• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
What kind of person would care so much about a show's rating on some website that they would try to manipulate the rating system to try and bomb a show's ratings simply because it's popular?
I agree with you. If a show is popular, it is popular. What can you do about it, lower a show's ratings? I mean there are a couple of series that I have seen that do not deserve the lowest rating. Spirited Away has seven Worst ever ratings though it is not bad as Haruhi's. I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinions but I would be more convinced if someone defends their position. Would someone say The Incredibles by Pixar is the worst movie possible? It is possible be it for various reasons, such as anti-Pixar/CG movies, too childish, and others that I can not comprehend. Ratings can be good if they are done correctly since everyone has something different to say.

On another topic, we go to the Haruhi Suzumiya flyers. I am not sure but I heard that supposedly some of the flyers have a ADV logo on it. I went to the link posted here and see no such thing. Is this just another one of those rumors?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
It's a rumour. I think someone took a picture of the flyer along with something from ADV and people jumped to conclusions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
free2slap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
i never intended to type in this thread since this show doesn't really interest me much. however since i see the talks here are headed another way, so i thought i should post my own comment.
( probably killing myself saying this but ) when i first watched "harushi", i also put it for worst ever. i believe i watched 5 episodes but after that i said that i quit. how i rate an anime is pretty simple if the beginning doesn't interest me then i put it for worst ever. but after a few episodes if the show gets better then the rates go up. since this show doesn't stand in my criteria for a good anime, so i just decided that i wouldn't continue .and since i could'nt go furthur even though i didn't like it. right now its rate is posted as "not really good".

poeple may deny it or do whatever they want but it's confirmed that this anime is the most popular through this year. and i didn't need no ratings on websites to even realize this fact.
Quote:
Agreed, and is it just me, or does it seem kind of off that there's 45 Worst Evers already? It just kind of seems fishy to me, maybe the mods can check the IPs on those votes and make sure it's not some idiot making new accounts just to do it to make it look bad. I mean sure, some people might not like it, but considering the amount of votes that's quite a handfull that thinks it's worse than some of the crappiest anime ever made, hmm, can't think of a few examples off the top of my head, but I think people know a true worst ever anime when they see it

you mentioned that 45 people rated worst out of making new accounts but you should accept this fact that it does go both way. if i recall when this anime has just gotten out to his popularity, this anime would get 100 votes in one day and as to rate to be a masterpiece. just like people are making accounts to vote for worst, more are even doing the same but rating it as masterpiece. if the moderators would check for mutliple accounts, believe me this anime rates would go down to 500 or so. or do you want just the" worst " to be taken out?! but nevertheless i think all this is just childish play because those rates don't really mean nothing, especially to me. for instance like yesterday i checked that " scrapped princess" was rated highly in every webistes. my first thought i was like WTF is scrapped princess anyway. what i'm trying to say is that taste varies and nothing like faking rates would make someone to watch an anime.
and another thing, i should emphasize that people are more making fake accounts to rate it as masterpiece but rather as worst. and sometimes it's kinda funny to see how this crap is been handled. like has anyone checked out this anime database webiste Very Happy . this may be a new record in the history of making fake accounts because one day i saw "harushi" getting 1000 votes in one day. i was like OMG and it's like a competition. one minute you see the anime ranked 4th place and the next second it's back to first place with a 10 vote accumulated and it goes back and forth, back and forth till they start to rate worst also to the other shows around. funniest thing to see is how they tried also it in the animenfo website and in one day harushi was number 10 Very Happy but the moderators in this website aren't dumb and they checked out everyone with fake accounts.

but overall through all this talk i just wanted to point out that no matter what harushi is the most popular in this year. even though i think mushishi deserve this place more.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, first things first, your rating system is not only stupid free2slap, it defeats the point of having ratings systems to begin with. A show doesn't become the worst show ever because you don't like it, it becomes the worst show ever if it actually is the worst show ever, and there is no case you can make to justify a 0 for Haruhi. It's not "your style"? What about the rest of the shows you're not going to finish, are they all the "worst" show ever too? Since that's obviously not possible, clearly you're being biased and quite frankly an a-hole by rating it a 0. You stopped watchin Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop too I see, why'd you stop watching those; you rated them a 5, and CB is on TV ALL the time, there's nothing stopping you from watching if it is your style (and it must be since you didn't rate it a 0).

