• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chrono Crusade (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:02 pm Reply with quote
The last episode had to have scored some crazy bonus points. I didn't like how the conflict with Aion was carried out in the end as it felt extremely rushed and fragmented, but the final scenes with rosette and Chrono is hands down one of the best closures i have ever seen. Without the ending, I would not have rated this anime above good.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I was watching the extras on the first DVD of Chrono Crusade yesterady. While watching the extra about the history of the Magdalene order there is a chart that has the Chicago branch on the top with it's twelve other locations listed below. Since I'm in San Francisco I hit pause to see if there was a San Francisco branch. Sure enough I saw it listed, but as San Francisco, NY. Unless this city teleported from New York to California sometime in the 30s I believe it is a funny mistake. I wonder if this is also why the chart is untranslated by ADV.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I was watching the extras on the first DVD of Chrono Crusade yesterady. While watching the extra about the history of the Magdalene order there is a chart that has the Chicago branch on the top with it's twelve other locations listed below. Since I'm in San Francisco I hit pause to see if there was a San Francisco branch. Sure enough I saw it listed, but as San Francisco, NY. Unless this city teleported from New York to California sometime in the 30s I believe it is a funny mistake. I wonder if this is also why the chart is untranslated by ADV.
Probably just a mistake, I mean when you think about it the Title of the show is incorrectly spelled. So to have San Francisco in NY isn't a huge deal, but still kinda funny when you think about it.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, maybe you can post a pic of it? I didn't even notice the chart, then again I tend to miss a lot of things becuase I just like to sit back and read the sub-titles, not very fond of dubs because English isn't as fun to listen to as Japanese, the former sounding more "rough" while the latter sounding more lyrical, probably becuase I like things that tend to rhyme/rhime (w/e spelling you use) which happens a lot in Japanese.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Probably just a mistake, I mean when you think about it the Title of the show is incorrectly spelled.
Chrono Crusade has numerous mistakes in the English it displays, but I don't think the title was one of them.
Chrono Crusade Trivia wrote:
The reason why the series is titled "Chrno Crusade" in Japan, not "Chrono Crusade" is due to trademark concerns with "Chrono" in that country. In North America, there were no trademark concerns, as the anime series was spelled according to what the creators originally intended.
Here's a link to a pic.
From left to right, the cities are:
Cincinnati, Ohio
Salt Lake, Utah (it doesn't say "City")
Richmond, Virginia
Dallas, Texas
St. Louis, Missouri
Jackson, Mississippi
Detroit, Michigan
Miami, Florida
Denver, Colorado
Phoenix, Arizona
San Francisco, New York
New York, New York
Headquarters = Chicago
Why didn't they translate it? Well, in the words of one fansub typesetter, "Vertical signs are a b*tch." It would be hard to include horizontal subtitles for all those cities without being confusing or hopelessly cluttering the screen. If I had to do it, I'd do a diagonal cascade with city names roughly centered on each column. Two diagonal lines would be necessary, I think.
RedComet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the Christopher Macdonald talked to Daisuke Moriyama at a con about the spelling of the title and it was a mistake and not because of legal issues dealing with Chrono Trigger and the like.

Here's the link to it.

http://animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18772&postdays=0&postorder=asc&topic_view=&start=15

Last edited by RedComet on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I would hae to agree that it was most likely be a mistake. A company can't sue another company just because the only thing in common with their products is a single word that's rather common. That's like saying Clorox Bleach is going to sue the producers of Bleach because they share the same name.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Zalis116"]Chrono Crusade has numerous mistakes in the English it displays, but I don't think the title was one of them.
Chrono Crusade Trivia wrote:
The reason why the series is titled "Chrno Crusade" in Japan, not "Chrono Crusade" is due to trademark concerns with "Chrono" in that country. In North America, there were no trademark concerns, as the anime series was spelled according to what the creators originally intended.

Yea I think it was a mistake, the Trivia section is really an end all for information, my good buddy Nagisa provides a little more information.
Nagisa wrote:
Actually the original manga author admitted it was a print error that wasn't caught until the first chapter had already been published.

Well there ya have it, I guess then it should be consider a spelling mistake. But to be fair Zalis I made the same mistake originally as well, believing Chrono Trigger/Crusade being the issue as to why it is spelled that way.

Daemonblue wrote:
A company can't sue another company just because the only thing in common with their products is a single word that's rather common. That's like saying Clorox Bleach is going to sue the producers of Bleach because they share the same name.

But in this case Chrono is an unique term, it's not like the title of the show was Trigger, and Squaresoft (Now Square-enix) said that it was copyright infringement. But I guess it was really an issue of spelling huh?
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Siilent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:39 am Reply with quote
During camp, my cabin mate raved about how Chrono Crusade was the best she'd seen, how it was amazing. However, after watching the dub trailer, I questioned her support towards it.

As usual with these kinds of threads of mine, I have a few questions.

1. When I watched the dub trailer, it was presented as extremely cheesy. Does it have more originality than portrayed, or is that just the dub?

