• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kyoto Animation has been sucking since Haruhi ended. Haruhi was an awesome anime and it was funny, but Lucky Star, K-On!, K-On!!, everything else sucks. KyoAni's no prime Sunrise from 1979-2007 or prime Production IG from 1995-2006.

Srsly?

Please tell me you're joking.
Cait

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
Quote:
(As expected, Japanese fans have already gone afield and found the actual locations that the backgrounds are based on).

Anyone have a link for this? I always like to see the comparisons, but I'm bad at searching them out^^;

The name of the source town is Iwami. You can check out some of the comparison shots on the Tumblr tag: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/iwami

Free!, like other KyoAni anime, is an adaptation of a light novel. In this case, the novel, High Speed!, which was a lot darker and more serious than the anime is. The novel chronicles the lives of the four main characters (Haru, Makoto, Nagisa and Rin) when they are in elementary school and how they formed their relay team. It goes into the characters' backstories in a far more serious way, and to be honest, the characters as they appear in the anime are far more likable.

I do agree that the anime sort of washes through the character backstories with flashbacks in a somewhat confusing way, but for those of us who already knew the story from the novel we didn't need that information anyway. The character drama and yes, the fanservice, are what are driving the interest of the anime.

A mistake some might make with this anime is trying to judge it by sports anime standards, when while it has all the trappings of a sports anime, is not actually one. I watched episode 7 (the tournament, finally) at work with a male coworker and one of the first observations of the show he made was it was clearly designed for women based on how the character relationships were presented (above and beyond the obvious fanservice) and how the actual sports elements were an afterthought.

While I wouldn't put this anime on a list of "greatest of all time" I would definitely put it at the top of a list of "the most fun I have had watching something in years." I didn't expect to like it at all, actually. I expected to be bored to tears of the slice-of-life fujoshi-bait elements immediately, but it was actually really entertaining and has renewed my interest in anime in general.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
The Tumblr link redirects to a vast list of everything on Tumblr, but I did find these two shots on Crunchy.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
This is just a theory, but I think people who have a tumblr account may have the link work for them, whilst people who don't well... don't. I don't have one and recently Tumblr seems to have changed its policies so that only people with accounts can browse it and access most of the content -which I find incredibly mean-spirited- so that may be the reason
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
That seems to be the trend now. YouTube now makes you accept cookies just to read the comments. So if you never do, just block them by blocking cookies. Smile Probably only a matter of time before they require you to sign up and log in to watch videos. :/

But I couldn't figure out how to follow a discussion on Tumblr even when they were more open to browsing, so I'm not particularly motivated to sign up.

Edit: Thanks for the new links. Smile

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cait

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
This is just a theory, but I think people who have a tumblr account may have the link work for them, whilst people who don't well... don't. I don't have one and recently Tumblr seems to have changed its policies so that only people with accounts can browse it and access most of the content -which I find incredibly mean-spirited- so that may be the reason

Yes, I just tried logging out and following the link again, and it won't send me to the tagged page anymore. That is pretty stupid right there, Tumblr. Sorry about that. The direct links to the top two entries in the tag are below (they should work).

http://bishounen-paradise.tumblr.com/post/59302192269/excursion-to-the-locale-of-free-iwami-chou

http://thisiscyrene.tumblr.com/post/59066458414/iwatobi-the-setting-of-free-is-based-on-a-real
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Tumblr changed after Yahoo bought them so you can't browse NSFW content site wide. You can still directly link to pages and search by tags on specific tumblr sites if you know the url , but not generally browse or search by tags without logging in, IF any of the sites are nsfw from what I can tell. It's not available via Google either
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
rheiders wrote:
Quote:
(As expected, Japanese fans have already gone afield and found the actual locations that the backgrounds are based on).

Anyone have a link for this? I always like to see the comparisons, but I'm bad at searching them out^^;

The name of the source town is Iwami. You can check out some of the comparison shots on the Tumblr tag: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/

Thanks a lot! Smile
animefan425

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
If Free! were the exact same series just with girls instead of a "cast of attractive, lean-muscled young men", the review would decry about how this is merely another forgettable generic pandering otaku trash. Seriously, for more than a decade, this site has been claiming that "fan service" is the cancer killing the anime industry. And now, you dare to imply that just because this is aimed at women, fan service is suddenly not only okay, but something to be praised? Words cannot describe the hypocrisy displayed here.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
animefan425 wrote:
If Free! were the exact same series just with girls instead of a "cast of attractive, lean-muscled young men", the review would decry about how this is merely another forgettable generic pandering otaku trash. Seriously, for more than a decade, this site has been claiming that "fan service" is the cancer killing the anime industry. And now, you dare to imply that just because this is aimed at women, fan service is suddenly not only okay, but something to be praised? Words cannot describe the hypocrisy displayed here.

You don't read what we publish.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:39 am Reply with quote
That was a decent comment but it needed some italics.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:44 am Reply with quote
animefan425 wrote:

Maybe because there's something to this anime other than just fanservice. It actually has back story, some character development and not cookie cutter characters, but, characters which actually have some depth. Not saying all fanservice anime aimed at men are like that btw.
Nayu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote
I think I'd like this show more if the characters weren't simply lifted from other anime (seriously, that blondish boy is Quatre from Gundam Wing with a hint of Honey from Ouran Host Club). The writing is absurdly horrid as well, you don't give CPR to a breathing person and bottled water doesn't expire never mind that they couldn't boil it regardless.

And seriously, someone needs to get the rival into a dentist STAT. His teeth need some work.

I realize this is just yaoi-bait fluff, but honestly, I expected better.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Can't have a Free! discussion without fanboy whining. ^^

... part of the complete entertainment. great stuff.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
animefan425 wrote:

Maybe because there's something to this anime other than just fanservice. It actually has back story, some character development and not cookie cutter characters, but, characters which actually have some depth. Not saying all fanservice anime aimed at men are like that btw.

While I'm not against fanservice at all--hell it's all good--I can appreciate his point about a double standard. The problem is that for otaku shows, even if there were a substantial backstory, the reviewers would subtract points, saying how the fanservice is completely unneeded or offensive, and detracts from the story (maybe except for Theron). In other words, people are at worst neutral on the fanservice here and as well as all other otome/fujoshi titles, but definitely not neutral if the genders were reversed.

Nayu wrote:
you don't give CPR to a breathing person

Hey, gotta justify the skinship somehow Wink

This whole show is like a giant cocktease... or would that be a clittease? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4