• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to Hatsuharu week, ladies and gentlemen! Amazing what you can learn from this character, he may seem a bit slow and stuff, but don't get on his bad side! Twisted Evil

Characters related to Hatsuharu:
- Rin
- Yuki
- Kyo
- Tohru
- Shigure
- Momiji
- Kisa
- Hiro
- Akito

spoiler[A young at heart person, but very caring and deticated to those that he cares about. Especially Rin and Yuki, since they are the loves of his life (Yuki his first love, FOR REAL!! Laughing ). Sometimes you might get the feeling that he's insensitive to things being said around him, but when you get to know the character, that for sure is not the case. And without him, Yuki would have been completely broken down mentally. Hatsuharu in saving Yuki also sacrificed his own standing towards Shigure by calling him "sensei" throughout the entire series (though Shigure's condition was actually a joke on his part, but Hatsuharu honored it because Shigure actually took Yuki away from the Sohma household). Hatsuharu's ties to Kisa are also interesting, seeing how he went to look for her when she went missing. And to see him get mad when he's not Black Haru means he's actually worried and cares. ]

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
My favorite scene with Haru, so far, is the one where he defends Momiji's choice of school apparel, the girl's uniform. It was just absolutely WONDERFUL how he managed to twist everything about, getting the school president to imagine Yuki in a dress and getting the 2 girl flunkies to imagine Momiji, older and in a proper uniform. Then, of course, proving his true hair color which poor Tohru couldn't understand HOW he could prove it.

My next favorite was when we first see him: duster, goggles, earring, hair and just looking too cool. Fan-girl squees when he turns and gets on his...bicycle and pedals off, bell ringing. Laughing Laughing Just too much fun!

spoiler[And you're right, when he is angry but not Black Haru, you know that he cares very much and that is evidenced by his reaction to Kisa's running away and learning about her being bullied not to mention his reaction to Kisa's Teacher's letter.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
It's funny how spoiler[when Tohru's class was doing the running and Kyo and YUki were having a race, Hatsuharu tripped Kyo with a rope so that he fell flat on his face, and then Hatsuharu says to the reader: "All you good kids must not try this at home" Laughing Thing is nobody is going to fall flat on their face though.] Another thing about Hatsuharu, is that he spoiler[is in a way to Yuki like Hatori is to Ayame. Where they are the same is that Hatsuharu will say the right things that Yuki needs to or likes to hear. That runs the same with Hatori and Ayame.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
Sorry guys for missing for a while but my exams are killing me... Rolling Eyes

Haru...Sweet Haru... Definetly one of the characters that I loved and admire.spoiler[ Black Haru, white Haru.. it didn't matter cause he was very interesting anyway. I think that in spite of being introduced to Haru from an early stage I didn't pay so much attention to him until one episode occurs: Rin told him that he didn't want to be with him anymore (we all know why Crying or Very sad ) and he is at school. He is very pissed off and he wants to prove that it's time to make something about it so all that he can do is destroy the school property. When Yuki, Kyo and Tohru come to see what has happened with him, he picks on Tohru but Kyo intervenes and they are about to get into a fight when Mayu comes and throws water on both of them. I think that first the first time I didn't see Haru anymore as a character without any worry in the world. Plus he really seemed evil in that episode. ]

Yuki and Haru... spoiler[ I often saw these two as being really weird but most definetly Haru has been one of the characters that supported Yuki and probably the one that actually initiated a new process of healing for his friend. He is always taking care of him; I also remember that Haru was the one that called Hatori to take Ayame when Yuki's bro showed up unexpectedly (typically for him) Wink ]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
Yuki and Haru... spoiler[ I often saw these two as being really weird but most definetly Haru has been one of the characters that supported Yuki and probably the one that actually initiated a new process of healing for his friend. He is always taking care of him; I also remember that Haru was the one that called Hatori to take Ayame when Yuki's bro showed up unexpectedly (typically for him) Wink ]

fighterholic wrtoe
Quote:
Another thing about Hatsuharu, is that he spoiler[is in a way to Yuki like Hatori is to Ayame. Where they are the same is that Hatsuharu will say the right things that Yuki needs to or likes to hear. That runs the same with Hatori and Ayame.]