Second, you're lying, I'm looking at your "will not finish" list right now and you rated it a 0, not a 4.

Third, like I said, I use Haruhi as my example of morons, because it's the best, most obvious, most popular show being abused right now. It's the principle of the thing more than anything.

Fourth, while I in no way deny the idea that there are many many false masterpiece ratings out there, you can't make a convincing argument with your limited information about if or how many of them are false. On the other hand, it simply does not deserve a '0' no matter what objective or subjective lens you examine it with, so it's OBVIOUS there's at least 45 votes that aren't where they belong.

Fifth, why would your opinion of Mushishi, or any other anime for that matter, affect your opinion of Haruhi? There's no rule saying you can only like one or the other Confused

Sixth, if you're gonna post what you don't like and try and justify rating Haruhi a 0, why not have the balls to make your seen all category public?

Seventh:
Quote:
nevertheless i think all this is just childish play because those rates don't really mean nothing, especially to me.

Fine then, don't rate them please. If you don't care about what they mean, don't rate them at all and leave the rating system to those that DO care about it. I don't care if Haruhi is in first or 1000th place, so long as the scores it receives are all ones that the people honestly think they deserve.

Eigth:
Quote:
for instance like yesterday i checked that " scrapped princess" was rated highly in every webistes. my first thought i was like WTF is scrapped princess anyway.

Were you trying to say something or make an important point here? It doesn't make any sense.

Ninth:
Quote:
and i didn't need no ratings on websites to even realize this fact.

Oh man, this is a great sentence. Gotta love the 'and' at the beginning, it's uncapitalized, double negatives, and just the general lack of purpose. Sorry, not to be your mom or anything... but c'mon man, you can do better than that. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
how i rate an anime is pretty simple if the beginning doesn't interest me then i put it for worst ever.

Thank you for admitting to spamming the encyclopedia. Normally people aren't stupid enough to come out and say it, and I admire your utter ignorance. I hope someone can revoke your voting priveledge now.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Quote:
how i rate an anime is pretty simple if the beginning doesn't interest me then i put it for worst ever.

Thank you for admitting to spamming the encyclopedia. Normally people aren't stupid enough to come out and say it, and I admire your utter ignorance. I hope someone can revoke your voting priveledge now.

That's exactly what I was trying to allude to Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I was going to say something to the same effect earlier, but I decided against it.

This guy seems to have about 3 ratings: Worst Ever, Okay, and Masterpiece, with ocassional variations.

And then there's the whole "I don't feel like finishing it so it's the worst anime ever" which is stupid and, again, defeats the purpose of rating things anyways.

If people don't like Haruhi, fine. I'm not saying they have to. It doesn't appeal to them and that's fine. But giving this anything lower than a 3 is ludicrous.
free2slap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, first things first, your rating system is not only stupid free2slap, it defeats the point of having ratings systems to begin with. A show doesn't become the worst show ever because you don't like it, it becomes the worst show ever if it actually is the worst show ever, and there is no case you can make to justify a 0 for Haruhi. It's not "your style"? What about the rest of the shows you're not going to finish, are they all the "worst" show ever too? Since that's obviously not possible, clearly you're being biased and quite frankly an a-hole by rating it a 0. You stopped watchin Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop too I see, why'd you stop watching those; you rated them a 5, and CB is on TV ALL the time, there's nothing stopping you from watching if it is your style (and it must be since you didn't rate it a 0).

you would think i'd be suprised but i'm not even one bit. call me stupid, call me dumb, call me an ignorant. after all there's always a dude who needs to criticize you in any forum. but here i thought i would get more hatred replies and only got two. i'd say i'm more suprised on this point Smile

i mean sheesh, i guess i just forgot this thread was an all only "oh i admire harushi".

when i stopped watching outlaw star i was in episode 22 and thought i wouldn't need to watch the rest but it was a long time ago but i've finally finished it. just like i told you when you sent me an e-mail about my list that i'm still trying to organize it and pretty much just like you've gotten yours. but heh, excuse me for being stupid and not find enough time to do so.
and your comment about cowboy bebop, i don't intend to reply because i've many time explained this over and i want to keep this short.

