• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Eternal RTO!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Wakaiba wrote:
Aoi Miyazaki, "Nana 1".

In reply to the 19.95 typo, it reminds me of how manga used to be priced. I know that Dark Horse usually sells the most expensive manga at about 15$, but beyond them how often is manga sold now above the 10.95-ish mark? [just out of curiosity...]

Plenty. Alot of specialty manga (yaoi) is around $13, as is Del Rey's mature line. Vertical sells stuff expensive because they give you a ton of material (around 350 per volume of Buddha for a measily $15). Volumes of Phoenix from Viz retail for a similar price/page ratio and have great production values. Drawn & Quarterly's Tatsumi collections retail for $20, but those are hardcovers with stellar production values. I doubt they expected to have mush success selling to manga fans despite Tatsumi's status as a legend, so they're selling to the alt. comics crowd where good production values have a higher priority than low price. I still think the collections are a great value, both for the format and the exellent content.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Wakaiba wrote:
Aoi Miyazaki, "Nana 1".

In reply to the 19.95 typo, it reminds me of how manga used to be priced. I know that Dark Horse usually sells the most expensive manga at about 15$, but beyond them how often is manga sold now above the 10.95-ish mark? [just out of curiosity...]

EDIT TO SELF: I had an answer all planned out for you, but it looks like I've been beaten to the punch.

I'm just going to add that Fanfare/Ponent Mon charges you an arm and a leg for the elite privilege of enjoying their catalog of Smart Asse Manga. Apparently, being a manga reader of sophisticated and cultured tastes is synonymous with having deep pockets. (But mostly it's just economics being a bitch.)

Oh, and Del Rey is also going to mark up Mushishi's price because of fancy printing for the covers.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I'm just going to add that Fanfare/Ponent Mon charges you an arm and a leg for the elite privilege of enjoying their catalog of Smart Asse Manga. Apparently, being a manga reader of sophisticated and cultured tastes is synonymous with having deep pockets. (But mostly it's just economics being a bitch.)

"Smart Asse Manga." Classic. You really have to wonder if the ridiculous pretension of their book descriptions is a translating error (which makes sense considering they're not all that well written) or if Frédéric Boilet is really that full of himself. I'm usually not stingly when it comes to paying for comics I want, but PM is just ridiculous. I love Blue and Kinderbook, but I essentially overpayed for books with crappy binding. They've gotten better in terms of materials, but they still overcharge on prices. Japan was fairly reasonable, but Botchan downright sucked, as you get half a volume (original release was 5, PM release is supposidly 10) for twice the price. Hopefully the new distribution deal has helped them move enough books to start targeting a wider audience. I guess we'll see this fall then they release new books from Kan Takahama and Jiro Taniguchi. One good sign is they're putting out a second edition of Takahama's Kinderbook.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I think Reborn! deserves a bit more than a C+. However, it is true that it is episodic, and that continues for the next few volumes, but around 5 or 6 it gets really good and goes more in depth with the mafia family stuff and gives the series more of a focus in terms of a conflict, etc. It's just odd since the early chapters give no indication of how the series eventually changes.

It's a pity about Labyrinth, since the cover is really nice. So far I've found most of tokyopop's OELs to look like what Zac said Labyrinth looked like, web comics. They really need to be on the lookout for much better talent, I mean there are some decent(visually at least) OEL's from other companies.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The most glaring is supporting character Yuri, who falls too easily into the "innocent child" stereotype—a decidedly two-dimensional creation among a cast of much more complex characters.

Actually, I thought Yuri made a perfect foil to Isaac. Probably moreso than Shuro.

Quote:
Some of the clues are also handed out too easily: the TV news just happens to be covering something relevant to the story (aren't all fictional televisions like that?);

To be fair, the Japanese media was reporting about attacks on children at the time the manga was written.

Quote:
Then there's the action sequence near the end, which somehow dissolves into policeman slapstick and disrupts the tone of the series. Come on, godlike beings with psychic powers are serious business.

I'm assuming Isaac hasn't really explored the potential for his powers.

Anyway, ES is still in the B range for me, but this one's closer to a B+.

Kagemusha: I think ES is more like Monster, but there's definitely some Otomo-like scenes, too.

Akukaze: I don't think Yuri is exactly like Issac. She obviously has more of a conscience than him. It's just that she's more sympathetic to Isaac, because Isaac tries to protect her.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:38 am Reply with quote
RTO wrote:
While the rest of the internet throws a fit over Tokyopop's new online distribution plan...

What's TP doing now? I haven't heard anything on some new online distro plan.

Also, bahamut623: "Around 5 or 6" is...well, I really don't want to have to wade through 6 volumes to get to the good stuff. That's $48 right there.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:16 am Reply with quote
Well the early volumes are enjoyable too. It's not like it's total crap then all of a sudden turns good. I meant that the focus of the series changes.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:38 am Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
RTO wrote:
While the rest of the internet throws a fit over Tokyopop's new online distribution plan...

What's TP doing now? I haven't heard anything on some new online distro plan.

This one.

Prepare for indignation!
aluria

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe they're changing Nanas! I thought the first actress did just fine. I totally enjoyed the first movie and can't wait till the second! My vote goes for the original!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe what this Labyrinth needs is a sense of direction

I lol'd.

Labyrinth's aren't supposed to have a sense of direction. That's why they're labyrinths. Razz
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:04 am Reply with quote
The cover art of that Labyrinth comic reminds me a bit too much of Kouyu Shuurei's Alichino. I'm not saying it's plagiarism, but it's definitely too heavily inspired by it.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:07 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
The cover art of that Labyrinth comic reminds me a bit too much of Kouyu Shuurei's Alichino. I'm not saying it's plagiarism, but it's definitely too heavily inspired by it.

That would be because the cover IS illustrated by Kouyu Shuurei. Cool
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:21 am Reply with quote
Ah! It all makes sense now. Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:08 am Reply with quote
Ichikawa Yui definetly has my vote Very Happy
I agree with the take on Reborn, it looks interesting at first, but after a while, it gets monotonous, which is probably why it should stay targeted at 12 year old boys.
Anrui Ukimi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:55 am Reply with quote
I should read it...my friend picked it up a few weeks ago and said it read like a good fanfiction. Anime hyper

Our one nitpick was the fact that the gorgeous cover was completely misleading to the contents, but as long as the story is good, I can over look shaky art to a point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3