• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote
I got Vol. 16 yesterday and read it. The story of spoiler[Kyoko and Katsuya was beautiful and sad. Katsuya was a solid person which was what Kyoko needed since she obviously wasn't getting that from her own parents. God, most of the parents suck in this series!]

I like how spoiler[she admitted that she did handle things wrong. From her acting out to how she reacted when Katsuya died and she realized that she'd left Tohru alone. "I always have to screw up once. That's the only way I learn." But, she's never screwed up so badly that it truly cost someone that much. At least in my opinion.]

What I didn't get, or will that be explained in a later volume, spoiler[how did Kyo and Kyoko run into each other?]

Back on topic:

I'm enjoying how Yuki and Kakeru are developing their friendship. Even to the point of spoiler[trying to strangle each other. (Chapter 94) Yuki really has loosed up.]

But poor Machi! spoiler[That phone call from her parent calling her a dull girl. How cruel! And her denying why she kept the maple leaf that Yuki gave her. Saying that she wasn't taking care of it because she turned it into a bookmark and was throwing it in books. "What does the world look like through your eyes?" Good line Yuki. I think that he's really seeing that others may have it worse than he does. And that he understands where Machi is coming from.]

And then there's that B**** Akito spoiler[ in Chapter 95. Yuki returned to the Sohma estate for New Year's and is sitting with Akito and she see his eyes and realizes that his eyes look like Kureno's and that she's losing, or has lost, Yuki. Not completely but it coming. Plus the fact of Yuki saying that it's not anyone's fault and apologizing to Akito and Hatori for blaming them.]

EXCELLENT volume. Can't wait for #17...which isn't even in TRSI website yet... Crying or Very sad
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Volume 17 will have a lot going for it, hopefully enough to get it onto the Booklist and for it to stay there for a while. spoiler[How Kyo and Kyoko met will get explained later, I think it's volume 21, because it happens before Tohru's incident.]

If anything, it would have been interesting to see how Kakeru would have taken it if he found out that Yuki was cursed. He probably would have tried to squash him Laughing
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:20 am Reply with quote
I think that I would have liked to see Kakeru discovering that Yuki is cursed. Otyher than the practical jokes that he would have done, he would have also had the big picture and why Yuki has turned out to be the way he is. Laughing

On the other hand I like Kakeru's manner to spoiler[ handle things. Sometimes it's best to see the world like that. I think that in a way this helped him in seeing the world through Komaki's eyes and at the same time to be the guy he is. Including, if I'm not mistaken to fight with his future mother-in-law. I think it's after Yuki's first visit at their place. She was angry that Kakeru didn't introduce Yuki to her too. ] Rolling Eyes Laughing
cerulean88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:25 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
If anything, it would have been interesting to see how Kakeru would have taken it if he found out that Yuki was cursed. He probably would have tried to squash him Laughing

aaa yes but i think Kakeru would be like squishing and teasing Yuki even more if he did find out about his curse before Anime hyper i can already imagine as to how he'll piss Yuki off Laughing but he surely won't stop being his friend or anything =)

spoiler[when Kakeru was first introduced into the series, my view of him is just this goofball that doesn't do anything but just acting and being silly =p but as with each apperance, my opinion begins to change especially when we found out about his girlfriend Komaki and the tragedy that she faced, intertwined with Tohru, i begin to respect this character much more =)]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was interesting when the series was coming to a close, and spoiler[Yuki was talking with Kakeru and Komaki. Komaki asked both of them whether they were worried about not getting accepted to college or not, and they both said no. Kakeru had thought about finishing high school and then taking over his future mother-in-law's business, but I guess meeting up with Yuki and all changed his mind to find his potential. So Kakeru made an impact, but also was impacted. Especially dealing with Tohru and Machi too.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I also just got Volume 16 today (In addition to Volume 17 of Hana Kimi and the Tweleve Kingdoms novel)! I am really tempted to read it all right now, but I have work and then some schoolwork as well... Hopefully I can get to it tonight and share my thoughts with you all later!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote
No doubt, fighterholic, it was impossible for Kakeru not to be changed in some way by Yuki too. spoiler[What I loved about that part was the way in which Machi reacted to Kakeru's cometaries. If I'm not mistaken she threw the meat at him while Komaki was worried about the meat and not about what Kakeru might get from Machi. Laughing ]

Kakeru might have also had some intuitions aboutwhat might happen between Machi and Yuki, because he was always open about her problems and about what happened that made her like that. spoiler[By telling to Yuki Machi's story, Yuki also understood how to behave and somehow to understand, even if just a little, poor Machi especially when she said that she doesn't see Yuki as a prince at all and that he is a lonely person.].
Ningensei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just read Volume 16 last night, and I loved it. Now I will have to wait for Volume 17...in August! Why?! Ahem...