Quote:
Fifth, why would your opinion of Mushishi, or any other anime for that matter, affect your opinion of Haruhi? There's no rule saying you can only like one or the other

sorry i couldn't find anything from my post when i said that others anime affected me not to watch haruhi or is it just another way to call me stupid?!

Quote:
Sixth, if you're gonna post what you don't like and try and justify rating Haruhi a 0, why not have the balls to make your seen all category public?

sorry again but i guess it's not very much to say when i'm always outside and only find little time to get on my computer .besides when i specifically told you that i was still trying to arrange my anime list. but hey i guess again this is just another way to call me stupid. Smile

Quote:
Oh man, this is a great sentence. Gotta love the 'and' at the beginning, it's uncapitalized, double negatives, and just the general lack of purpose. Sorry, not to be your mom or anything... but c'mon man, you can do better than that

you know this comment really crack me up. this paragraph just made my day. i mean to go this far and critisize my grammar or anything not being capitalized and to even try to say or involve something about my mom. OMG dude i mean you really trying to point out that i'm stupid. good job!! Wink

Quote:
Thank you for admitting to spamming the encyclopedia. Normally people aren't stupid enough to come out and say it, and I admire your utter ignorance. I hope someone can revoke your voting priveledge now

good job! your like the second person who hate me now. hope that makes you happy. and i have a good reaon for this simple way of why i rate like this but i won't explain because everything i say will fall from being stupid.

but everything was a good experience though and clarify some of my theory i was trying to proove but nonetheless don't forget that i'm still stupid. "selenta" since everything resolves about anime list for you, then i guess i really need to try to finish it before you tell me i'm a coward or i'm stupid again.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
I recommend stopping this arguing now. Free2slap is going to vote the way he wants to and I doubt he's going to change his way of voting no matter what we say is "wrong" about the way he does it.

This thread was locked before and is still in danger of getting locked. I had to PM Tony and urge him to unlock it. I rather like this thread and would rather it not be locked. So can we stop this now?
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:52 am Reply with quote
free2slap wrote:
i mean sheesh, i guess i just forgot this thread was an all only "oh i admire harushi".

I thought I made this clear, but the reason I even bothered to reply to your post (as I'm aware of your stance for the most part), isn't because I'm a Haruhi fan, it's the principle. I'm a very close minded person when it comes to ignorance and unneccessary laziness (it'd take me a long time to describe what I mean by that); I think it is absolutely unacceptable to stubbornly stick to the wrong answer in light of the facts, if doing so is simply because of stubborness.

free2slap wrote:
just like i told you when you sent me an e-mail about my list that i'm still trying to organize it and pretty much just like you've gotten yours. but heh, excuse me for being stupid and not find enough time to do so.

Well, I do apologize about that. I had forgotten it was you that said that about your list. I talk to a bunch of people here, asking them questions and what not about what they have listed, I sometimes get them confused or outright forget things. Bringing up other things on your list (even if they were extremely valid issues), should not have been done.

free2slap wrote:
sorry again but i guess it's not very much to say when i'm always outside and only find little time to get on my computer .besides when i specifically told you that i was still trying to arrange my anime list. but hey i guess again this is just another way to call me stupid. Smile

you know this comment really crack me up. this paragraph just made my day. i mean to go this far and critisize my grammar or anything not being capitalized and to even try to say or involve something about my mom. OMG dude i mean you really trying to point out that i'm stupid. good job!! Wink

