• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best World-Building Tournament: Concluded!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I think this may be my worst minigame performance ever in terms of ranking at this point in the tournament. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:25 am Reply with quote
Look at the bright side, Key, you're not last! I'm only one spot away from last, but I did have a good score this round, so maybe all hope isn't lost!
farichada

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Group D-9
Metropolis, Metropolis
vs.
Neo-Verona, Romeo x Juliet

Neo-Verona mainly because the world seems more developed and expansive than Metropolis. I have only seen Metropolis, and I feel it is somewhat weak because while the setting is very interesting, it doesn't seem to develop much beyond a cool concept while also seeming somewhat narrow in scope.

Group D-10
Kingdom of Honneamise, Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
vs.
World of Attack on Titan, Attack on Titan
vs.
Legend of GH Milky Way, Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Easily LogH Milky Way the history and culture is deeply developed to the point where it is mildly intimidating. The two incredibly warring mega powers are definitely the focus here, but there are so many mild players and settings that are equally as rich. I feel that the fact the guide doesn't mention the Iserlohn Corridor and accompanying fortress is a mistake. These settings are also developed and are very critical locations. The distinctly different spaceship where a good amount of time is spent are also different depending on who owns them and have a distinct look both on the inside and out. Everything is so meticulously detailed and developed that it feels like a complete historical documentary at times despite being obviously fictional with hard sci-fi elements that have aged surprisingly well.

Group D-11
World of Castle in the Sky, Laputa: Castle in the Sky
vs.
Japan 2113, Psycho-Pass

I've seen both and I feel that Laputa is still the stronger choice here. I feel that in Physchopass the plot and philosophical/political values play a stronger role than the setting itself. The setting is interesting. but isn't as breathtaking or as distinctly beautiful as the setting in Miyazaki's Laputa.

Group D-12
World of Spice and Wolf, Spice and Wolf
vs.
Japan 2030, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex franchise

Very tough one since Spice and Wolf does have a special place in my heart as one of my favorite anime of all time. Honestly, GitS is not far behind and is probably still one of my top 10 shows. I feel that the setting is much more developed, distinct, expansive and interesting in Japan 2030 . It's somewhat dystopic cybertechnic world feels more distinctive than the sometimes almost generic feeling fantasy towns that are the setting in S&W. I also feel that the character development and chemistry between the two central characters is why someone should watch S&W while the setting is much higher on the list to why you should watch GitS Stand Alone Complex. I do think both settings are quite strong and it pains me one of these shows to go so early. I think it really came down to the fact that Japan 2030 was nominated so late that it didn't get the nominations it deserved; both of these settings are deserving of at least the top 16 in my eyes. It really comes down that the world of GitS is far more ambitious and distinctly different that the sometimes only subtlety important low fantasy setting of Spice and Wolf, which I feel its setting is kind of also over reliant on the Holo/Horo mythology and the fact that this god exists in the flesh and is so interesting. To me, when you have two really strong settings this crutch gives Japan 2030 the edge because it has so much much more going for the setting beyond just interesting characters. It's a fully fledged view into the future while the setting of S&W just can't match the expansive nature and it also feels less developed and more generic. Lastly, the world of Japan 2030 rises a lot more profound philosophical questions of where the limits of technology should lie while the world of S&W definitely does not spark anything kind of thoughts that deep as far its world goes.

Group D-13
World of Natsume’s Book of Friends, Natsume’s Book of Friends franchise
vs.
Saubure, Gosick
vs.
Gaea, The Vision of Escaflowne (TV series)

I think people are discounting the wildly different aesthetics of Gaea, which to me don't seem to reek at all of generic fantasy plus mechs. This world strikes me as more imaginative than the seemingly run of the mill 1920s esque world of Gosick and I feel that setting of Natsume also seems too ambiguous to be seen as strong.

