• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chrono Crusade (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Quote:
2. This is just a curiosity question: is there a connection between Chrono Crusade and Full Metal Alchemist? The artwork and expressions look very similar.

i think they both owned by SquareEnix and/pr make by the same studio.

I think you're confusing Chrono Crusade with Chrono Trigger. Both are completely unrelated.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:
1. When I watched the dub trailer, it was presented as extremely cheesy. Does it have more originality than portrayed, or is that just the dub?

Chrono Crusade is more light-hearted and madcap at first, although there's always a darker edge to it. As the series progresses the darker side gradually becomes more prevalent, until by the fifth volume or so it's virtually completely serious. It is campy and cheesy at times, muddles a lot with with foreign historical context (something which the dub greatly improves upon), and isn't the greatest example of anime writing. But it isn't bad, either, and does have more depth than it initially appears to have. The ending is well-recognized as a tear-jerker.

Quote:
2. This is just a curiosity question: is there a connection between Chrono Crusade and Full Metal Alchemist? The artwork and expressions look very similar.

Artistic styles are somewhat similar, but overall it's a very different and completely unrelated series.

Quote:
3. Does ~romance~ play that big a part in this series? I prefer no more than in Fruits Basket. If you've seen it, using FB would be a helpful comparison!

Not really, and it bears absolutely no comparison to FB.

Quote:
4. How did you feel about this series in general? Was it amazing? How well-developed were the characters?

Main characters are well-developed but none are strikingly fresh or original, and supporting characters are typically quite generic. I reviewed two different volumes of it and gave it a B overall grade both times.

Quote:
5. Finally, if pushed to decide, does this series rely more on comedy or drama? After seeing the trailer, it looks quite light-hearted and humorous. When I viewed a short AMV, however, it was quite angst-ridden. Confused Does it just jump from one to another like that?

It tries to hook you with the comedy to sucker a viewer into the drama, which is what it ultimately relies on more. It does become quite angst-ridden in its later stages, but that doesn't keep it from having a quite powerful dramatic climax (which follows about half an episode after the action climax).

As for other matters, the American release invariably has excellent extras, some of which help clarify plot points, slang terms, and historical context. I liked the dub quite a bit, as Greg Ayres is perfectly-cast as Chrono and Hilary Haag is a natural fit as Rossette; if you've liked her work elsewhere, you'll like it here (and likewise, if you hated her work elsewhere, you'll hate it here). The script stays tight except for its infusion of period slang, which the original Japanese dub didn't use at all but should have.

Last edited by Key on Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ragg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
IMHO I felt this is the best anime I've watched yet. I just finished today while I was painting my house, and I can tell you that you'll probably like the series. I found that the comedy in it was that to give you some laughs, and does not revolve around it. The drama to me was just enough, and the character development was all around great. Lastly, there isn't really any romance. Although I haven't seen that much anime yet (just naruto, bleach, s-cry-ed, etc..) I felt that this should be one of the top anime made. I mean I registered today just to give my 2 cents about this series Very Happy .
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
1. The trailer is really bad. I hate ADV trailers, especially the ones with the voice over. It reminds me of the "Guess who is back" Famoffu trailer. I ended up watching Chrono subbed since the original voices worked for me although I believe the ENglish track is in 5.1.

2. I would agree that they do share a similar style. They both teeter between the serious and the ridiculous. Fullmetal has Square Enix as part of their copyright, I'm pretty sure Chrono Crusade doesn't

3. Am I the only one who thinks there is very strong romance aspect to the show? It isn't obvious or as heavy handed as most shows, but it is there. spoiler[especially when we ssee Chrono's flashback seens. They are so heart breaking.]

4. I didn't think I would like the series at first. I actually gave up on it after volume one when it first came out. Eventually I collected the other volumes (7 volumes for 24 episodes I usually expect at least an average of 4 per disc) and watched the series. The second half seems much stronger to me. The last DVD might even be considered amazing.

