• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2011 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly not that bothered by the Computer-generated animations in Tiger and Bunny. It's not like anime as a medium is known for having Pixar-like CG, so I've got no complaints about it. Besides as far as the frame rate of the animation itself, the CG seemed to blend well-enough with the 2D animation.

That being said, I don't think I've ever seen Zac give a show a 5 out of 5 right off the bat before. What's more shocking is that I wholesale agree with him. It feels so fresh and it seems that shows that I really like whether the show ends up as entertaining as I hoped or not, they seem to mostly happen once every other anime season. The few shows I really like end up not being a self-conscious reference to otaku cutlure, not a parody of anything, not a spoof, not a deconstruction of a genre, or a moe/slice-of-life/school show where not much happens and you're just in it for the character personalities. The shows that get hooked on are just a fun, entertaining show that tells a story from a unique-enough perspective whether or not the plot in the story ends up perfect.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
That being said, I don't think I've ever seen Zac give a show a 5 out of 5 right off the bat before.

See my above post for 5 examples in recent memory. Just because he writes gloriously memorable pans of bad episodes doesn't mean he can't dole out praise when he truly likes something.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
pantsmca wrote:
"North American" simulcast? NOPE...in Canada and can't watch it. Well that sucks. Guess I'll have to wait for fansubs. :s I was looking forward to this show as well...

Since VIZ has it, there's a decent chance we'll be getting dvd's for it [and since it's a shorter show at 12 eps, we'll probably get it all]. Glad to hear it has good reviews, so I'll just wait for the DVD, or TV broadcast if it's good enough to get TV broadcasters interested again here [YTV's cut back on anime a lot, but really, there's been slim picking lately anyways- tho Pretty Cure was more interesting to get than more Naruto filler :)].

EDIT- http://www.tigerandbunny.net/product/index.html those dvd's look all set for an english release. And the heroes have real life corporations as sponsors on this section of the site [vs. the fictional ones in the show by the looks of it] http://www.tigerandbunny.net/link/index.html wonder if we'll be seeing bunches of toys since some toy companies are listed? Even Pepsi's in on it! [Pepsiman cameos?]

Also, that anime isn't just Doggies vs. Kitties, it's Cookies vs. Pastries
http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/Dessert/Eggs-Dairy/recipe.html?dishid=8365 Gallettes look tasty. Dog Days probably not [unless it's so stupid it's good]

http://www.dogdays.tv/special/ Looking at the trailer, at least it has nice animation. The "cute and not skeevy" part makes me think of some of the Mag Garden manga TPop's put out over the years. It's an Aniplex title too, so I guess it's possible it'll get picked up.
http://www.dogdays.tv/special/pdf/guide.pdf There's a printable miniartbook on their website too. And wallpapers http://www.dogdays.tv/special/img/1280_1024.jpg
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to out on a limit and say I got a neutral reaction with T&B. I think the show would do well with Western Audiences and has mainstream appeal. While the concept of the show seems good, I just couldn't enjoy the first half that much. The idea of fighting crime on TV as a game show rubbed me the wrong way. I don't care for the idea of making crime fighting a game show, that just seems so wrong.

I didn't have a problem with the CGI, I though it was fine to me. Of course that could mean once it comes out on BD the CGI could be improved.

I hated that producer. I am not for using violence against women but I would so slap her. I will probably watch episode 2 then decide if I should drop it or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I'm going to out on a limit and say I got a neutral reaction with T&B. I think the show would do well with Western Audiences and has mainstream appeal. While the concept of the show seems good, I just couldn't enjoy the first half that much. The idea of fighting crime on TV as a game show rubbed me the wrong way. I don't care for the idea of making crime fighting a game show, that just seems so wrong.

I didn't have a problem with the CGI, I though it was fine to me. Of course that could mean once it comes out on BD the CGI could be improved.

I hated that producer. I am not for using violence against women but I would so slap her. I will probably watch episode 2 then decide if I should drop it or not.

I think your missing the point they where making. The whole thing is based off of Gladiators where you watched people nearly die just so you can package it as entertainment. This shows up in the opening where you constantly get closeup of the characters advertisers. It's a really excellent look at the way sports are played.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's a relative minimum of fanservice

I'm so desensitized to fanservice, I didn't even count the white-haired outfit as one.

I lol'ed when I saw that Zac reviewed Dog Days, but I didn't expect a 2. More like a "hilarious image or gif"/5, but I'm sure that's reserved for something that really deserves it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Tiger and Bunny is certainly interesting, although the comic geek in me can't help but consider the type of reaction something like this would get from Superman or the Batman. Odds are, it wouldn't be pretty. It conjures up images of the episode of Justice League where the Flash had sponsors and it didn't work out so well.
Lunarose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
From the review of Dog Days, it seems like it has a fluffy, meaningless kind of sweetness to it, like cotton candy. It probably has the same depth and substance as cotton candy as well, but I'm kind of interested in it because it sounds silly. War that isn't actually war and not-really death? Aww.

Tiger and Bunny sounds intriguing. I hope to see it someday.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I alt-F4'd Dog Days when the holographically projected announcers showed up. I watched Zero no Tsukaima once -- which in itself wasn't original or anything spectacular -- don't feel like watching an even more generic version.

At this point I'm pretty positive that Seven Arcs can't make a lot of anything that's not on the painful side of mediocrity.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
pantsmca wrote:
"North American" simulcast? NOPE...in Canada and can't watch it. Well that sucks. Guess I'll have to wait for fansubs. :s I was looking forward to this show as well...

Not even ANN's site allows Canadian access. And by the time any DVDs reach Canada I'll have likely forgotten about the series and be too busy with the streaming shows I can watch.

And at this point there's more chance of a Hulu Canada coming about than any decent anime appearing on Canadian TV.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:52 pm Reply with quote
T&B looks really good. I will add it to my watch list Smile
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
Okay, so, I decided screw waiting and watch Tiger & Bunny, and I have to say that was nearly a perfect "first episode" in terms of establishing the setting, the characters, and the main conflict. Why they felt they had to leave the reveal of who his partner was until right after the end credits (when the end credits essentially give it away) I don't know, though.

Also, if you are a fujoshi, I have a strong feeling this should be a must-watch series for you. The slash potential from the end credits alone is huge.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:35 am Reply with quote
My Dog Days first eppie review:

So, here we have it, an anime and moeified version of Cat and Dogs. In this series we have two opposing groups, the Biscotti (dogs?) and Galette (cats?). Our protagonist is Shinku Izumi, is summoned to a new world that consists of the two groups above. Apparently, he is a very skilled athlete, he can leap off his balcony, perform a 360 flip, and manage to land on his feet. In Fronyald, this magical world of catgirls/boys and doggirls/boys, war isn't war. It's actually... spoiler[competitive athletic events.] Nothing really impresses me. I believe this anime is aim towards kids, but if you want to watch it for the cat/dog-girls, go ahead.

Yea, I was planning to make a thread for it, but I don't think it's worth the time. Don't think many people will give it an actual chance either
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
Man, Nichijou has the elements that would make it a perfect candidate for Shinbo and SHAFT to animate. This makes this rather intriguing that KyoAni was chosen to do this consider this is their first foray in a rather surreal comedy series. Granted all the jokes will vary; I personally want more of the little doctor and robot girl (and hopefully that talking cat later in the series).
CannedJam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
Damn, they're not showing us Canadians too much love for anime eh? Does YTV even show anime anymore? :/ That said, I easily found and streamed the first episode and I have to say, T&B really took me by surprise! Deadman Wonderland was the only thing I was guaranteed to watch all season long, but I think I found me a keeper.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 47