Group D-14
World of Pokemon, Pokemon franchise
vs.
Italy, Gunslinger Girl franchise

The world of GG is well-researched and aesthetically beautiful, but I agree in terms of actual world building there isn't that much development. World of Pokemon is almost too expansive with its huge amounts of content. The fact that the existence of pokemon practically defines the world in each possibly imaginable way is its main strength when competing against more sophisticated settings.

Group D-15
Aincard, Sword Art Online Aincard arc
vs.
Daikuuriku, Simoun

Aincard's immersive digital world is interesting, but is somewhat held back by the lack of content and the fact that there are quite jarring skips in its development at least as far the anime is concerned. At first impression the 100 floor dungeon with each level being distinctly different is brimming with exceptional possibilities. I feel the fact that we only get to see less than 15% of the floors is quite the drawback. I also feel that there were times where it was incredibly clear that was more potential than great execution. Lastly, it feels that there was a lot more depth present than what we were actually shown. The way the World of Simoun addresses its unique gender and religious circumstance is quite interesting and is explored thoroughly.

Group D-16
Glie, Haibane Renmei
vs.
Dustbin, Scrapped Princess

Glie because of how its attention to details gives the viewer an immersive experience despite the mysteries and unknowns that also seem to define its world and the series as a whole.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Group D-9
Metropolis, Metropolis
vs.
Voting for Neo-Verona, Romeo x Juliet. Seen both. Whereas several of the Miyazaki movies have an immersive quality for me Metropolis in contrast does not. While visually attractive with a good dub I found the story and setting to be less memorable. Neo-Verona may not be a top contender, but I think the ancient pact with trees and at times some distinctive visual scenery are enough to get it by Metropolis.

Group D-10
vs.
vs.
This one is a lot tougher for me. I voted for RSF last round mainly because it has a complete setting and story, even if the story is destroyed by one poorly used scene, whereas AoT felt too incomplete to give it my vote at the time. I've only seen a few episodes of LOGH and I wasn't wowed by it. In part some of the borrowing from Earth cultures was pretty hamfisted and did not feel original. A Roman type world? Well then everyone must wear togas right? Overall what little I saw came across as very stiff. However, my viewing was limited and the anime with its sequels spans something like 10 years? There's obviously time for improvement, so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for this round based on how highly its regarded by its fans. However, I'm going to need some serious convincing for it to get further after this round. Voting for Legend of GH Milky Way, Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Group D-11
vs.
Japan 2113, Psycho-Pass
Voting for World of Castle in the Sky, Laputa: Castle in the Sky. I nominated Psycho-Pass even though I'm not its biggest fan. I thought some of the setting and questions it raised were interesting enough for its inclusion to the tournament. But I can't quite get over certain parts like the big reveal at the end, which is part of the setting. I joked in the forums when the show was streaming that spoiler[the Sybil system would probably end up being a bunch of heads in Jars a la Futurama], and to my disappointment that's exactly what it was. I found the logic for creating such a system as it was problematic, and against a weak opponent I could vote for it but not here.

Group D-12
vs.
Voting for Japan 2030, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex franchise

Group D-13
vs.
Saubure, Gosick
vs.
I have seen none of these. Ok, I saw like one episode of Escaflowne years ago. I think it had a giant mech in it? I voted last round for Natsume BoF, but with some of the arguments about Gosick it left me feeling a little conflicted about the vote. So, I'm going to take the easy way out and vote for neither of the two from last round and instead vote for Gaea, The Vision of Escaflowne.

Group D-14
vs.
Voting for Italy, Gunslinger Girl franchise. Not a top contender, but it is very well researched. The level of detail from Italian food, cars, the architecture, the countryside, the institutions, the historical economic tensions between Northern and Southern Italy to the artwork on the walls of the museums all makes you feel like you are in modern Italy. Add to that mix terrorism, cyber technology, and commentary about Italian culture and GSG has enough for me to buy it one more round.

Group D-15
vs.
Daikuuriku, Simoun
Voting for Daikuuriku, Simoun. I have not seen either one, but voting for Simoun based on the interesting description.