5. Sorry, I don't watch AMVs. Once again it's like Fullmetal in that regard. I remember that it was being released by ADV at the same time as Peacemaker which had a really dark trailer, and turned out to also flip between the two styles. It really is hard to categorize these shows which seem to be creating a category for themselves.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I doubt that either is owned by SquareEnix, and they're produced by different studios (FMA is BONES, Chrno Crusade is Gonzo).

yeah, i think i confuced Chrono Crusade with Chrono Trigger
,but SE owns the right to everything FMA. FMA manga was first serialized in Monthly Shonen Gangan, a SquareEnix magazine.
ShadowGod93

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Well i just got done with the show and i got 2 theorys to the next seson if there is one. spoiler[ rosette and chrono died when they saved the world so don't you think that god would repay them by making them angels and sending them down to earth to keep the peace. or the demons where in a pinch too so wouldn't satan and god repay them both (satan with chrono and god with rosette by letting them be together and be reborn as chrono as the humen and rosette as the demon to put in a twist.]

well thats what i think.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Siamese927 wrote:
"Will there be a sequel to the Anime or manga series Chrno Crusade?"

How can there be one if the main character dies? New characters, perhaps? Nah. That's cheesy.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quote
The last episode saved this series from being another forgettable series for me. I almost always love it (hated the last episode of Gundam 08th) when the last episode takes place after a period of time has passed and the audience is filled in on what happened during the missing time. The last episode of Gankutsuou also really worked for me along with the epilogues for Nadia and Fullmetal.

The other thing about Chrono Crusade is that like Reflections there is something about spoiler[ having characters so powerful that the only enemy that can defeat them are natural causes really works for me.] This makes the characters that much more human and also legendary. spoiler[There is also something peaceful and romantic about leaving the world like Kenshin, or Chrono did with there loved ones at their sides instead of in combat.] Might not work for everyone, but I like it.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
The other thing about Chrono Crusade is that like Reflections there is something about spoiler[ having characters so powerful that the only enemy that can defeat them are natural causes really works for me.] This makes the characters that much more human and also legendary. spoiler[There is also something peaceful and romantic about leaving the world like Kenshin, or Chrono did with there loved ones at their sides instead of in combat.] Might not work for everyone, but I like it.

Two things: firstly, to whom does the first spoiler refer, and what qualifies as "defeat"? Secondly, [sarcasm] thanks for dumping that Kenshin spoiler into the topic without appropriate warning. [/sarcasm]
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
This is why I mentioned Reflections outside of the spoiler tag. This is also why I use the word defeat which is ambiguous (but applies to both series) in the spoiler tags. This is also why I have the spoilers broken into two spoiler tags, the second which clarifies the first spoiler tag in case the first one was read by accident! What more do you want?
Hokum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:16 am Reply with quote
I hear it ends differently?
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:19 am Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
Siamese927 wrote:
"Will there be a sequel to the Anime or manga series Chrno Crusade?"

How can there be one if the main character dies? New characters, perhaps? Nah. That's cheesy.

Anything that has something to do with people being brought back to life is either cheesy or creepy.

The ending is fine the way it is. Sure it's a bit sad, I also got teary eyed when it ended like that because spoiler[I kept thinking that Rosette worked so hard to reunite with her brother, and when that chance finally came, she had to die.] but when I think about it, if it didn't end that way, I probably wouldn't like it as much. That ending gave me the opportunity to reflect on what happened at the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Hokum wrote:
I hear it ends differently?

Are you talking about the manga? I believe so seeing as how I believe that the manga was still on going when the series was being animated, although don't hold me to that.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure whether the manga was finished or not, but the anime and manga diverge around the time they fight the spiderlady demon. After that, there is little in common. In both cases, Rosette and friends spoiler[go to the carnival and meet up with Joshua and Aion] but even that happens and plays out much differently. And Father Remington spoiler[ was an angel in anime but in the manga he just had demon cells injected into him or something, I don't remember exactly].
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Chrono Crusade's ending. spoiler[It made me cry a bit, but it was very satisfying and beautiful at the same time. The sunset scene was just executed perfectly.]

Oh, and here's something interesting: spoiler[Rosette's Tombstone says that she died in 1928. (the time that series starts out in) However, episode 12 was a Christmas episode, and the Magdalan Order took 6 months to look for Rosette and Chrono. Wouldn't that mean that Rosette really died in 1929, not 1928? o_O]

As for whether Aion is spoiler[Satan, or not, no. Pandemonium is actually Lucifer/Satan. Aion is supposedly an Antichrist. That would mean that he was either an embodiment of evil or someone who tried to take the place of Christ. Aion fits both categories.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4