• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that it was good that at the end Takaya brought about spoiler[all the characters from the Zodiac, so we at least got to see everybody one last time.] Still, I think Takaya ended the whole Kyo/Kagura saga on a good note, as Kagura spoiler[still had her Kyo in her dreams to the end. ]So, it's getting onto Friday around the world, I can't wait to see who's next for our discussions!
murph76

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
And the next topic is -- Akito and Yuki.

spoiler[Tormentor and tormented. Yuki bore the brunt of Akito's wrath during their younger years, forced to stay in that black-painted room and endure Akito's words of anger and madness. I think it must have been Akira's death that sent Akito over the edge, because Yuki clearly remembers her just snapping. I don't think her reasons were ever explained in the manga, but she's at about the right age when her father died. And her mother's been a crazy from the start, so that was a factor too. Akito gave Yuki many of the emotional wounds he carries until he meets Tohru. On Akito's end, her position as god makes her think she can treat the zodiac like dirt and they'll love her for it. However, the "special relationship" god had with the rat makes her fixate on Yuki.]

I look forward to your comments and hope I can be around more this week to participate.

-Murph
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
You know, I have to admit that I have never understood what exactly the "special relationship" really is between God and the Rat. Or is that "relationship" a symptom of Akito's madness?
murph76

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
You know, I have to admit that I have never understood what exactly the "special relationship" really is between God and the Rat. Or is that "relationship" a symptom of Akito's madness?

That's a good question. I just remember the maids and Yuki's parents mentioning it. Does it have something to do with the fable? I think the rat was the first one at the banquet, or at least was at the front of the pack in Takaya-sensei's drawing in the first volume.

Edit: In checking Wiki for an answer to the "special relationship," I stumbled across a reason for Akito spoiler[snapping that makes more sense: Kureno's curse was broken. That makes more sense to be because Akito realized that if the curse could be broken, she might one day no longer be god.]

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
Let's just face it, Yuki was with Akito at spoiler[the wrong time. His mother placing him in the care of Akito really didn't help either, so he had nobody to turn to. ]I'll have to explain more, because now I'm being pestered to get off the computer. Cheers!
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote
As Akito once put it, the Rat, being the first of the Zodiac, is simply the one "closest to God." It makes sense, really. Yuki is talented and blessed at anything he puts his hand to, and the antithesis to that, Kyo, the cat, suffers and fails at anything he associates himself with. That's the best I can figure it.

I think once spoiler[Yuki is in a position where he doesn't have to cling to anyone anymore, not even Tohru, he's less influenced by Akito's power over him. Part of this is the curse weakening, but what causes it to weaken? Given that Yuki (and Kyo) go through the most radical change of all the Zodiac, I think that freedom to live one's own life under one's own power is what makes him free to leave Akito and forgive him. His feelings don't even change when Akito hits him across the face with a vase.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
A reason that people paired Akito and Yuki together would be because of spoiler[the legend. The rat rode the cow to be the first to arrive at the banquet. Things seemed all going well with the two, although Yuki did see at a time Akito being held by Shigure. Yuki was also finding himself isolated from the other Zodiacs, and going to school elsewhere. I think there were quite a few factors for Akito snapping, and they've pretty much been mentioned. Kureno being released, and her father Akira dying.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote
But I always thought that if it was the rat to first come god then of course there would be a relationship between them. What shocked me when pieces of Yuki's past were shown were those scenes spoiler[when Akito snapped at Yuki. I understand that Akito was at the time very influenced by all the events that were taking place in her life, but nonetheless I think that it was horrible what she said to Yuki. Not only did she tell him that he was unwanted by his family (all true, taking into consideration that at the time not even Ayame was interested by his own brother) and that all the other juunishi hate him (not hate him, but being so far away from them unknown) but also that he must be grateful that Akito took him under his wing. And that started from a simple coughing. Rolling Eyes ]

