• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
May We Enter Easter Eggs in Trivia Section of Encyclopedia?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Theron made this suggestion in the General Anime forum about the possibility of posting anime Easter Eggs (hidden extras in DVDs) into the Trivia section of the particular title. I was under the impression (as pertained in this memorandum from 2004) that the Trivia section was only for references and explanations of certain aspects of a particular title, and not for something that has no bearing to the anime itself. Is it permissible for us to list Easter Eggs into the Trivia section, or should we list them under the (Other information) section of the Encyclopedia?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:31 am Reply with quote
Indeed I wouldn't want easter eggs to be posted under trivia; it's just not what trivia is supposed to be. But easter eggs are valid and significant information to have so I'm going to create a new info type for it.

Really, the way it was *supposed* to work is that people would enter this kind of information under "other", which would allow me to create new info types that currently don't exist in the encyc and then move the information under that new type.

But instead I've come to realize that people try to put information where it "fits best"; like the dates for various releases being added under "vintage" or easter eggs under "trivia". And "other" has been mostly used by people who put a bunch of information pasted from somewhere else because they don't want to make the effort of entering each piece by themselves. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:30 am Reply with quote
That's what I thought. Thanks, Dan! Cool
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:31 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
And "other" has been mostly used by people who put a bunch of information pasted from somewhere else because they don't want to make the effort of entering each piece by themselves. ;_;

Actually, at the time I thought I had discovered a way to enter info en masse (there's a bug in the entry system that allows you to not have to actually have to make a choice from the pulldown menu which form of info you want to enter, defaulting to "Other" instead). I only discovered my error later; I will clean up those entries (about seven to ten of them) one of these days, I promise! (I did do Dragon Pink with the last week or so.)

Okay, I also cleaned up New Dominion Tank Police, though I need to have specified the precision of certain info (since I did not enter the originals):
    Script: Hiroshi Yamaguchi (1 & 2)

Animation Director:
    * Shuichi Shimamura (1 & 2)
    * Kazuto Nakazawa (1 & 2)
    * Hisashi Ezura (1-4)
    * Yoshinobu Yamakawa (3-6)
Proof:
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
Ok, I have now added "DVD Easter Eggs"; knock yourselves out! Anime smile

When someone has added enough easter eggs for a series, please let me know so I can add it as an example of what to enter in the instructions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
OK, as a start, I tried to enter the Easter Egg for the Sailor Moon S Movie: Hearts in Ice, but I found that information from a magazine (not online), so I don't have a URL to back up my finding. As a result, when I clicked the "Submit" button, it gave me the URL Missing error message. Is there a way to override the URL requirement to enter Easter Egg information from a physical source (i.e. magazine)?
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Ah, put "[Magazine name], [Issue], Page #". It just needs to be a place someone somewhere can access. Hell, even "I found it" would probably work (in this case, I mean after all it is an easter egg). Someone else could always try it.

edit: added a bit of clarification.

Last edited by Samurai CDZ on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Is there a way to override the URL requirement to enter Easter Egg information from a physical source (i.e. magazine)?

It needs not to be a valid URL. Just provide a valid source (e.g. the name of the magazine; better if you could provide issue and page number, but those are not required) is good enough. Same applies to all URL fields.

EDIT: Beaten.
Where's Alpha-san?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
EDIT: Beaten.
Where's Alpha-san?

Payback. Wink
I needed a change. I can't really describe why. I just did. I made a comment when I changed.
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:14 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
biliano wrote:
Is there a way to override the URL requirement to enter Easter Egg information from a physical source (i.e. magazine)?

It needs not to be a valid URL. Just provide a valid source (e.g. the name of the magazine; better if you could provide issue and page number, but those are not required) is good enough. Same applies to all URL fields.

Sounds good to me. Thanks. Cool

Looks like I'm going to have to dig up those old Anime Insider magazines when I get home from work.
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Ok, I have now added "DVD Easter Eggs"; knock yourselves out! Anime smile

When someone has added enough easter eggs for a series, please let me know so I can add it as an example of what to enter in the instructions.

I just finished entering a series of Easter Eggs for Kiddy Grade. Maybe you can use this as your example.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1