• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Dashing and Devoted Servants

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Msag

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:35 am Reply with quote
So I know... Hans from this list.

-_- I really need to get down to watching Black Butler and Pandora Hearts!

As for the poll, yayy a Miyazaki favourite film poll ♥
My favourites are: My Neighbour Totoro, Whispers of the Heart (don't know if it counts), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle (in that order). So Howl it is for me ^-^ Nice to see that Howl has more fans than I thought it did, most ANN forums I've read rate this movie as one of his worst (which I think is unfair but hey, its my opinion).
Spleen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:20 am Reply with quote
"Fox-tailed" Soshi? I assumed he was a dog - hence the (annoying but funny) neediness.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote
Msag wrote:

It's better to read Pandora Hearts than to watch it. The anime only manages to cover the part of the manga that does the world-building that prepares the ground leading too the story later awesomeness.
EastN3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:54 am Reply with quote
Even though he's an assistant, not a servant, I feel as if Lieutenant Oscar from Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, should be on this list.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
People find Hayate's character design attractive? I don't think he's particularly dreamy/dashing.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
There's something seriously wrong with Sebastian being last. So maybe his devotion is directly proportional to spoiler[his desire to devour Ciel's soul], but he should have higher points from Dashingness than many from this list.

Can't understand how Lancer from Fate/Zero isn't here. If that's not the perfect example of dashing and devoted I don't know what is.
Dynamic A

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
No love for the dashing Duc "Gyoi" d'Broglie from Le Chevalier D'Eon or Walter from Hellsing? Perhaps the columnist's aesthetics are off Wink

-DA
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:19 am Reply with quote
I am not that much into butlers, but I missed Hayate because I liked his series (yeah, I know it's still on the run; sadly, not here).

As for Miyazaki: I say Porco Rosso. I was lucky enough to watch it on a cinema, and I am a Ghibli's fan since then.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
Well, I have to admit I loved the rugged good looks of Hans from Emma. Maybe I'm just so turned on a dark handsome man with a pretty sort of "they think he's angrey all the time" guy that would kick a guy's a$$ for a lady. Now what would this term be called in anime since women get the "tsundere" title. Well, we all know what it's called in "yaoi".

Unfortunately I can't think of any dashing and devoted servants say those guys from Blood+

Oh just thought of one. How about Masa of Kizuna. Now there's a devoted servant.
Marajsky06

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
No Walter Dornez from Hellsing? What about the 1945 version? He's had the rare position of being young, handsome and dashing and older, mature, handsome and dashing.

Yea why isn't Walter on this list????
Marajsky06

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
No Walter Dornez from Hellsing? What about the 1945 version? He's had the rare position of being young, handsome and dashing and older, mature, handsome and dashing.

Yea why isn't Walter on this list????
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Larva from Vampire Princess Miyu.

I don't think Lava counts - he is at least partially coerced by Miyu. spoiler[IIRC she drank his blood and made him her servant and there is an arc where he is released from her control - but it's been a while since I read the manga.]

When it comes down to it, I don't think anyone who is a servant would say that it was their first choice in occupations. There is always some circumstance that places them in that role.
Msag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Msag wrote:

It's better to read Pandora Hearts than to watch it. The anime only manages to cover the part of the manga that does the world-building that prepares the ground leading too the story later awesomeness.

Thanks for the advice! But I tend to watch animes first (if there's one available for the series) and THEN read the manga as a way of getting into the series. Weird considering the source material is usually better than the adaptations half of the time, but its become my method now.

Either way, I'll get around to reading it for sure ^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3