And then all those words about spoiler[death. Strangely enough it was Haru that saved him by asking Shgure to take Yuki in his house and then the road to freedom began for him. But I think that it took an awful lot of time for him to understand that he wasn't guilty for something, he just happened to be in a wrong sort of circumstances at a very wrong time. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, spoiler[the cough. Akito would get upset about it when it would happen, and then when things were going bad for Yuki, then the cough got worse. Yuki you could say was in a weak physical state, and therefore that was a constant. And when he got sick then Akito would be talking to him,] like you said aya_honda, about spoiler[him dying. But while it was all going on, he did have people looking out for him to get him out of the dungeon of the Sohma House.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Yes, people started to get close to Yuki in spite of Akito through the strangest ways possible. I mean, I'm referring here to spoiler[Isuzu for instance who would come to see Yuki just because she was protecting Haru and she wanted to be there with him. If this meant that she had to get close to Yuki too, than so be it. And Haru, doing that compromise to call Shigure sensei. I don't know if Gure-nii ever trully meant it but to Haru it meant serious bussiness. ]

Akito enjoyed very much being a spoiler[god to the other juunishi but I always had the impression that she enjoyed more being Yuki's god. It seemed to me that as long as Akito felt like she had the control over Yuki, she had the control on everybody else. And even after his moving from the Sohma house she wanted to control his life and she made it clear a number of times that it would be very difficult to step away from her influence. She made her presence in his life even after the leaving.]
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:

Akito enjoyed very much being a spoiler[god to the other juunishi but I always had the impression that she enjoyed more being Yuki's god. It seemed to me that as long as Akito felt like she had the control over Yuki, she had the control on everybody else. And even after his moving from the Sohma house she wanted to control his life and she made it clear a number of times that it would be very difficult to step away from her influence. She made her presence in his life even after the leaving.]

It may be true . I think it was similar to Kyo's situation, juunishi 'liked' the fact that Kyo's life was more screwed up than theirs. Akito might have felt this kind of feeling, too. As Yuki also was rejected by his mother but unlike her, he was rejected entirely, by all immediate family.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
I would say spoiler[control for Akito was important, especially during that time, because Akira had died and Ren was vying for control within the Sohma Household. So in a way, there was an internal split within the House. Obviously it was Akito versus Ren, their various maids and servants supporting them, and you also get the Zodiacs caught in the middle of it all. In a way Ren might have known that the curse was breaking as well.]
murph76

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
From time to time, someone around here mentions how a psychotherapist might benefit the Furuba cast. I can definitely see that in Akito.

When spoiler[she went from a fairly normal girl to an angry, violent person, I can't believe no one noticed the change and tried to get some kind of help for her. Yes, it would be difficult to find someone because of the Juunishi's curse and secret, but surely someone from "inside" was qualified to help. I credit this partly to Kureno's curse breaking, because Akito wanted to keep it a secret. She couldn't tell anyone what was bothering her because that would involve telling someone the curse was breaking, and that meant losing control.]

-Murph
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to talking about someone other than Akito. Not my favorite character. I've always felt that spoiler[her actions toward Yuki were born out of a desire to make the curse stronger. Yuki, being the rat, clearly has the closest connection to "god" right? By making him psychologically incapable of seeing himself as anything important, Akito could utterly control Yuki's destiny.]
murph76

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I've always felt that spoiler[her actions toward Yuki were born out of a desire to make the curse stronger. Yuki, being the rat, clearly has the closest connection to "god" right? By making him psychologically incapable of seeing himself as anything important, Akito could utterly control Yuki's destiny.]

That's a good point. Akito spoiler[is definitely trying to strengthen the Zodiac's bond, and not just with Yuki. She feels the Zodiac belongs to her, because she's god, and she can do whatever she wants. She's also failing miserably at it. Partly because of Tohru but more so because she's a violent loon most of the time. The older Juunishi tolerate her, the younger ones fear her. The only one who truly loves her is Shigure, and even he doesn't want the present Akito as his bride.]

-Murph
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 132 of 170