• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: UK Anime Club Leader Jailed For Teen Sex Abuse

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Incetion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I think the court should add a couple more years to his crimes because he just murdered the English language. Honestly, it took me some time to decipher what he was trying to say.

He likely made these people have bad memories of anime and the victims will probably be afraid of anime or think that there are more people out there that are like him and don't want to get involved with anime related activities.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Incetion wrote:
I think the court should add a couple more years to his crimes because he just murdered the English language. Honestly, it took me some time to decipher what he was trying to say.

I was thinking the exact same thing.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote
There seems to be way to many of these cases appearing across the UK - at least something is being done rather than being brushed under the carpet. I do feel his sentence is not long enough and these girls will have to live with the events for the rest of their lives.
Incetion - I was going to make the same comment although I would suggest murder is a life sentence Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
Ummm disgusting and I also had a hard time trying to read his crappy English!
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote
Oh my, I would have thought someone from England would have better english than that.....
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
If he did indeed post that status update then his spelling is awful. Maybe they can teach him some basic English whilst he's in prison as well?

But the judge thought that he was a high-risk case and he only got 6 years? He could be out in 3 if he behaves in prison.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:25 am Reply with quote
Why was he jailed? What specifically was he charged with? The article talks about "victims" and "abuse", yet it also talks about "sexual activity", which implies statutory rape (i.e. consensual sex with someone under the legal age limit). Because if it was actual rape and/or molestation surely that would have been mentioned. Also the sentence does not reflect sexual abuse against four different people - it's far too light - which further raises questions as to what the hell this guy actually did.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:39 am Reply with quote
They were teenagers, he's still only in his 20s now and the tone of this piece suggests that it happened years ago. Its not like an 'anime club leader' is in a position of social authority either, not like a teacher or a priest.

I mean is that where a sex predator would go looking for hot teen girls? By founding a Dungeons and Dragons society for neckbeards? Yea rite... Laughing

BTW there's a guy in his late twenties on my active forum who girls complain to me about because he's 'overenthusiastic' (no names mentioned and no he's not the guy in the story), these girls are mostly over 18 though. I'm just using my own experiences with anime club members to point out there's a lot of lonely male nerds who are immature for their ages, and might not be able to judge social norms correctly (and not just the age of consent nonsense). Despite the sensationalist language in the report I think we can all work out what really went on here.

An awkward guy is not a sex predator and frankly any girl who would sleep with the sort of men I associate with anime clubs could probably find no other man to sleep with them... Wink

Last edited by faintsmile1992 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:41 am Reply with quote
I couldn't read his Facebook post, it didn't make any sense at all.

dtm42 wrote:
Why was he jailed? What specifically was he charged with? The article talks about "victims" and "abuse", yet it also talks about "sexual activity", which implies statutory rape (i.e. consensual sex with someone under the legal age limit). Because if it was actual rape and/or molestation surely that would have been mentioned. Also the sentence does not reflect sexual abuse against four different people - it's far too light - which further raises questions as to what the hell this guy actually did.

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing...
bhl88

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:56 am Reply with quote
Abuse of minor and the English language (can't understand what he said)
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:22 am Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:
Abuse of minor and the English language (can't understand what he said)
He's from Norfolk. Might be normal for Norfolk. Wink
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:44 am Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
They were teenagers, he's still only in his 20s now and the tone of this piece suggests that it happened years ago. Its not like an 'anime club leader' is in a position of social authority either, not like a teacher or a priest.

I mean is that where a sex predator would go looking for hot teen girls? By founding a Dungeons and Dragons society for neckbeards? Yea rite... Laughing

BTW there's a guy in his late twenties on my active forum who girls complain to me about because he's 'overenthusiastic' (no names mentioned and no he's not the guy in the story), these girls are mostly over 18 though. I'm just using my own experiences with anime club members to point out there's a lot of lonely male nerds who are immature for their ages, and might not be able to judge social norms correctly (and not just the age of consent nonsense). Despite the sensationalist language in the report I think we can all work out what really went on here.

An awkward guy is not a sex predator and frankly any girl who would sleep with the sort of men I associate with anime clubs could probably find no other man to sleep with them... Wink

I never expected to hear someone say something like this on ANN. I can understand saying some people who go to anime clubs are anti-social but the idea that all anime liking men who want to talk to other people like anime are weird, uncultured, anti-social, lonely, immature and whatever else you think of them is frankly offensive.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:44 am Reply with quote
Incetion wrote:

He likely made these people have bad memories of anime and the victims will probably be afraid of anime or think that there are more people out there that are like him and don't want to get involved with anime related activities.
Ditto give him 10 years and chop off his wee wee Wink
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:53 am Reply with quote
SwerveCity wrote:
I never expected to hear someone say something like this on ANN. I can understand saying some people who go to anime clubs are anti-social but the idea that all anime liking men who want to talk to other people like anime are weird, uncultured, anti-social, lonely, immature and whatever else you think of them is frankly offensive.
Cheer up and get a sense of humour. Wink

And what I said was true BTW. It wasn't made up for trolling.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:08 am Reply with quote
SwerveCity wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:

Honestly what gets me is the sex abuse apologist nature of some of these posts, personally I find that rather disturbing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9