Group D-16
Glie, Haibane Renmei
vs.
Voting for Glie, Haibane Renmei. Seen both. The setting of Haibane Renmei is more than just the town as some seem to think. It is also the details surrounding what the Haibane are and how they live. From the egg like cocoons, to dreams, to the day of flight all of these details are part of the world building. It is also told in a very natural and convincing manner. At no point do I question the validity of the setting or world no matter how both fantastic (Haibane) or mundane (gotta work for a living) it is. I totally buy into its world. In contrast, Scrapped Princess has an interesting premise, the heroine is destined to destroy the world, but I am always conscious that I'm watching a fantasy story.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:57 am Reply with quote
Group D-9
Metropolis, Metropolis
vs.

Metropolis, Metropolis

Group D-10
vs.
vs.

While I think Legend of GH Milky Way, Legend of the Galactic Heroes has some shortcomings I would rate it above RSF: TWoH which I previously voted above AoT. It's more ambitious and 110 episodes provides far greater scope than 120 minutes to flesh out a scenario.

Group D-11
vs.
Japan 2113, Psycho-Pass

One-Eye's argument against the Sibyl System reminded me that, despite its impressive vision of a possible future, Psycho-Pass does occasionally get ridiculous. That's a problem in a serious anime but not in a fanciful one like World of Castle in the Sky Laputa: Castle in the Sky.

Group D-12
vs.

Japan 2030, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex franchise. Tough one. Even though I nominated GitS:SAC I would mind if it went down to Spice & Wolf. While I think the latter has a greater variety of locales that fit nicely into the overall pseudo-European setting, GitS:SAC provides a view of the future that is at once alarming but terrifically exciting. I'd so love being able to plug my brain straight into the internet. Someone hacks it? Could be interesting. It's a much more profound vision of the world.

Group D-13
vs.
Saubure, Gosick
vs.

Sauville, Gosick but not with any great conviction. I've seen all three and all are moderately OK without being outstanding. I gave Sauville the nod previously over Natsume's Book of Friends (and provided my reasons then). I also put it ahead of Gaea, which isn't so appealing to look at. Othewise one is as contrived as the other.

Group D-14
vs.

Group D-15
vs.
Daikuuriku, Simoun

Daikuuriku, Simoun: Seen neither. Everyone being born female seems much more interesting than an MMO. Indeed, Simoun is the first anime from this tournament I haven't seen that I'm tempted to watch.

Group D-16
Glie, Haibane Renmei
vs.

Glie, Haibane Renmei
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Group D-9
Metropolis, Metropolis
vs.

Neo-Verona over Metropolis. I love the movie Metropolis, just not so much the anime movie. Also, at least Neo-Verona's not one of the many "Neo Tokyo's", it's just derived from the same naming convention. Derived, that's a word I should stay away from here while I vote for Verona with flying horses which are certainly not pegasi...

She's supposed to be the Scarlet Pimpernel, isn't she, the European Zorro with a color scheme? Why am I voting for this one again?

Group D-10
vs.
vs.

World of Attack on Titan over the rest. I love me some giant monsters, I love settings with giant monsters more, I love settings built around the monsters the most. Space Operas? Hey, I voted for Macross.

Group D-11
vs.
Japan 2113, Psycho-Pass

World of Castle in the Sky over Japan 2113. Ancient future tech making whole islands float; Like if Nadia and Eden's Bowy collided while Japan 2113 is if someone took Philip K Dick seriously? No, wait, that was the Tom Cruise movie "Minority Report". Don't know why I'd bring that one up, no clue at all...

Group D-12
vs.

World of Spice and Wolf over Japan 2030 {which is ironically more futuristic than "Japan 2113"}. Time wounds all heels, a constant source of lamentation for past Sci-Fi; It either doesn't age well or it becomes science fact with a story. Spice and Wolf had me at "fantasy economics" with its world of silver and gold; the giant wolf is just a neat bonus.

