• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Umineko - When They Cry (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4nBlue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote

Umineko - When They Cry (TV)

Genres: drama, horror, mystery, psychological, supernatural, thriller
Themes: tragedy, witches

Plot Summary: On 4 October 1986, Kinzo Ushiromiya, the head of a wealthy family, who lives on and owns Rokkenjima, a secluded island, is near death, and eight of his family members arrive on the island to discuss how Kinzo's assets will be divided once he is dead. Also on the island are three family members who live there, five of Kinzo's servants, and his personal physician. After the eight family members arrive, a typhoon traps them on the island and shortly after people begin to be mysteriously murdered.
----------------------------------

Official website
Promo video
OP sample
ED sample
Witch Hunt (the good people translating the games)

Please try to keep this topic as free as possible from spoilers from the games or if you feel you must post a spoiler, use spoiler tags and make sure it can be recognized as a spoiler from the games.

If someone feels like being spoiled, playing the games yourself is the referred choice. You can get the first game, Episode 1 - Legend of the golden witch for free and rest of the games can be bought for a rather low price, because all of the current games are included in Episode 4 - Alliance of the golden witch. The translation project has a permission from Ryuukishi07.

Topic for the game is located here.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
I'll just say this, this is not Higur 2.0, this is so much more than the premise.
RebirthedDuelist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
OP is a masterpeices, cant wait, i wonder though doesnt the anime happen around the same time as Higurashi?
i completely agree with westlo, 2 different series. anyway how much does episode 4 cost? Very Happy and when does the anime come out?
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, those themes are awful. Part of the charm for Higurashi was the subdued and/or creepy themes as opposed to some garish Ali Project-sounding crap.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
RebirthedDuelist wrote:
OP is a masterpeices, can't wait, i wonder though doesnt the anime happen around the same time as Higurashi?
i completely agree with westlo, 2 different series. anyway how much does episode 4 cost? Very Happy and when does the anime come out?
Episode 4 is $32 + shipping at Himeya. http://www.himeyashop.com/product_info.php/products_id/11978

First episode of anime airs in around 22 hours.

Higurashi happens during June 1983.
Umineko happens during October 1986

blind_assassin wrote:
Ugh, those themes are awful. Part of the charm for Higurashi was the subdued and/or creepy themes as opposed to some garish Ali Project-sounding crap.
I think they are fitting. OP is from the same artist as the games OP and Jimang is perfect for the anti-mystery faction, because his songs are mainly about fantasy.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:

Yeah, I've gotta' agree with you there.

Of course it won't stop me from giving the show a chance though. I'll just be skipping the credits.
Rika-chama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Any idea when the anime comes out? I've been waiting for one forever
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Acording the page; the begining pf next month. So probabally sometime later this week
RebirthedDuelist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
RebirthedDuelist wrote:
OP is a masterpeices, can't wait, i wonder though doesnt the anime happen around the same time as Higurashi?
Episode 4 is $32 + shipping at Himeya. http://www.himeyashop.com/product_info.php/products_id/11978

First episode of anime airs in around 22 hours.

Higurashi happens during June 1983.
Umineko happens during October 1986

blind_assassin wrote:
I think they are fitting. OP is from the same artist as the games OP and Jimang is perfect for the anti-mystery faction, because his songs are mainly about fantasy.

Thanks man, anyway damn, $32 for the game? hmmmm much cheaper then BlazBlue. anyway on with the anime, do u know any sites where i can watch it?
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
blind_assassin wrote:

Yeah, I've gotta' agree with you there.

Of course it won't stop me from giving the show a chance though. I'll just be skipping the credits.

Yeah, I tire of themes after a little while anyway. I'll just cut them from the get go for this one.

RebirthedDuelist wrote:
anyway on with the anime, do u know any sites where i can watch it?

*bzzt* You lose. Please don't try again.

Seriously though, what kind of person younger than 50 can't figure out torrents?
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:10 am Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:

I don't think the Umineko themes are that bad.. but I do agree that the Higuarashi themes are better. Full version of the OP theme for the Rei OVAs is fantastic. But when it comes to music Umineko is going to beat Higuarashi where it counts, the BGM.
Sword Magess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
It's a bit early to think about it, but Umineko highlights the weakness of having chosen When They Cry - Higurashi for the English title, even though, with one series, When They Cry works pretty well.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:47 am Reply with quote
Just saw the first episode; not very impressed. As I recall, I wasn't very impressed by Higurashi until the last little bit of the first episode so I'm not writing this off yet. It really reminded me of Code Geass though because of the themes, character designs, the random European names, and flashy dress. Despite liking Geass a tonne, the association does nothing to help Umineko since I'm not expecting or desiring it to be anything like Geass.

Maria is also officially the most annoying character of this season. I've never wanted to see a character get smacked so soon into a series (particularly a child) and have it delivered in a very timely manner. Arguably there were equally annoying characters in Higurashi but I found that the irritating traits were spread evenly over Satoko, Rena, and Rika and not rolled into one ridiculously annoying Maria.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
I stress to at least give this 2 episodes, Umineko's start is not as good as Higuarshi though once it hits its straps it surpasses it comfortably imo. They really raced through the setup material in this episode. The end of next episode (if it's THAT scene) would take place in ep 4 if they were adapting each scene and not rushing. I think DEEN know they have to get to the part that hooks viewers quickly as possible, pity most VN readers can't see that...
4nBlue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:06 am Reply with quote
Pace in the first episode was riduculously fast. The material covered took one hour in drama CD and 188 pages in manga, and both manga and drama CD skipped lots of stuff from the game. I think I can understand why some people who had played Higurashi were not happy with the anime.

Important stuff that was not included:
Story about the witch of the forest
Servants tales about Beatrice
Maria's book
Complete witch's epitaph
Explanation of Battler's situation

Complaints:
Did someone who was not familiar with Umineko actually understand who is supposed to be who's child and who is married with who or why can Eva act so rudely towards Natsuhi.
All of the parents seemed like very unsympathetic schemers, because the more slice-of-lifey parts where they acted like a nice family were cut out.
The fact that all of the parents need money and need it fast could have been highlighted.

Something good:
It was nice to see Umineko animated. Animation quality was much better than in Higurashi even though there were some bits of bad animation.
Liked all of the seiyuu except Yui Horie, but I guess it's hard to make a good impression when most of the lines are, "uuu-uuu".
Liked both OP and ED much. ED could maybe use some visuals.

Even though I may complain much my impression of the first episode was positive and it was enjoyable to watch.

Westlo wrote:
I think DEEN know they have to get to the part that hooks viewers quickly as possible, pity most VN readers can't see that...
Having the shit hit the fan early has the potential to hook more viewers, but the manga took half a year to get to that scene (it was not even included in the first tankoubon), so surely the anime could have survived with a little slower pace.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 41