• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ANN on G4's Attack of the Show: Video and Transcript

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:11 am Reply with quote
AttackoftheShow wrote:
Hey guys, didn't know if this had been posted or not, but the video from yesterday's Loop can be found here http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/blog/AOTB/post/619438/Fat_Men_in_Sailor_Moon_Costumes.html.

I thought it was a really good segment, sorry if you feel like Kevin rushed things Embarassed

Well, here's my 2 cents worth from the perspective of a first time viewer. ( Not intended to offend anyone.)

The timeframe wasn't the best for this type of discussion. Perhaps, a longer segment next time would be better with only 2 participants.

A tighter reign on this type of debate is also suggested for the future. The topics discussed "Why do fans love anime?" and "Cosplayers" could have easily been separate debate program topics imo

Also, using more neutral anime titles would be good too. Inu Yasha and Dragon Ball Z are probably titles that gamers would recognize as anime. However, titles currently popular in the mainstream consciousness also include Ghost in the Shell, One Piece, Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist and Bleach imo. These titles also have gaming components and offer a broader look at the anime spectrum. The titles that you chose to use are unfortunately referred to as kid's titles in the mainstream places that I frequent and can therefore give an unintentional bias to the proceedings imo.

Your choice of cosplay examples could have used some improvement. You should strive for more neutral examples in the future imo. More accessible examples could have been used, i.e examples that mainstream can easily recognize such as Naruto from Naruto, Ed or Al from Fullmetal Alchemist or Luffy from One Piece. These type of cosplay examples also do not give an unintentional bias to the proceedings imo.

Other than that, it's nice to see these type of discussions on TV.
MariachiDream

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote
I'm here for a few reasons.

1. to give some support to my girl Heza and 2. to talk about G4.

Heza chan is a good cosplayer, makes a magnificant Komugi chan, and she's a really sweet girl. Though I don't think her character was ever in question.

As a cosplayer, I've hated G4 since G4oria. I really wish Tech TV had remained it's own network, because I LOVED Tech TV. I won't even turn on G4 to watch Anime Invasion.

Now, for a moment, I'll put aside the fact that G4 has been disrespecting cosplayers from the beginning for a moment.

G4 does not appeal to gamers nor the geeks. I love hot woman and boobies as much as anyone else, but if the woman doesn't now what the **** she's talking about, she better shut the **** up and give the stage to someone who does.

Most of their shows about specific games are targeted to complete morons. And most of their shows seem rushed and like the people hosting don't give a crap about what they are even talking about.

What businesses like G4 don't understand is we are geeks. We don't want the models and attractive people hosting the show. We want someone who knows what they are talking about. And if that means the glasses wearing, pimple popping, suspender geeks. Then by GOD they better get them. I can watch a different channel for the glitz, not when I want to geek out.

As far as the cosplay thing goes... ever see that photo of Anna Nicole Smith in a Rikku outfit? YOU CAN BLAME THAT NIGHTMARE ON G4! One of my friends was actually called by G4 asking if Nicole could borrow her Rikku outfit for a photoshoot.

The first G4oria, they invited a bunch of cosplayers to be on the show. One girl ended up being told AT THE EVENT that she couldn't wear her Lenne costume because FFX-2 was still new, even though she's on the damned artbook. Which is fine, ther choice. But they could have told her right after she sent in her app telling them which costume she was wearing. Or.. I dunno... in the green room? They treated the cosplayers like complete shit and ended making a huge joke about it, then highlighting.. *shudders* Anna Nicole Smith.

Anywho. Just coming from a geeky chick. Sorry for typos and junk. I do that a lot. <3
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:15 am Reply with quote
HezaChan wrote:

I'm sorry if that's what you think of me. And they randomly picked me off of Cosplay.com while doing forum trolling. They asked me to be really hyper and stuff.. but I'm not gonna look like a total idiot on tv.

Props to you, I would never have enough courage to go on TV like that. Even if it was an anime-friendly channel
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:27 am Reply with quote
I might be off base here, but that entire set-up just screams, "It's a trap!" - that's right, Admiral Ahkbar style.

They got one screenwriter guy whom I've never heard of (but envy his t-shirt) and who knows nothing of anime or the fandom, one seasoned anime fan who is perhaps close to "expert" level, and one bold stand-out cosplayer.

Jon was in a trap. Anything knowledgable or reasonable he might say about anime was up for ridicule by viewers, especially those who dislike anime, because there was a big cosplayer (sorry) and a detractor on that panel. I'm sure the cosplayer wanted to add to the conversation, but all she did was represent what non-anime fans see as the "crazy anime fandom". Any point Jon could make was made a minus in the Anime score and anything that jerk said was a plus in the Anime Sucks score.

