• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-04-14]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote
Personally, my favorite anime review site is Anime Jump, because the reviewers there generally have a great sense of humor. Especially the site owner, Mike Toole. That man has the gift of "the funny." I can expect at least a couple of big LOLs when reading one of his.

I may not always agree with the ratings they give, but the reviews themselves are intelligent and thorough, and use much of the same criteria by which I rate the anime I watch, so I can get a good sense of whether or not I'll enjoy something. Works for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote
Kamon wrote:
Personally, my favorite anime review site is Anime Jump, because the reviewers there generally have a great sense of humor. Especially the site owner, Mike Toole. That man has the gift of "the funny." I can expect at least a couple of big LOLs when reading one of his.

I may not always agree with the ratings they give, but the reviews themselves are intelligent and thorough, and use much of the same criteria by which I rate the anime I watch, so I can get a good sense of whether or not I'll enjoy something. Works for me.

Holy crap, I can't believe I forgot Anime Jump. Let me add that to the article.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:13 am Reply with quote
I haven't heard of AnimeJump before but I'll give it a look. I enjoy reading THEManime reviews, as they tend to be humorous.

Also, I love this new contest. I can't wait to read the winners.
Kamon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:16 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Heh, thanks. Smile I must admit I was a bit surprised they weren't there, as I'm pretty sure I've heard you talk about them in the past.

Another thing I like about AJ is that they review a lot of older, more obscure titles that you really won't find reviews of anywhere else.

Themanime.org can be good, but YMMV...some of the reviews I've read there stray a bit too close to rabid fan OMG KAWAII ^__^ territory, which I absolutely cannot stand when trying to read a review to get a serious idea of whether or not I'll like something. Not only is it annoying, it can also be in-your-face biased. Obviously all reviewers are biased to some degree, but I appreciate it when they make an effort to review objectively. When it's plainly obvious that a review was written by a huge fan of the show in question, that tends to reduce their credibility to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
HyweinKioko4031

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
xvkarbear wrote:
True, traditionally hand drawn animation takes much more time then computer generated animation does.

Although, it's unfair to say the effort required is less. "A few mouse clicks" is not all it takes. There's much more involved then clicking or dragging or pointing.

We learn the same basics of animation that everyone else does, just happen to use different tools to create it.

(Also a computer animation student)

OwO Oh wow! Really!? (Haha, and I know this sounds a bit-off topic for this forum) but where did/are you going to school? I want to go to a college to major in either art or film, so animation has sort of peaked my interest Anime smile;;
NamaeX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:21 pm Reply with quote
HyweinKioko4031 wrote:
OwO Oh wow! Really!? (Haha, and I know this sounds a bit-off topic for this forum) but where did/are you going to school? I want to go to a college to major in either art or film, so animation has sort of peaked my interest Anime smile;;

Even though that question isn't directed towards me, I go to the Toronto Film School.
Ceru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know there was one here.

I go to an animation college also in the GTA. It's a traditional animation course, but we also take courses in Maya as part of the curriculum.

If you're looking into film, go into film. If you want art, go into art. You need them combined for animation though. If animation does interest you, take my advice and don't skip traditional for the sake of CG. I maintain that all the CG skills in the world can't help you make an appealing animation if you don't have some grasp/some experience in traditional hand-drawn stuff. Confused
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
No mention of the prestigious Anime Academy anime review site? For shame.

I love the rant section idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jaybug39

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
HyweinKioko4031;
The best film schools I know of are UCLA, USC, and the University of Texas, at Austin. I know here at the University of Oregon there is some animation going on, computer and otherwise, but it is not known as a film school. Better known for Nike. Or perhaps Merchant Ivory Productions film company.
Dorian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:52 pm Reply with quote
xvkarbear wrote:
is it me, or does Zac seem to be answering less and less questions every week?

Well... I know he hasn't answerd MY questions -- sigh.

I could resend them.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Never heard of it. What's prestigious about it?
Adam Arnold

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac, I do have to correct you on the Evangelion anime/manga dates. The manga actually did start before the anime came out.

Here's a quote from EX.org about it:
"The manga originally appeared in the monthly SHONEN ACE A (Boys Ace A) manga magazine. Note that the first compilation volume contains material from February to July of 1995, starting eight months before the first anime episode aired on October 4th."
LINK: http://www.ex.org/1.1/22-manga_eva.html
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Never heard of it. What's prestigious about it?

Well, it was on the late AnimeFringe's "Top 25 Must Visit Anime Websites" for four years in a row, for one thing. Last year, third only to Anime on DVD (#2) and this very website (#1).

Second, it is a very well organized, unique anime review website with some very well written reviews.

Third, Annie May.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Kamon wrote:

What about animeacademy.com , any reason I should not look there? Question I think they normally give a fair shake.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
What about animeacademy.com , any reason I should not look there? Question I think they normally give a fair shake.

Keep in mind that Zac's list wasn't meant to be all-inclusive.

Anime Academy has some respectable content and an interesting style, but I have to be at least a bit suspicious of a site which ranks Visions of Escaflowne as its second-best anime title overall and calls it "the best anime title of the decade [the 90s]." (Granted, it's a good series but not that good.) Their forums also apparently allow signatures on posts, which gets really out of hand. Makes me glad that ANN doesn't allow them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3