pretty to look at, a ton of fun to watch--the episodes flew by every week!, had a good positive message that put a smile on my face, and some great memorable characters. I loved Hajime as a heroine (although I almost feel bad for spoiler[Katze], being literally stuck with her for every second of every day, presumably forever xD). I thought the ending with spoiler[Rui giving the CROWDS power to everyone] was great. It was well-executed and wrapped up any thematic loose ends the series had, not to mention it was just a joy to watch everyone working together.

However, spoiler[O.D.'s apparent death] was a big problem for me. It felt very rushed and there was no build-up or catharsis to it. He was my favorite character so I'm pretty disappointed. Sad If this series got a short OVA episode to clear up some of the stuff around him and Utsutsu it would be perfect, but since that doesn't exist at the moment, I'm left a bit confused about how to feel. However, I find that even though this was a big problem with the ending, my feelings about the show are still positive enough to warrant such a high rating.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:37 am Reply with quote
I just picked this up and I'm up to episode 3. It's pretty fun and I like Hajime a lot, she's really energetic in a quirky sort of way that makes her really likeable. And the GALAX concept is pretty interesting, I'm very interested in seeing where it goes.

But the reason I'm posting is to ask if I was the only one rolling my eyes over the 10-minute sequence of the "MILK CRISIS!!". Just what. It's no wonder anime characters get the flu all the damn time, their white cells must be really weak if a batch of barely defective milk poses a severe sanitary crisis. Thumb down to the teachers that allowed all those schizophrenic students to do whatever they pleased based on an internet rumor
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:01 am Reply with quote
I have watched the last episode and I think it was a nice troll. There was no final epic battle between Katze and gartchamans, but instead it is just shown that spoiler[Katze somehow ended up imprisoned in Haijime's breasts Laughing ] It doesn't bother me, because I had an additional fun with coming up with a theory how it happened.

Like others I would like to know more about OD's fate, but I agree with Ohoni and my overall impression is very good, not to mention that the series as a whole has successfully freshen up an old franchise*.

*I don't mind that it is nothing like the old series, because even when I was a child, I didn't think it is anything special nor did it leave a good impression on me.

aleatory wrote:
Being a bit of a cynical soul something as upbeat and positive as this would usually grate on my nerves a little, but for some reason it really worked for me.

I found myself looking forward to this every week more than any of the other shows, it was positive, colourful, interesting and just different! The characters were entertaining, the plot not another recycled cliche and it was fun!

I couldn't agree more.

For these reasons I rate it excellent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12