Everyone was being very patronizing to Jon and the cosplay girl, and whether they noticed it or not isn't the point - it was an obvious trap. I get a severely negative vibe from that entire piece.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
digital apocalypse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:47 am Reply with quote
i saw it. they made it too short. and the questions were dull. and they steriotyped to much. and the clips of anime shown were all mainstream stuff, dragonball z, akk!!! inuyasha, by showing those clips they made it look like kid stuff. which makes us anime fans image look worst, and brings more scrutinie by ignorent idiots who dont understand anime at all, like jon, and they'll say its kiddy stuff or smut and violence because there morons, and perreras seems like a tool. pointing out steriotypes and cliches, he's so clueless. thats why i dislike g4 now. i miss the old g4 of the begining era. it use to be about video games and proto culture. now its a piss poor spike tv rip off. with brain dead shows, male chivinistic shows, syndicated crappola, people who know nothing about video games and technology are hired to work as host just becuase their hot, or a model, and not average or nerdy. i mean most g4 host now are big titted maxim models or other shat like that, their lineup and scedule is a mix bag of junk. they dont know what they are anymore. there definitly not tv 4 gamers now. all my favorite shows were cancelled, and my favorite host were fired. and replaced by dumb supermodels and smarmy guys. and the majority of the shows now suck majorly. g4 betrayed the gamers, tech heads, and anime fans, and otaku. and now mocks us with jokes and wisecracks at are expense, screw that! sorry for that rant, i just feel angry towards g4. ever since the the new C.E.O. was hired and, since the merger between g4 and tech tv. i hate them for embaressing us fans. i hope they go back to video game progamming or if they dont, i hope they get shut down!! nobody wants crap shows like street fury, the man show, cheaters, ed the sock. fastlane and fake stupid progamming. sorry 4 the typos, i'm in a rush. i got to go to bed.
digital apocalypse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:09 am Reply with quote
and the damn poll on attack of the show , dont get me started. does anime suck? thats a little bold and up front you nimrods at g4. you coulda put do you dislike anime, or do you hate anime. but does anime suck, that seems like your purposly trying to bash and tarnish anime and it fans and the whole setup of the interview seems like g4 was trying to tarnish animes image. and try to get people to hate anime,and to get hate mail by anime fans. or as fake prepy g4 host would call you losers cause their shit for brain a-holes who dont respect me and the rest of you anime fans at all probly. and the g4 host probly know nothing about anime, except the mainstream and butchered kiddie crap, and exsumes thats all it is. because they look outside the box enough. they probly are too busy watching the o.c or simple life because their airheaded minds can take that crap in easly.
LadySage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:19 am Reply with quote
HezaChan wrote:
LadySage wrote:
Mink from Dragon Half. It was actually a fairly well-made costume, enough so that if I say her walking around at a con, I would definitely ask for a picture. HOWEVER, on a show where she is supposed to be claiming that most anime fans are relatively normal people, that particular costume was not a good choice. I get the sense they asked her to at least cosplay, though, and they really didn't give her any chance to speak or defend her fandom at all. Her purpose was really, "Look at what freaks those anime fans are lolololol"

Thank you but I'm not fat at all... -_- The camera and lighting were bad. And if you don't believe me you can visit my site to see better pictures:

http://coffeepotramen.50webs.com/mink.html

Wait, why did I just get yelled at? I complimented you. Anime cry
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:34 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I might be off base here, but that entire set-up just screams, "It's a trap!" - that's right, Admiral Ahkbar style.

They got one screenwriter guy whom I've never heard of (but envy his t-shirt) and who knows nothing of anime or the fandom, one seasoned anime fan who is perhaps close to "expert" level, and one bold stand-out cosplayer.

Jon was in a trap. Anything knowledgable or reasonable he might say about anime was up for ridicule by viewers, especially those who dislike anime, because there was a big cosplayer (sorry) and a detractor on that panel. I'm sure the cosplayer wanted to add to the conversation, but all she did was represent what non-anime fans see as the "crazy anime fandom". Any point Jon could make was made a minus in the Anime score and anything that jerk said was a plus in the Anime Sucks score.

Everyone was being very patronizing to Jon and the cosplay girl, and whether they noticed it or not isn't the point - it was an obvious trap. I get a severely negative vibe from that entire piece.

