• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Duplicate tasks (revisited)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
Some time ago, there was a forum to report duplicate tasks.
I don't want to restart the discussion whether or not "Broadcaster" and "Channel" are the same, or "Audio Recording Facilities" and "Audio Studio", or "Photography" and "Camera". This can be discussed later.
After compiling duplicate companies, doc-watson42 and I launched the idea of compiling the duplicate people and tasks. It just started as a joke, but now I feel kinda proud to have managed to go through the whole list Anime catgrin + sweatdrop (with many thanks to Dan42 for providing us with the list of ANN tasks).

Now I need some feedback on what I found. I used my personal webspace to compile what I think to be duplicate tasks, just because it's too much to put directly on the forum (overload of the ANN database ! Very Happy ). On approximately 4800 task entries (3800 for staff, 1000 for companies), I've noted about 1000 (one thousand Exclamation ) that might be merged. After this, I just wished that users spent a bit more time on checking their entries before creating new jobs, new people, new companies, etc. Crying or Very sad

I like to stress that not all that's on my list has to be merged, I'm just giving possible duplicates what I feel can be cleaned up.
Also, even withing one list, there are some dubious cases. I've tried to put remarks in red for all these duplicates, so I like you to take a close look at them, before making a definite merger.

Thanks for you help.
Oh, almost forgot : the list can be found here. Comments can be posted in the forum.

Last edited by woelfie on Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Anime duplicate tasks (staff): Typo errors

Quote:
DVD Extras Design
DVD Extra's Design
Not sure if Extra's is not a correct English plural

"Extra's" is not the correct plural.

Space/spacing/hyphen differences

Quote:
Cgi director
C.G.I Director

"CGI director" would be more correct.

Quote:
Producer/Music
Music producer

In this case, I disagree—"Music producer" STM to be the more correct.
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:13 am Reply with quote
wow, doc-watson, you're fast again with your replies. Good, good.
*CGI director would indeed be more correct than Cgi director. I'll try to convince Dan to make a new entry.
*Music Producer is far better, that was a mistake from my side. I'll correct asap.
Thanks for the feedback

EDIT : Extra's removed as "not sure"; "Music producer" marked as correct entry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:56 am Reply with quote
Digging around Jan Scott-Frasier's (formerly Scott Frasier) site, I came across these three columns—plus an essay that revises and condenses the three into one—which are very pertinent to the task at hand:Revised:
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Anime duplicate tasks (staff): Typo errors

Quote:
DVD Extras Design
DVD Extra's Design
Not sure if Extra's is not a correct English plural

"Extra's" is not the correct plural.

Using " 's " to make anything plural can be considered improper at best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1