• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Transformers: The Headmasters Region-1 DVD Set Listed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
I'm honestly shocked at the fact that this was licensed.

I'm honestly even MORE shocked at the complaints over this.

Seriously, you won't buy this without a "proper" dub? Do you KNOW how much it costs to hire Frank Welker and Peter Cullen to do tv shows and movies? It ain't cheap, because they are hot commodities in voice-over land, ESPECIALLY Frank. And no, Shout! will NOT shell out that kind of money for a 20+ year-old show. Forget it, it will never happen.

Get over your fanboy selves, buy the set and be happy we have it at all. No, it's not the best show that ever aired, nor was it ever the best show in the Transformers universe (I reserve that space for Beast Wars and Animated at the moment), but damn it, it leads to Masterforce and all the other Japanese tf shows we never got here, so I'm hoping enough people pick it up for Shout! to get the rest of them over here.

Next they'll want the Japanese versions of the American cartoon where Starscream was voiced by a female. Oy....

This x 100. Bravo sir, bravo!
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:

Emerje wrote:

There are few shows that don't have bad episodes, what's your point?

My point was that maybe they could rerelease the original series in such a way as to filter out the bad episodes the same way DBZ Kai was released with no fillers. Particularly the ones that's generally agreed among fans to be bad such as B.O.T and Child's Play.

I always thought the errors were part of the charm of the series. Sure it would be great if they would take the time to digitally remaster and clean up the video of hair and dust (thought both Rhino and Shout! did a pretty good job of that), but I'd hate to see any episodes removed no mater how disliked. It's not like DBZ where you had tons of filler episodes, all of the G1 episodes are the original animated story canon and should be left. Besides, I kinda like Child's Play.

Quote:

Emerje wrote:

Well yeah, but G1 fans always get backlash from fans of new stuff too, like you whining about how nothing is original anymore. It goes both ways.

They get the backlash for talking bad about the newer series in the first place without even giving them a try just because it's not G1.

Nah, I've seen plenty of people saying G1 fans are sucking any originality left in the franchise out by giving Hasbro and Takara reasons to keeping going back to the well. It seems to come up just about every time there's a new reissue, reboot, or toy line based on G1.

Quote:
When did I say 'nothing was original anymore'? I said TF Animated was not original and recycled too much older stuff. That's really not 'whining', that's an observation. And I didn't like it because of that, plus the art style which I thought was horrendous, that's the opinion part.

Maybe I misinterpreted what you said, but that's what I was getting from a lot of your complaints. The three series you seemed to hate the most (Animated, movies, and Prime) are also the ones with the heaviest G1 influences. Curious what you thought of War for Cybertron since it's all part of the Transformers Prime series.

Quote:
BUT it was the show's varying animation quality let alone the script errors that were overly present made thanks to those guys taking the series before they even finished animating it in Japan, let alone Cartoon Network being total morons to the dubbing crew. That's the factual info about the production of the dubs. I probably should have mentioned that but I thought 'why talk too much when that's something everyone already knows?' That pretty much the major flaw of the dub.

So that's what you meant. Yeah, there are script errors and things that could have been handled better, but I wouldn't say they were so bad they ruined the trilogy. You just laugh about them calling someone by the wrong name and move on.

Quote:
Do you know that that Japanese version was made so that Cybertron aka Galaxy Force was not a sequel, it was actually a reboot.

Actually this isn't true. We've originally said in a press release that it was a sequel to Superlink (likely why Hasbro thought it was ideal to promote it this way). Later when info came out about Galaxy Force it was learned that it would be written without any connection to the previous series. Later still Takara changed their mind and officially said no, that's wrong, it's part of the Micron Legend and Superlink trilogy, they even released booklets with the DVDs explaining as much. You can still call it a reboot if you want, but official canon says otherwise and fumbles through it worse than Cybertron did.

Quote:
And I think you ought look back and see that I said CEL ANIMATED scenes of Galaxy Force was the best, meaning the human characters and backgrounds. Far better than other series.

I saw where you said that and I said I preferred the way Armada was animated. I liked the way the bots were detailed in 2D and how they could be more dynamic with them where sticking to CG in Cybertron left the bots looking stiff (which is typical of most GONZO CG bots). The point was that it wasn't some overwhelming consensus at work here, it was still preference.

Quote:
Headmasters may or may not be big. But I won't be surprised if it isn't. Main reason, older fans complaining over the existence of a series that's not G1. Therefore, it won't get a dub. New series are not disliked because of whatever faults one may see in them, but just because they're simply not G1. That's the common G-whiner which makes up a large part if not most of the fan base. Although Headmasters is G1, the old fans did not grow up watching it and will automatically disregard it as a TF series.

And I disagree again. I think this is exactly the type of thing that the type of G1 fans you don't like will enjoy. It fits with the original series, it's entirely based on toys (most of which were released outside of Japan) and still feels nostalgic despite being new to most of us in the west. The lack of a dub might give them something to complain about, but I think they'd complain more about an attempt to imitate the original dub than being left with Japan's original cast. The biggest question about the subs is does Shout! stick with the original Japanese names or English names?

