• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hot Topic has Battle Royale Movies

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhanime

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I noticed today Hot Topic had Battle Royale Japanese Live-Action Movies 1 & 2 in a box set for $34.99 but it was locked in a case so I didn't take a look at it closely. If I understand right, there is no official US release. Does anyone know if what they have is legitimate copy? And how did they get it? Shocked
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote
It could be the recent Korean release that has both movies in one set.

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1004009085/code-j/section-videos/
strider175

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:05 am Reply with quote
lol, i heard it was banned in the US, so technically they aren't even suppose to sell it O_O;
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote
It's not banned in the U.S. at all. That has nothing to do with it. It's simply that no U.S. distributor wants to touch something like that and deal with the backlash.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:33 am Reply with quote
More specifically, they don't want to make a US-adapted version, which would be the only way the Japanese licensor would ever give the rights to the movies for, since they're like.. I dunno, crap.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
It's not banned in the U.S. at all. That has nothing to do with it. It's simply that no U.S. distributor wants to touch something like that and deal with the backlash.

Steventheeunuch wrote:
More specifically, they don't want to make a US-adapted version, which would be the only way the Japanese licensor would ever give the rights to the movies for, since they're like.. I dunno, crap.

Doesn't anyone google anymore?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale#Status_of_distribution_in_USA

Quote:
Despite rumors to the contrary, the film is not banned within the USA. Rather, there had never been a distribution agreement released due to the controversial nature of the film and supposedly unreasonable distribution terms specified by Toei, specifically the price of distribution being somewhere between 1-2 million dollars and that it must be a wide release on the order of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. These two stipulations put it outside of the range of most smaller movie distributors, and the larger distributors would not handle the film. Therefore, technically the film is not banned within the USA, but neither does a local distributor for it exist.

http://www.battleroyalefilm.net/movie/banned.html

Quote:
Here's what we know:
Toei's asking price for distribution ranges from just under $1 million to well over $2 million, depending on who they're selling it to (http://www.battleroyalefilm.net/sequel/oldnews2.html#603 ). Obviously North American distribution is the golden goose, so they'd charge top dollar--too costly for the smaller distributors like Media Blasters and Tokyo Shock who would be the ones most interested in the film.

Inquiries with Toei's International Sales department were met with downright rejection by Toei. There wasn't even any mention of the price. Here are excerpts:

"...With much regret we inform you that we are withholding distribution, in any formats, of the above mentioned picture for Northwest (sic) America due to the picture's contents and theme..." - Hideyuki Baba, Manager, International Sales and Purchasing, Toei

"our company decided not to release the picture in North Amercia (sic) despite many offers from American distributors including big studios." - Hideyuki Baba

In addition to pointing out the movie's extremely questionable content, an article in Premiere magazine reported that Toei had unreasonable expectations for the release of the film, wanting it to be a CTHD-size wide release and not confined to limited arthouse runs.

"If the next school shooting were to occur while Battle Royale was still playing, there's a good chance that somebody would get sued." - David Schultz, distribution supervisor, American Cinematheque

"We offered to take it out as an art house film...but Toei wasn't interested. They see it as this huge commercial hit and they want to open it on 300 screens in shopping malls. What they don't understand is that it in the US it will never get past the MPAA ratings board, and the major theater chains will never play it un-rated. If you cut it enough to get an R rating there'd be nothing left." - Anonymous representative of an independent American distribution company

A representative of another company who made a bid for the distribution of the movie has also mentioned that Toei's contracts contained had many requirements that were unreasonable compared to most distribution contracts; without going into specifics, the person from the distribution company said that it granted certain rights to the licensor (Toei) that would under most circumstances go to the licensee.

So make of that what you will. One could speculate that this sad stalemate is the result of back-and-forth disagreements and negotiations, leading up to Toei's taking the film off the market (and by consequence, its sequel as well, which was offered to the international market even before production was completed and was snapped up by 30 nations--ironically, one of these "film market" gatherings was held in Los Angeles) when it comes to North American distribution.

But given that there's no government-imposed moratorium on the film, and there are some American distributors who would probably still want to distribute BR in the U.S., one can't say that there's a "ban" on BR, whether an actual one or a "technical" one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1