(The trailer can be viewed here: www.madman.com.au/chronocrusade/

2. This is just a curiosity question: is there a connection between Chrono Crusade and Full Metal Alchemist? The artwork and expressions look very similar.

3. Does ~romance~ play that big a part in this series? I prefer no more than in Fruits Basket. If you've seen it, using FB would be a helpful comparison!

4. How did you feel about this series in general? Was it amazing? How well-developed were the characters?

5. Finally, if pushed to decide, does this series rely more on comedy or drama? After seeing the trailer, it looks quite light-hearted and humorous. When I viewed a short AMV, however, it was quite angst-ridden. Confused Does it just jump from one to another like that?

Thanks for your help! I'm...quite picky with these types of things. Embarassed I like to know a lot beforehand.

Er...No spoilers please. Mad[/url][/i]
Greennunu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:31 am Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:
During camp, my cabin mate raved about how Chrono Crusade was the best she'd seen, how it was amazing. However, after watching the dub trailer, I questioned her support towards it.

As usual with these kinds of threads of mine, I have a few questions.

1. When I watched the dub trailer, it was presented as extremely cheesy. Does it have more originality than portrayed, or is that just the dub?

(The trailer can be viewed here: www.madman.com.au/chronocrusade/

2. This is just a curiosity question: is there a connection between Chrono Crusade and Full Metal Alchemist? The artwork and expressions look very similar.

3. Does ~romance~ play that big a part in this series? I prefer no more than in Fruits Basket. If you've seen it, using FB would be a helpful comparison!

4. How did you feel about this series in general? Was it amazing? How well-developed were the characters?

5. Finally, if pushed to decide, does this series rely more on comedy or drama? After seeing the trailer, it looks quite light-hearted and humorous. When I viewed a short AMV, however, it was quite angst-ridden. Confused Does it just jump from one to another like that?

Thanks for your help! I'm...quite picky with these types of things. Embarassed I like to know a lot beforehand.

Er...No spoilers please. Mad[/url][/i]

1 - I skipped watching the trailer, because I believe trailer sometimes make think the movie/show something it really isn't.

2 - dunno about artwork wise but story wise is a no.

3 - I don't think romance plays a big role at all.. maybe towards the spoiler[very end.]

4 - I bought the thin pack, and I think it was worth my money, but it doesnt fall into my top 20, not a very powerful anime IMO, although the ending was a bit surprising.

5 - Well I think comedy out weighted(sp?) drama in this anime but i'm sure some people will disagree, being a fan of both drama and comedy, if I had to rate it based on drama I'd be a low score, character development wasn't great ether, other than the main characters (2 of them) I thought the rest were pretty -low average.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:12 am Reply with quote
1. Yeah, that trailer does look a lot cheesier than the show actually is. I personally don't like the dub because Hilary Haag voices the lead female character. Whether it's her lisp or something else about her voice, I can't stand any character that she does.

2. Aside from a few actors and someone working on some scripts, there's nothing.
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/compare.php?anime_list=2960-2884

3. I wouldn't really say there's any romance. The two main characters have a relationship that might come close, but it's not really a romantic relationship at all.

4. I thought the series was very good, especially toward the end. I wouldn't say that there's a whole lot of character development, but they do explore the characters' pasts so you can see how they developed before the events of the series.

5. Well, toward the beginning, there's probably more comedy. But as things progress, it becomes quite a bit more serious and the ending can be a tear jerker.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I am just going to go answer in order just to let you know...

Siilent wrote:

I have seen the series both sub and dub, and although there are some cheesy moments, much like how Ed (from FMA) will get mad if someone calls him short.....otherwise this series has a lot of depth to it if you ask me.

Siilent wrote:

There similar in that there both the same genre, other then that there both light hearted series have have deeper roots.

Siilent wrote:

As for Romance I think there is a little bit, there is that same type of love for Rosette to help her brother. I haven't seen fruit baskets so I have no idea how much love is in that.

Siilent wrote:

I really enjoyed this series, it's one of those series that has a good balance between the serious nature of the story and yet keeping things light hearted.....I will say that there are some powerful moments in this series.

Siilent wrote:

I wouldn't trust an AMV in judging a story, often times AMV jump around so that the scenes fit the music on screen. Like I noted above there is a good balance in this story between drama and comedy. That said I felt the first 12 episodes were a little bit on the comedy side, whereas the remainder of the series becomes much more serious. Overall it's still a good mix if you ask me.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:

No, there is no connection between them.

Quote:

There is minimal romance in the series.

Quote:

I only saw the first 6 or 7 episodes of the anime, but I read the entire manga. I believe the anime is pretty similar to the manga with minor differences. I thought the manga was pretty good and I'd like to see the rest of the anime at some point.

Quote:

There is a decent amount of comedy at the beginning, but its gets darker and more story and drama oriented as it goes on. It's not "angsty" in my opinion, though. However, I can't say how much comedy the anime contains in the later portion.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

i think they both owned by SquareEnix and/pr make by the same studio.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I doubt that either is owned by SquareEnix, and they're produced by different studios (FMA is BONES, Chrno Crusade is Gonzo).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4