I loved the chapter on the back story ofspoiler[ Kyoko and Katsuya. Though I am curious when and how Kyo met Kyoko and why he isn't telling Tohru, I can wait for it to be explained in later volumes.] I am glad that we got to see more of spoiler[Kyoko's past, especially showing how fragile and vulnerable she was, which is quite a departure on what has been revealed on her so far in the series. She is always described as strong, confident, unwavering, and full of love so it is nice to see this other side of her and how Katsuya brought out all those positive qualities. Also, we finally get to meet Katsuya! He sure is handsome and looks like and older Kyo, haha, which is what Takaya-sensei wrote in her notes!]

I also really enjoyed the chapter with spoiler[the student council and how we got to see the relationship between Machi and Yuki develop. I think it is apparent from this volume how Machi feels about him, especially when she got all flustered over Yuki finding out she kept his red maple leaf! ]

And not to forget about Kakeru, since it is his week, spoiler[I really loved the dynamic he has with Yuki and it shows how comfortable and natural they are around each other, especially with the comedic/jokingly antagonistic "quarrels" they have. (LydiaDianne, I also loved the strangling part...too funny). ] I think Kakeru knows spoiler[how Machi feels about Yuki, because at the end of the chapter when Yuki deduces that Machi likes red because of the maple leaf and her ribbon, Kakeru says "Machi likes RED" with his arm over Yuki and I think he is making a reference to Yuki because he is the "Red" of the group, which is the leader's color.]

The whole New Year's set up chapter is interesting. I'm looking forward to more spoiler[Kyo/Tohru dynamic and also Kureno's reaction when he sees Arisa on the DVD. I want them to be together! Embarassed I also was surprised at seeing Yuki apologize to Akito and Hatori, but it just goes to show how he is changing as a person and moving on, which I don't think Akito could accept, which is why he got violent.] I also thought it ended on a quite touching note of spoiler[Tohru and Kyto talking about New Year's wishes, not to mention the scene with Hatsuharu and Rin!]

Well, this has turned into quite a long post! I'm sorry I couldn't resist! Embarassed I think I should stop now!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Yuki spoiler[seeing that Machi kept the leaf he gave him, I saw potential for them to develop a relationship from that, though kind of off to a rough start since she was trying to force it back into his hand. And then Kakeru showed up and he had this funny look on his face while Yuki and Machi are serious about the situation.]

Kakeru's week is coming to a close, but not officially until tomorrow night. However, this hint for the next character is going to blow everybody's minds, and I think that we're going to crazy over this one. Hope nobody has trouble.

Hint: spoiler[God]
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow, spoiler[Akito.]

I imagine LydiaDianne will have much to say about her, though I wonder how much of it will be "fit for print," so to speak. Wink

Ningensei: I forgot spoiler[Yuki was "Red." That gives whole new meaning to Kakeru's comment. ]

A very enjoyable volume. The backstory Kyoko and more info about what's happening with Machi helped fill a few gaps for me.

I couldn't help but feel sorry for Kyo, though. He spoiler[spent the whole volume moping, more or less, trying to wish away his feelings for Tohru. I think at this point, he still fears being locked up for the rest of his life. I think part of him still wants to push Tohru away, so that she's not hurt if it happens.]

-Murph
Ningensei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm....spoiler[Akito,] huh? I think there will be a lot of discussion this upcoming week! Very Happy

murph76: I think you are right. spoiler[Kyo really was depressed this volume. I think he knows he will be locked up after high school and is resigned to that fact, so he is trying to spend his remaining time with Tohru, but not push his feelings on her. Also, he can't seem to accpet the possibility that Tohru likes him back, as he explicitly states in this volume but was hinted at the end of Volume 15, when Kyo was thinking about how Tohru reacted during the Cinderella play. I think he won't let himself think this because it would get his hopes up and he understands that he can never be with her (if things stay the way they are with the curse).]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Kyo spoiler[trying to spend time with Tohru but not trying to let her know in anyway that he likes her is so to spare her the pain of if she were to know that he would be locked up. i know that she knew about it because Akito told her at the end of volume 11, but more than likely Kyo didn't know that Tohru knew. And he denies the fact that she likes him because it would probably be more painful for the both of them.]

I am most anxious to hear what LydiaDianne will have to say about spoiler[Akito] Laughing
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
Wow, spoiler[Akito.]

I imagine LydiaDianne will have much to say about her, though I wonder how much of it will be "fit for print," so to speak. Wink

-Murph

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

I've been that bad concerning spoiler[Akito?] Sorry... Embarassed

But I must say that I'm looking forward to talking about this character, at least as far as I've gotten to know this person.
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:54 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I've been that bad concerning spoiler[Akito?] Sorry... Embarassed

You merely give a voice to what we all think about spoiler[Akito.] Very Happy I admit being surprised the first time you referred to her as "that b*tch ..." but there have been a few times I've wanted to reach into the manga and strangle her myself. (And by the way, my previous comment was just a sad attempt at humor. I hope it read that way.)

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:00 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Akito ]is most definetly a product of the genius of Takaya Natsuki. The character's personality, traits and conflicts, draw you to the character in such a way that you really feel an emotion towards the character, whether it be hatred or pitiness. My goodness we're talking so much about this character before I've even made the official announcement Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 65 of 170