• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Q] Entering non-speaking characters?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
Before I make a mistake, is it possible to enter the name of a character who does not have a voice actor (e.g., Matsumushi from Otogi Zoshi, and Erola Suppaatoka, AKA Erola Nakedoff, from Labyrinth of Flames)?
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:52 am Reply with quote
No. If the character has no voice or lines, then there's no point in adding them on the cast listing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Gauss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:39 am Reply with quote
Even if, hypothetically, it's a major character that happens to be mute? There might be people who would want to check up on the names of characters like that.
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote
The cast list is for crediting actors, not to list characters.
Gauss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, yes, but it's an encyclopedia. I think it's a major omission not to include characters of note merely because it's not a speaking part. And currently the only place where characters are listed is in the cast list. I'm pretty sure there are as many who use the encylopedia to look up character names as there are people checking who voiced who. I guess it could be solved with a marker where the cast member would be named ("Non-speaking part"?).
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
For now I'm going to say no. Eventually I want to add some character profiles to the encyc so it'll have to wait until then. Although it does bug me that significant non-speaking characters might go unmentioned, I'm more worried that people will use that as an excuse to enter insignificant characters e.g. "Tom's Sister's hairdresser that we saw for about 1.2 seconds at the beginning of episode 344"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:07 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
No. If the character has no voice or lines, then there's no point in adding them on the cast listing.

<Devil's advocate> Even though Erola Suppaatoka is one of the series' two antagonists? O_O </Devil's advocate>

To Dan: Okay, no entry for now.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Here's another example: Hikaru is the main Angel in Angelic Layer, but anyone who follows the series knows that Angels don't talk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1