Group D-13
vs.
Saubure, Gosick
vs.

Well, named worlds are always a plus, alternative histories usually a minus. Gaea wins, I guess?

Group D-14
vs.

World of Pokémon over "Italy" with Imoutos. I'm not really a fan of a world where young people are sent out to enslave a dangerous wildlife in order to use them in proxy fights against other, oh God, really?, "Pokémon Masters" but it is a world built around that concept, even more so than the game series. Besides, the "cyborg" element of the Gunslinger Girls in "Italy" to fight regular crime and terrorism seems questionable at best, "how else would young girls have a chance?" at worst.

Group D-15
vs.
Daikuuriku, Simoun

Daikuuriku over Sword Art Online's Aincard. Whether the planet is populated with aliens or modified humans, it's still a lot more interesting than a world of Avatars stuck in a crafted MMO.

Group D-16
Glie, Haibane Renmei
vs.

Glie over Dustbin. I'm not normally a fan of ABe's stories of half formed settings {unless Titans or giant apes are outside those walls, I don't care}, I'll take it over a fantasy setting where it's Sci-Fi when convenient, but always only in certain spots, in certain ways, like having a blacksmith being equivalent to a spaceship engineer when you have to get that advanced tech working again?
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Group D-9
I think the stuff with Escalus is really silly and kind of forced, story-wise, but in terms of world-building Neo-Verona is decent. Arguments from people who have seen Metropolis also suggest that Neo-Verona is the right choice here.

Group D-10
Haven't seen any of LoGH, but I'll vote for it based on its reputation and write-up.

Group D-11
I think Castle in the Sky has some of the best world-building in the Ghibli canon. Laputa is a lovely and majestic setting with a rich history, and the aircraft and automatons are creative and interesting.

Group D-12
I love S&W, but its main strength is the relationships between the characters. GitS has a fascinating cyber-punk world with complicated politics and creative use of technology.

Group D-13
vs.
I dunno, I liked Gaea when I was watching Escaflowne for the first time a few months ago. Some of it got a bit hokey, but I thought the different countries were distinctive and the look of the world was stylish. Meanwhile, Natsume isn't a show that devotes a whole lot of time to world-building and it doesn't sound like Gosick is either.

Group D-14
Probably the strongest of this type of world. It may not be as sophisticated as some of the "older" shows in the tournament, but its world-building is detailed and all works toward a specific goal, developing a setting where Pokemon trainers can exist.

Group D-15
Daikuuriku, Simoun
Only familiar with Aincard but I'm loathe to vote for SAO and based on arguments it sounds like Daikuuriku's the one to vote for anyway.

Group D-16
Glie, Haibane Renmei
What One-Eye said, basically.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Group D-9
Metropolis, Metropolis vs.
Choosing: Metropolis
Neo-Verona is certainly a place of wonder, but it can be at times a bit too fantastical.

Group D-10
Kingdom of Honneamise, Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise vs.
World of Attack on Titan, Attack on Titan vs.
Choosing: LoGH Milky Way

Group D-11
World of Castle in the Sky, Laputa: Castle in the Sky vs.
Japan 2113, Psycho-Pass
Choosing: Japan 2113
While I feel Psycho-Pass could have addressed it's thematic and plot issues better or more fully (first half, I didn't finish the series), the world is fully realized and complex.

Group D-12
World of Spice and Wolf, Spice and Wolf vs.
Choosing: Japan 2030
I feel the setting, technology, and politics of GitS is more intrigal to the series than Spice and Wolf's. S&W isn't quite generic medieval Europe, but it doesn't really do much with the features that set it apart (various giant animal gods), and the authority and politics of the church is fairly standard and mostly just evaded.