Quote:
but let's all be ready when they start complaining again like they do with every other series before they even give them chances.

Didn't you say TF Prime was bad because it "looks ridiculous". What's this about complaining about something without giving it a chance? Looks aren't everything, it's a fun show with a nice take on the characters and I actually like the looks of Prime.

Quote:
How is it that there is no such strong backlash from hardcore fans of the original Gundam series? I guess Japanese and anime fans don't live in the past and are more open to newer things.

Are you kidding? There's nothing more divided than the Gundam fandom. Those people take fanboyism to a whole new level. They're fighting has caused the downfall off several major Japanese and English Gundam fansites, most recently with Ngee Khiong back in October.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
I'm honestly shocked at the fact that this was licensed.

I'm honestly even MORE shocked at the complaints over this.

Seriously, you won't buy this without a "proper" dub? Do you KNOW how much it costs to hire Frank Welker and Peter Cullen to do tv shows and movies? It ain't cheap, because they are hot commodities in voice-over land, ESPECIALLY Frank. And no, Shout! will NOT shell out that kind of money for a 20+ year-old show. Forget it, it will never happen.

Get over your fanboy selves, buy the set and be happy we have it at all. No, it's not the best show that ever aired, nor was it ever the best show in the Transformers universe (I reserve that space for Beast Wars and Animated at the moment), but damn it, it leads to Masterforce and all the other Japanese tf shows we never got here, so I'm hoping enough people pick it up for Shout! to get the rest of them over here.

Next they'll want the Japanese versions of the American cartoon where Starscream was voiced by a female. Oy....

You're shocked this was licensed.

Really? Transformers is one of Shout's largest all time sellers. The first season set sold more than 100k in two weeks.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
The Nagabuchi wrote:

Seriously, you won't buy this without a "proper" dub?

Lol, FYI...I already bought it a long time ago, Region 2 UK release.

Emerje wrote:

I always thought the errors were part of the charm of the series. Sure it would be great if they would take the time to digitally remaster and clean up the video of hair and dust (thought both Rhino and Shout! did a pretty good job of that), but I'd hate to see any episodes removed no mater how disliked. It's not like DBZ where you had tons of filler episodes, all of the G1 episodes are the original animated story canon and should be left. Besides, I kinda like Child's Play.

Personally, I found them distracting, and even if it is an 80's cartoon, there was an over-excessive amount of errors popping up out of nowhere even for its time. You could watch Robotech or Saber Rider without noticing errors unless you watch it countless times and they weren't nearly as frequent.

Emerje wrote:

Nah, I've seen plenty of people saying G1 fans are sucking any originality left in the franchise out by giving Hasbro and Takara reasons to keeping going back to the well. It seems to come up just about every time there's a new reissue, reboot, or toy line based on G1.

Sad but true. Although I haven't seen many. However I hardly see any support for newer series. I even come across people who complained about past series, get this...just because they're anime.

Emerje wrote:

Maybe I misinterpreted what you said, but that's what I was getting from a lot of your complaints. The three series you seemed to hate the most (Animated, movies, and Prime) are also the ones with the heaviest G1 influences. Curious what you thought of War for Cybertron since it's all part of the Transformers Prime series.

I don't wanna sound like a hypocrite but keep in mind it's a game, not a cartoon. I thought the game was fun, good gameplay, excellent graphics, great transformation. It was G1 but a lot more darker and serious. Robot designs were excellent. And although the story was nothing unexpected, there were a lot more redeeming qualities. The only major problem I had was that it wasn't as free as the Armada game where you could roam around the entire terrain like in Halo whereas in WOC you had to go one path, they might as well have just put a blue trail on the ground to follow like in Gran Turismo.

Emerje wrote:

Actually this isn't true. We've originally said in a press release that it was a sequel to Superlink (likely why Hasbro thought it was ideal to promote it this way). Later when info came out about Galaxy Force it was learned that it would be written without any connection to the previous series. Later still Takara changed their mind and officially said no, that's wrong, it's part of the Micron Legend and Superlink trilogy, they even released booklets with the DVDs explaining as much. You can still call it a reboot if you want, but official canon says otherwise and fumbles through it worse than Cybertron did.

That was incorrect, while it was originally meant to be a sequel, and while it was announced as such, Newtype Magazine re-announced that it was a reboot after all while Hasbro kept it as a sequel.

Emerje wrote:

And I disagree again. I think this is exactly the type of thing that the type of G1 fans you don't like will enjoy. It fits with the original series, it's entirely based on toys (most of which were released outside of Japan) and still feels nostalgic despite being new to most of us in the west. The lack of a dub might give them something to complain about, but I think they'd complain more about an attempt to imitate the original dub than being left with Japan's original cast. The biggest question about the subs is does Shout! stick with the original Japanese names or English names?

I hope that's how they feel. And just so you know, The Headmasters does use the English names in the sub for the sake of familiarity. with the exception of Cerebros, his name was kept as Fortress because he was way too different from his American counterpart. I actually bought the series.