Abseloutly agree with this one, unfortunetly, The cosplay girl was used as an image of an extreme (or scary?) fan, at least from a viewer percpective. while we all know that many of extreme fans might not cosplay, and a more casual fan migh actually do and that it has nothing to do with anything in the first place.

i don't know how much of it was intentional, and how much was a misundrestanding about cosplaying, but i wouldn't tell it was a trap. That , and also the screen writer guy made a weak argument.

well, at the end ... i could care less what these people think about anime fans, its not like i have it curved on my forehead: ANIME FAN!
Quote:

But you would pick anime over any other type of animation any day, right?

as long as they are not another 3d tech show, with light story lines and comedy and if they actually have me as the target audiance, yea , why the hell should I pick anime over them? i love animation, but the north american industry started to lack sooo much after Lion King that i went out looking for animation to watch , and then found anime!
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:54 am Reply with quote
Glad I saw the posting on 4Chan before I came here.

http://orz.4chan.org/cgl/res/54846.html

God, judging by the responses here, i'm glad I didn't even bother to see it. And for god sakes, was she asked to come in the Dragon Half outfit, or was she denied dressing up as something else like her Full Moon o Sagashite cosplay?

Last edited by Abarenbo Shogun on Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
SomeVito

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:57 am Reply with quote
I don’t see why some of you guys are getting all uppity about the whole thing. I mean it was a 5-minute throw away segment on an extended cable television show. That’s not say that Jon May didn’t do a phenomenal job with the whole thing, but the whole thing will be forgotten soon.
The staff probably didn’t take the segment very seriously and I caught the same type of segment a few days earlier with the topic of “Is Myspace a suitable place to find people to hookup with?” so it’s not like it’s really asking the hard questions, or was ever really all taht serious. Also, it’s airing to an audience that is pretty much already familiar with anime and already has its own opinion on the subject. Really the whole thing won’t really have any impact on the common person’s perception of anime, but Jon May did do a good job of turning the scenario into one where anime and its fans weren’t ridiculed or scoffed at, which I believe was the intention.
digital apocalypse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:59 am Reply with quote
and also, g4 happens to go to cosplay.com to find cosplayer to be on the show. hmm pretty shady? and pick hezachan. and they force her to wear that outfit. treat her like shat. and oviously try to embarrass and humiliate her on tv. and mock anime by doing that. screw g4, why did they do that? poor hezachan. they used her for the wrong reasons. as a extra, thats not right to victimize a anime fan as a so called joke against anime. you did not derserve that. and people should realize she's normal. i know her a little bit. and she was framed by the show as being called a fanatic. and please effing stop talking crap about her, she is upset abuot this enough, its not her effing fault, no ones perfect. and not many people are beutiful as the idiot hosts at g4. including people on this forum. so dont talk shat unless your a so called hottie. which most likly nobody is on the forum is so dont say how ugly or fat people are, i dont see what you look like, so be quiet. myself by no means is good looking, but if anyone should be talked trash to. its dumbass jon gibson, kevin the prick perara. and and attack of the crappy show. i used to like attack of the show. but they changed its format, and fired kevin rose, sarah lane, and yoshi the gadget wise. and that one blond guy. cant remember his name. but now a.o.t.s. is a mish mash of feces of maximum purportions. also mays did a great job on the show. he totally pwned jon gibson!!! dont hate a anime fan whos having a hard time. unite and stop these idiots from mocking anime fans, gamers, geeks, tech heads, artist, etc. cause a crappy basic cable channal like g4 has no effing room to talk, when they play crap like cheaters, and the man show.
digital apocalypse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:12 am Reply with quote
lol, unite, jk. but just we should support each other. this is complete bullcrap g4 pulls out of its ass for controversy.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:40 am Reply with quote
digital apocalypse wrote:
and also, g4 happens to go to cosplay.com to find cosplayer to be on the show. hmm pretty shady? and pick hezachan. and they force her to wear that outfit. treat her like shat.

And there is no thread on cosplay.com about this. Odd.....
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:56 am Reply with quote
Ok after reading in later post's(mainly Hezachan's) I can see why it seemed like she was unprepared, and I apologize for saying her responses were rather weak. I am glad I don't get G4 cause if it's like you all say, I don't really want it.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:41 am Reply with quote
Hmmm Kevin saying those painted up guys at football games make him avoid them? I've seen his show and he does not know a single thing about the sport or pretty much any sport for that matter, I doubt he's even been to a game before. There's a simple solution, sit far away from the guy and just pay attention to the game if he bothers you that much.

The other guy was even more rude, he was pretty much saying anime fans are obsessive dorks and that all of them cosplay and choose anime over anything anyday. I saw it as rude because I'm just a casual anime fan and he made it appear to be that there were none. I don't cosplay but people who cosplay don't scare me away from it, I just see them as passionate about their entertainment, it's not like they're telling me to get into a costume or I'm not an anime fan and if they do say something like that, ignore those type of people it's that simple. Sure there are some pretty obsessive fans but why would I skip out on a series like Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien just because someone decided to dress up like one of the girls?

Good job Jon, too bad they didn't give you enough time to tell them there are more genres than just sci-fi and ninja-action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9