Group D-13
World of Natsume’s Book of Friends, Natsume’s Book of Friends franchise vs.
Saubure, Gosick vs.
Choosing: Gaea

Group D-14
World of Pokemon, Pokemon franchise vs.
Choosing: World of Pokemon

Group D-15
Aincard, Sword Art Online Aincard arc vs.
Daikuuriku, Simoun
Choosing: Daikuuriku

Group D-16
Glie, Haibane Renmei vs.
Choosing: Glie
Scrapped Princess does a nice job with its world building, but Glie just feels so right. The cozy rustic town in a time period that is difficult to precisely place; the culture of the Haibane; the mystery of what lies outside the wall.
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Group D-9
Metropolis, Metropolis
vs.

Neo-Verona is tad over the top and cheesy, bur as a whole I buy into its very creative rendering of this Shakespearn classic setting. Metropolis is fine as well, but it simply doesn't feel as big or developed.

Group D-10
vs.
vs.

Legend of GH Milky Way As the nominator of this world, I am quite aware of its strengths, and I believe this round the other two do not even come close to matching it. As far as settings go, LOGH is a behemoth. It is evolving, deeply developed, markedly distinct, and setting is incredibly important, a fact highlighted by its at times psuedo documentary-esque storytelling.

Group D-11
vs.
Japan 2113, Psycho-Pass

World of Castle in the Sky because like other posters have mentioned that Japan 2113 feels too heavily influenced by similar American inspired worlds that make it too close to a copy for comfort. I also felt that the world fell too firmly into the generic. technological dystopia mold.

Group D-12
vs.

Japan 2030, but I feel that the Spice and Wolf setting was almost cheated by this early killer match up. This early "upset" pains me even more as its nominator. It is crazy that both of these worlds are not seeds. Fantasy, economics, business, and fallible gods may be somewhat novel concepts and certainly make the series great, but I feel in terms of actual strong world building they are more minor influences. Spice and Wolf succeeds as a series due to its strong writing, characters, and somewhat unique for anime subject matter and not for its deeply developed or interesting settings unlike Japan 2030.

Group D-13
vs.
Saubure, Gosick
vs.

Gaea seems a tad more distinct based on the arguments, but I am not strongly swayed by any of my options.

Group D-14
vs.

Italy mainly because the art, especially the background art is well detailed, fairly historical accurate and beautiful. Sure, there isn't much depth, but I never found this to be a strength of the Pokemon settings, which as far as art goes are painfully simplistic and utilitarian.

Group D-15
vs.
Daikuuriku, Simoun

Daikuuriku Aincard while certainly stronger than the other world in the setting feels somewhat generic compared to what appears to be a rare world that's heavily influenced by religious and gender factors.

Group D-16
Glie, Haibane Renmei
vs.

Abe does a good job of making Glie feel livable and grounded despite the fact it is a not so subtle stab at the spoiler[Judeo-Christain afterlife.] Glie while somewhat abstract in the Yoshitoshi Abe style feels more grounded and detailed than his sometimes muddled and confused half-formed settings while just as mysterious and alluring as you would expect.
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Group D-9
Metropolis, Metropolis
vs.

Neo-Verona While I have some minor issues with some of the changes in this show compared to the original play (mainly Mercrutio's character) I love the whole concept behind Neo-Verona and the original ideas in the series were very well inserted into the story and felt completely natural.

Group D-10
vs.
vs.

Legend of GH Milky Way I haven't seen the show yet, but from what I heard about the show it seems like it has a well constructed world. I really enjoyed Attack on Titan, but I don't think it should win against LOTGH because AoT's anime ends making the viewers ask questions and hasn't really answered any of them.

Group D-11
vs.
Japan 2113, Psycho-Pass

Haven't seen either, but the arguments have been stronger for World of Caslte in the Sky

Group D-12
vs.

World of Spice and Wolf I love the fact that the world building in this series occurs so naturally and never felt forced. We gradually learn more about the world through Lawrence and Holo's travels

Group D-13
vs.
Saubure, Gosick
vs.

Gaea I'm currently watching Escaflowen, seen all of Gosick and seen some of Natsume and I feel like Escaflowne creates the most well formed world out of the three of them.

Group D-14
vs.