Emerje wrote:

Didn't you say TF Prime was bad because it "looks ridiculous". What's this about complaining about something without giving it a chance? Looks aren't everything, it's a fun show with a nice take on the characters and I actually like the looks of Prime.

I said 'So far' didn't I. But it's not looking good for me because the following

- Human characters are...generic. We have the teen boy who starts out miserable about some day-to-day issue. At least Kicker had a right to be mad. A computer geek who's short and wears glasses, we've seen that stereotype a zillion times before.

- Every transformer is a recycled older character from older series.

- Transformer designs are combined from Animated and Bayformers, both of which I very much disliked. They should've stuck with the War for Cybertron designs, they were so much cooler.

Emerje wrote:

Are you kidding? There's nothing more divided than the Gundam fandom. Those people take fanboyism to a whole new level. They're fighting has caused the downfall off several major Japanese and English Gundam fansites, most recently with Ngee Khiong back in October.

I don't see any of that, sure every series have varying opinions within the fan base but overall each series has a cult following and is well-liked as opposed to Transformers where each series simply comes and goes. And if you noticed, Gundam Wing is the one series that has the most fansites of all the Gundam series dedicated to it, and it's not even the original. At the end of it all, Gundam's fan base consists of fans who don't limit themselves to one series nearly as much as Transformers fans do so there's not nearly as much as the usual 'OMG YOU LIKE THIS ONE! YOU SUCK!!' within Gundam discussions.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Sad but true. Although I haven't seen many. However I hardly see any support for newer series. I even come across people who complained about past series, get this...just because they're anime.

Yeah, I've seen the anime complaint before, but they usually get laughed off in response by people who know enough about G1's origins.

But what do you mean that you hardly seen any support for newer series? The movies are making sales in the billions of dollars in ticket and at home while the merchandise turns a tidy profit. Like I said before, Botcon is being dedicated to Animated this year, they wouldn't do that without support.

Quote:

Emerje wrote:

That was incorrect, while it was originally meant to be a sequel, and while it was announced as such, Newtype Magazine re-announced that it was a reboot after all while Hasbro kept it as a sequel.

Right, We've said it was a sequel to Powerlink, Takara later said in Newtype that it wasn't, but then they did a 180 and said it really was. The released liner notes with the DVDs explaining it, they put a timeline on the website, and they even used the Kiss Players radio drama to help further explain things. Read about it here, Takara says it's a trilogy.

Quote:

Emerje wrote:

I hope that's how they feel. And just so you know, The Headmasters does use the English names in the sub for the sake of familiarity. with the exception of Cerebros, his name was kept as Fortress because he was way too different from his American counterpart. I actually bought the series.

I know the UK release did this, but I'm not sure what Shout! plans to do, it's possible they'll even do two different sub tracks. I'm a little fearful of what Hasbro might make them do with the Trainbots, but I'm thinking they'll just leave them be.

Quote:

Emerje wrote:

I don't see any of that, sure every series have varying opinions within the fan base but overall each series has a cult following and is well-liked as opposed to Transformers where each series simply comes and goes. And if you noticed, Gundam Wing is the one series that has the most fansites of all the Gundam series dedicated to it, and it's not even the original. At the end of it all, Gundam's fan base consists of fans who don't limit themselves to one series nearly as much as Transformers fans do so there's not nearly as much as the usual 'OMG YOU LIKE THIS ONE! YOU SUCK!!' within Gundam discussions.

Read that link I posted above, Ngee Khiong's final post is a long and personal look at everything wrong with Gundam fandom. I've heard others say this as well in regards to why certain popular sites are "allowed" to continue. Not only is there some animosity between fans of certain series, but there's an outright hatred between fans of different factions. It would be the equivalent of Transformers fans choosing Autobot or Decepticon and not allowing any room inbetween. It's true I don't hear this too often from Western fans, but Eastern fans seem to be getting fed up by this.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quote
Wow didn't expect this series to ever be released here.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't wanna go on a rant about what the film industry has become and how it operates as well as the mentality of modern audiences in contrast to older audiences, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that just because the Bayformers movies make lots of money means they are well-liked, let alone...good. Look at Avatar for example, over a billion at the box office and half the people who saw it thought it was so so or rubbish. It's been compared to Lawrence of Arabia.

I could go on and on and on over everything wrong with the movies ranging from inside tf fandom to outside stuff such as military errors.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Look at Avatar for example, over a billion at the box office and half the people who saw it thought it was so so or rubbish. It's been compared to Lawrence of Arabia.

Putting aside the debate about whether Avatar was good or bad and just looking at the percentages, I don't believe for a second that anywhere close to half the people who saw Avatar disliked it. It's just that the small minority of people who disliked it are really really [expletive] vocal and won't stop complaining about it long after those who liked it have stopped giving a shit.
jlaking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Going by what [URL="http://www.shoutfactorystore.com/prod.aspx?pfid=5257431#axzz1KDZHlZak"]Shout! Factory has on their site[/URL], Super-God Masterforce and Victory will be released on DVD as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3