So what you are both saying is that Haru spoiler[is a stablizing or grounding force for Yuki. Haru keeps Yuki's emotions from going into overload? Sort of like when Aya is getting over-dramatic, Hatori says "let's go home" and Aya semi-quietly follows.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Well Yuki spoiler[has needed A LOT of support to get him back up on his feet after the way Akito was treating him (I believe that story is in volume 16, that's why things seem a little, "engaged", LydiaDianne?). Hatsuharu was one of the ground breakers to help Yuki out, if not the first. It's like Haru just knows what goes on in Yuki's mind.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

So what you are both saying is that Haru spoiler[is a stablizing or grounding force for Yuki. Haru keeps Yuki's emotions from going into overload? Sort of like when Aya is getting over-dramatic, Hatori says "let's go home" and Aya semi-quietly follows.]

Most certainly, Haru knows much about Yuki. spoiler[ I think that he is actually one of the few people who truly know or guess what is happening with him. For instance he knew how he would react if Tohru would talk with him using a term of endearment. But still I wouldn't compare Haru for Yuki with Hatori for Ayame. Haru just knows what to say to Yuki when he feels down or when he needs to hear something funny just to take his thoughts somewhere else. Even if it's just a stupid joke...]

I am more curious about spoiler[Haru's relation with Kyo. I sometimes thought that practically it's the same thing between them just like between Kyo and Yuki without the hate part. It wasn't just the rope incident which was mentioned before but also some other small incidents such as the one at the beach house when Haru wanted to have a swimming contest and Kyo didn't want to participate but when hearing about Yuki joining in, then he gladly accepts. And Haru predicted all that. I think that Haru has an advantage: in spite of the appearances, I think that he is one of the few characters who seem able to see beyond the appearances and sometimes even guessing people's feelings.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I just wonder about spoiler[some of the Zodiac's interactions with Kyo when he was younger. Kagura was one, and it was made obvious that Haru was another, seeing as how Kyo had to show Haru the way to the restroom at times. Haru does seem interested in being in competition with Kyo, but he probably doesn't get enough of it because Kyo has his sights set on Yuki.]

I wonder also, spoiler[what bore Black Haru? A combination of things would come to mind. People making fun of him for being the cow when he was younger. Rin's parents' treatment of Rin. Akito. Akito's treatment of Yuki. Or could it just have been something else that developed over time? I don't think I would know the answer straight off.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:00 am Reply with quote
Definetly spoiler[Black Haru is not some one to mess with. He seems to be forgetting about the gentle and kind Haru and just being violent. He is shown relatively in this state for a few times in manga but nonetheless I think that primarily it all started when in his childhood when he was considered stupid due to his relation with the mouse. I think that what triggers his Black Haru personality would be the things that hurt him the most. He likes very much the persons that he is surrounded by (especially the jyuuunishi) and therefore when he sees pain or when he himself is suffering then a new set of feelings appear to him and this might make him transform himself into this other guy who's not as gentle as he might seem.]

I never understood exactly another thing: spoiler[what was exactly his relationship with Akito?! Akito used to make fun of him being the cow who was tricked by the mouse and in the beginning this made Haru hate Yuki for this. But after Yuki's key words (something like you're not stupid, are you?) most definetly Akito lost the war and Haru turned against her. In spite of the things that were going on the Sohma house, he has succeeded in staying with Yuki when no one else dared due to Akito's interdictions; then he convinced Shigure to take Yuki in his household and even wanted to fight with Rin's parents. ]For me, all this proved that Haru has a more initiative of action than many other zodiacs who are older then him.spoiler[ Nonetheless, when he found out what Akito did to Rin he steeped in and said that if he won't kill Akito, he will kill himself; it was a bit dramatic but I think it best explained his pain and his suffering of not understanding Rin's suffering and intentions. And at that point I truly admired Haru for taking a stand and be one of the few who actually dared to face Akito, though as I said before he was much more younger then some of the zodiacs.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I think spoiler[besides Yuki and Shigure, Haru was on the same level as the other male Zodiac members, that she wanted to keep close so that the ZOdiac would stay perfect. Should there be any straying by any of the Zodiac, the bond would start to crumble, though that had already started. ]
Haru, I believe, spoiler[was ignorant to the fact that he was endangering Rin when they first started their relationship. And only after he found out it was Akito that he finally realized what he had done to Rin. She went on this journey alone to try and find the curse, and when she thought all was done, she got tricked by Ren to try and take Akito's box, which Akito put Rin into the Nekotsuki for. Haru, if you exclude Shigure, is probably the only member of the Zodiac to stand up to Akito like he did. And obviously all sorts of revelations are caused by this, but Haru finally found Rin and told her to come home.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
And this takes us to the most important person in his life namely Rin. spoiler[ I think their story is one of the most interesting and well developed love stories in the manga. I think that they were bound to be together since in one way or the other they are so weird sometimes. I never thought at the possibility to see Haru with some one other than Rin. The chemistry that existed between these characters always made me feel the goose bumps but still I would also say that they have one of the most dramatic and sad stories as well. Like you said, Haru didn't know that by being loving and caring towards Rin he actually helps in increase the torment for her. Maybe he might have noticed this but only subconsciously as himself admits. I think that in a way his love started from the terrible wish of protecting Rin from everything bad that might occur like her relationship with her parents. ]