World of Pokemon

Group D-15
vs.
Daikuuriku, Simoun

Daikuuriku I think Aincard is a fascinating setting with gorgeous visuals, but the amount of time jumps in SAO make it so not as much of the setting is explored that could have been. Haven't seen Simoun yet, but I love the concept of the show and think that it's originality trumps Aincard.

Group D-16
Glie, Haibane Renmei
vs.

Glie
mow123

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Group D-9
Metropolis, Metropolis
vs.

Plot issues aside, Neo-Verona is a fantastic world, though a tad loose for some literalists. I have no issues with Metropolis, but I felt that it was a bit too hamstrung in material and too limited in development.

Group D-10
vs.
vs.

Legend of GH Milky Way LoGH is without a doubt a heavy hitter with complex politics, evolving history, interesting historical figures all bundled with a ridiculous level of detail. I do admit some of the pieces are a bit dry, bland and uninspired. LoGH is expansive enough to make up for it, and as a whole it far exceeds the sum of its part as well developed historical tapestry. The rich cultures and interesting larger than life characters offset the occasional inane general and cliche inspired minor power. I do think it might be a tad overly ambitious, but compared to what it is facing now there is no contest.

Group D-11
vs.
Japan 2113, Psycho-Pass

Japan 2013 has more depth and complexity as far as worlds go, but I openly admit that Castle in the Sky is a higher quality anime.

Group D-12
vs.

Japan 2030 despite loving Spice and Wolf slightly more and the solid low fantasy elements. The world of GitS is simply far meatier, deeper, and a great example of visionary level world building. I certainly didn't find the world of Spice of Wolf to be generic, but I found Japan 2030 to be more inspiring and involving. The somewhat believable and solid hard sci fi elements are probably anime's best attempt on painting what a world ruled by cyber-technology would look like in the distant future.

Group D-13
vs.
Saubure, Gosick
vs.

Natsume for the Mushishi-eque folklore approach that seems to differentiate itself better than a psuedo historical setting and generic shojou world with mecha and an odd look thrown in.

Group D-14
vs.

As well researched and pretty the GG's Italy is, very little effort is given to developing the setting. World of Pokemon may be aimed towards small children, but there is no limit to content. I also feel that one of the latest Pokemon's releases the 4 episode OVA Pokemon Orgins demonstrates that the world development can be succinct and while things did feel omitted I felt it did a good job capturing some of the more interesting parts of the Pokemon mythos and lore of the generation that started it all.

Group D-15
vs.
Daikuuriku, Simoun

Aincard because it the sense of urgency and immersion gave it an edge over run of the mill generic MMO worlds. The Simoun world appears to deserve the win more, but this is my attempt to narrow the vote divide slightly.

Group D-16
Glie, Haibane Renmei
vs.

Dustbin While I can understand the appeal and strengths of the HR world, I think world is a bit too open ended. Questions are answered with more questions. Some say the world is grounded; I say it substitutes concrete development with symbolism and ambiguity. Don't get me wrong Glie is awesome, but I don't think it deserved the near shut out victory. You may see me vote for it again, but I wanted to air some weaknesses first.
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
Group D-9
Metropolis, Metropolis
vs.
Neo-Verona

Group D-10
vs.
vs.
Milky Way

Group D-11
vs.
Japan 2113, Psycho-Pass
Japan 2113

Group D-12
vs.
Spice and Wolf

Group D-13
vs.
Saubure, Gosick
vs.
Gaea

Group D-14
vs.
Pokemon world. Man, I really don't like Pokemon (the show, the games were fun). But I gotta admit, the world is impressive. Many different types of Pokemon, each having heights, weights, weaknesses, strengths... it is a very detailed world.

Group D-15
vs.
Daikuuriku, Simoun
Aincrad. A beautiful world, but also one that feels real. The roles the trapped players are forced to take are believable and varied (informants, smiths, fighters etc.). There's even an 'orphanage' for the child players.