Hmm... yes and no. I wasn't really trying to point out that you're stupid (usually I let people do it themselves), it's just that I know you can type better than that. As you know, when you're trying to talk to people online, it is extremely difficult to convey emotion, tone, and intention; the reason we try to have standards here at ANN (i.e. no 7331 speak) for grammer and spelling is to try and convey our intended idea as effectively as possible. It really wasn't a serious jab at you, it was just a really funny sounding sentence (such blatent double negatives are always funny, except when they're unintentional, and then they're just sad)

free2slap wrote:
good job! your like the second person who hate me now. hope that makes you happy. and i have a good reaon for this simple way of why i rate like this but i won't explain because everything i say will fall from being stupid.

/sigh
It's not you I hate as a person, I don't know enough about you to do that yet. I'd have to innumerable more things about you such as why you don't rate shows like the rating system is intended, what kind of a person you are, how you carry yourself, whether or not you ACTUALLY believe what you type here or if you're just trolling (I don't know why you picked that name for example, but a name like that is nearly always that of a troller), etc etc.

free2slap wrote:
but everything was a good experience though and clarify some of my theory i was trying to proove but nonetheless don't forget that i'm still stupid. "selenta" since everything resolves about anime list for you, then i guess i really need to try to finish it before you tell me i'm a coward or i'm stupid again.

Blah blah, yah sure, you're the tragic hero, congratulations. That's like the 10th time you said you're stupid, nobody cares even if it is true. Either be prepared to at least TRY to logically defend yourself (at least SOME aspect of what you're saying), or don't bother posting something you can't defend. Or, the even better option sometimes, is to be a man (/sigh.... or woman, damn you PC) and realize that occasionally, people are wrong and there is a better way to do things.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:11 am Reply with quote
Selenta, I assume you were writing that while I wrote my post... I know you can't delete (or edit as of now) your post now... I really don't want this thread to get locked but, ugh, I'm almost sure free2slap will respond to what you said making this even worse...

Don't respond to him again if you don't want the thread to be locked.
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:12 am Reply with quote
free2slap wrote:

Ok so you're outside and have no time to arrange your anime list...but you specifically tell people that you are trying to arrange it. And I guess you're also outside when you're making 20-feet-long posts Rolling Eyes

And it's HARUHI

Selenta is just telling you not to downvote anything on a whim. Have you even tried to objectively look at SHnY? Maybe the animation isn't so bad, eh? Maybe there are a few nice jokes, eh? Maybe the drawings and details are good, eh? Maybe some Seiyuu have done an incredible job, eh?

Rolling Eyes NO WAY! SCREW THAT! let's just give it Goose Egg because we don't even really watch it. Way to go and create an effective rating system that tells you what people really THINK (like, thinking, not just pitching a number) of an anime.

Before you complain, I don't hate you or think you are stupid. I just think you should think a bit more before you post here or rate a title in the encyclopedia. If you just come out and spit hate at a popular title, without any grammar or punctuation, and then add a comment about your low self-esteem at every two sentences, it's kind of normal that you get flamed.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:11 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Selenta, I assume you were writing that while I wrote my post... I know you can't delete (or edit as of now) your post now... I really don't want this thread to get locked but, ugh, I'm almost sure free2slap will respond to what you said making this even worse...

Don't respond to him again if you don't want the thread to be locked.

Shocked How did you know that? Is it a server thing? Hehe, I always assumed the problem was just on my end, years and years of computer troubleshooting taught me that unless the computer just spontaneously resets, it's always user error (though spontaneous resets are often user error too Rolling Eyes ). I guess that doesn't really hold true though for the internet and servers. Don't worry, I'll drop it. Though I don't know how much more there is to discuss on this thread about the show until the sequel comes out in a year or so, I'd hate to see it locked.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:22 am Reply with quote
Don't you all know the net rule that anything that isn't the greatest ever must be the worst ever?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
This thread already got locked once (and then unlocked); I wouldn't want to see it locked again. Probably should switch to a different topic of discussion...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 53 of 213