Damn, I'll finish this later cause I'm just so tired. Rolling Eyes
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
That in spoiler[while thinking he was protecting her, he wasn't. On the one end, their relationship being mutual was on the good end. Then their relationship got intimate, and then it went downhill from there. I don't know how in the world that Akito was able to find out about it, because I'm sure neither of them talked about it, so I just wonder. Anyway, Rin couldn't deny it, and thinking that it was her fault and responsibility (and showing her love towards Haru), admitted it was her and she be blamed for it. Bad mistake, though it probably would have come anyway, and Haru might have ended up like the Hatori incident. Things might have turned out differently if Haru had been there also. So Akito pushed Rin out of the window from the second floor, with RIn deciding that she should find out the way to lift the curse for her beloved Haru. This I think proves her affection for him, which he could not understand until he found out the truth. And when he did, he proved HIS affection for Rin.]
missyqueen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
Another Character related to Haruspoiler[is Kazuma. Black Haru emerged near the same time he started taking martial arts. Also Kazuma must be a very trusted person to Haru since it was Kazuma that Haru went to to help Rin. I also think Kazuma was probably one of the first adults not to consider Haru stupid or an idiot.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I think that spoiler[ Haru loved Rin very much and therefore, just like you said, fighterholic, it was impossible for him to see that he was hurting her. I always thought that Akito was horrible with poor Haru making him think that he was worthless while at the same time she made Rin's life a living hell. Even so, when Hiro told him the truth and what was actually going on I admired his courage of going against Akito and even search for some revenge. Btw, another character realted to Haru might be even Kureno... He was the one that told him where Rin is and that it was better for him to just leave and never return. Practically we might say that Kureno was the one that solved the situation in a way for both Haru and Rin. In the mean time, it was proved that Haru was finally able to act on his own and prove to all the others that he is really able to be Black Haru.]

I can't remember much about his relation with Kazuma, but giving the fact that spoiler[ Kazuma is the one that takes in all the unfortunate cases and gives confidence to everybody, I was not surprised to see him back then in the hospital incident when Haru accused Rin's parents of being heartless and that they need to apologise to her. Kazuma is the one of the few people who play the role of the rescuer in this manga. And Haru himself is a sort of rescuer.] He was Rin's hero in the end.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
An interesting point when spoiler[it comes to Haru and Kazuma. In a way, you guys are right, that Kazuma helped Haru out so that Black Haru would not come out as often, and that he took Rin in after all the troubles that went on with Rin, Haru and Akito, so to speak. There was only one moment of interaction between Kureno and Haru, that being Haru's incident with Akito and the conversation thereafter. Had it not been for Kureno's intervening to save Rin from the Nekotsuki as well saying what he needed to say Haru, the situation could have come out a lot worse.]
I just loved it though when spoiler[Haru stormed into Akito's room, and the old lady was yelling, "What are you doing?! You can just come in like this!" While Haru's quick response with this look in his eye was, "Shut up. Back off hag."] Cool That was probably one of the coolest things I could ever hear him say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 37 of 170