Group D-16
Glie, Haibane Renmei
vs.
Glie. A beautiful and mysterious town surrounded by walls. It has its own traditions, culture, and most of all, secrets.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:22 am Reply with quote
Group D-9
Metropolis, Metropolis
vs.

Metropolis

Group D-10
vs.
vs.

While AOT doesn’t really do much for me, the other two mark the most difficult choice in the tournament for me so far. Both Honneamise and LOGH are exquisitely developed worlds, but in completely opposite ways. Honneamise over the course of a single film expands on a plethora of details and little nuances of its setting in a way that little else does, and LOGH takes its extremely long runtime to build up the macroscopic environment. We essentially have micro vs macro. Ultimately I think I’ll decide on LOGH milky way by a nose.

Group D-11
vs.
Japan 2113, Psycho-Pass

World of Castle in the Sky

Group D-12
vs.

Japan 2030

Group D-13
vs.
Saubure, Gosick
vs.

Gaea is quite far from typical fantasy. It takes place not in a constructed world, but a moon beyond the real one (probably in the future. Implied but not explicitly stated). The earth (mystic moon) and its moon hang in the sky. There are mecha powered by pink matter from deceased dragons, but this is also used for more mundane purposes, like bulldozers and the like. The Zaibach empire is also intriguing because it originated from Isaac Newton coming to Gaea and Realizing his research into numerology and alchemy (which he was acutally interested in, actually moreso than physics and mathematics). Little things are done well too, like months having names like Red and Green.

Group D-14
vs.

World of Pokemon is actually pretty interesting, detailing the different regions and their locales, as well as the unique fauna (pokemon) that inhabit them. The technology is interesting too, a very ‘futuristic 90s’ style thing, with video payphones, and the speaking blocky pokedex, but also space capsules like pokeballs and telepathy and teleportation.

Group D-15
vs.
Daikuuriku, Simoun

Daikuuriku

Group D-16
Glie, Haibane Renmei
vs.

Dustbin. I like the idea of the ruins of ancient technology in what initially seems like a fantastical/medieval setting
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
Round 2 group D is now closed.

We have 16 votes in this time, and while the last two were technically late, I counted them because they had no ability to change the outcome of any of the races. The results:

D-9: Neo-Verona muscles out Metropolis, 10-6
D-10: LOGH Milky Way Galaxy blasts by World of Attack on Titan and Kingdom of Honneamise, 14-2-0.
D-11: World of Castle in the Sky floats beyond reach of Japan 2113, 12-4.
D-12: Japan 2030 body-jacks World of Spice and Wolf, 10-6.
D-13: Gaea overwhelms Saubere and World of Natsume's BOF, 12-2-2.
D-14: World of Pokemon cruises by Italy, 11-5.
D-15: Daikuuriku flies circles around Aincard, 13-3.
D-16: Glie pacifies Dustbin, 13-3.

D-9, D-12, and D-14 were all closer than the final scores indicate for most of the week, with the winners of D-12 and D-14 having to come from behind on early deficits. The rest of the matches were decided early.

Two seeds fall, for a 6/8 record in this round and a 28 of 32 record overall. But now it's going to become mostly seeds vs. seeds, especially in the upcoming group. . .

Last edited by Key on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:46 am Reply with quote
Round 3 Group A is now closed.

Results can be found here.

One tie to break this time around; is Academy City strong enough to take them both out? Looks like we could have a couple of other interesting matches here, too.

Group A-17
Twelve Kingdoms, The Twelve Kingdoms
vs.
World of Mushishi, Mushishi

Group A-18
Stern Bild City, Tiger and Bunny
vs.
Aqua, Aria franchise

Group A-19
Land of the Beast Gods, Princess Mononoke
vs.
18th Century France, Le Chevalier d’Eon

Group A-20
Academy City, A Certain Magical Index franchise
vs.
World of Wolf’s Rain, Wolf’s Rain
vs.
Macross Universe, Macross franchise

Last edited by Key on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 34