• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Getting To Know You

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Question to ANN, are we (ANN forum/news visitors) going to get the chance to see the result after the survey window is closed?

Some aspects of it will be published. Others will not. We haven't quite decided how or what yet.

-t
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
One suggestion for the survey when you do anything like this in the future; for highest education completed put a Professional Degree option. I'm a lawyer and I ended up checking Phd as that was the closest option. Their probably aren't a ton of doctors/lawyers on the site, but since you bothered to put Phd you probably should have added the Profession Degree option.

I couldn't really think of anything to improve the site either. Plus I had a hard time choosing between reviews and news as my reason for coming here. I wish that had been on a scale like everything else.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Some aspects of it will be published. Others will not. We haven't quite decided how or what yet.

-t

Thank you Tempest, I realize that certain items will probably not be for certain reason, but I am looking forward to the items that are going to be release to the public. Thank you for speedy answer.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote
The most interesting statistic would be the corollations between some of these pieces of information. Although, some of them (region bought + what bought) need to be corollated to draw any conclusion.

Also, I would think the number of discs/books purchased over a 12 month period is an important statistic that is missing from this survey. You could put <$25/month for manga but only be buying 4 books per year. Similarly, you could put <$25/month and be buying 50 discs. (Yes, they aren't bootlegs.).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
(...) but if they are just sitting on their hands at some point in time, then they should get to work on this.

Because there isn't any time for me to "sit on my hands."

Josh7289 wrote:
In the end, it doesn't even affect me, since I pretty much only read what is usually considered "mainstream", since I do not devote too much money to anime or manga.

You are such a good morale raiser, aren't you? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mjgeo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this is or will be a yearly survey.

Anyway, the survey is a bit hard for people outside of America. I buy anime, but not R1 or R2. So I had to put it with the "other anime/merchandise" section.
Also the DVD distributors are different, not that it would have mattered since I would recommend titles case by case (which I think there should have been an option for other than "no opinion" for each distributor).

Oh well, happy to help out a little.
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
I actually come to ANN for the Forums and News, but whatever. I do hope that ANN adds the ability to watch trailers on their website

LOL, I put the same thing! And they had you pick ONE and I use the News as much as the Encyclopedia.... rats Smile

PS Dormcat, sorry that folks like Josh7289 show up. But hey, there will always be leechers and parasites.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
mjgeo wrote:
Hopefully this is or will be a yearly survey.

I think that might be a good idea. It would help ANN to be the best that ANN could be.

Of course, on the other hand, everyone on staff do seem to have their hands full.

dormcat wrote
Quote:
Because there isn't any time for me to "sit on my hands."
Sakura no Miko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

It's actually something that has to be changed in the skin. Are you the creator of that skin ? Just copy the code currently used in the regular skin, and it should do the trick.

-t

Ah...sorry, but I'm techno-illiterate. Embarassed
All I know is, any of the skins I click to use, the pop-up ads cut into them. my roommate said it was probably the size of my browser of something...
Sorry. Embarassed
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
WEKS wrote:
DriftRoot wrote:
This is the ANIME News Network, not the Manga News Network.

FAQ wrote:
Anime News Network was created as a news source that focuses on the medium of Japanese Animation(anime) and Japanese Comics (manga).

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=145181#145181

You guys have no idea how many manga titles are out there: at the order of hundreds of thousands. Concentrating on anime-related manga would be the most (and probably the only) feasible way right now.

But if ANN can review 10 DVDs a month (just guessing here), why can't 3 or 4 volumes of manga be included as well? I was just asking for more manga reviews, not additions to the encylopedia (I know you guys are swamped as it is). I don't think it would be that difficult to include a few more manga reviews as there seem to be roughly one volume of manga reviewed a month on average.

Driftroot was responding to my comment: "I really couldn't think of much that needed to be improved on the site other than more manga reviews (the anime to manga ration seems to be about 10:1). And more help for those poor enclyopedia staff members who seem to be swamped."

Prior to your comment, no one had mentioned the need for more manga entries in the encylopedia.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Well I think the choices for "How much do you earn a year" and "Employment" should have had opt out answers. I hate answering that sort information to begin with but as it was nothing under the "Employment" catagory that fit my situation. So I just had to pick one that was close to the ball park and use it instead Embarassed.
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
I disagree. I don't care what the manga is related to; if it's manga, add it. It cannot do any harm.

Actually, it could do harm. If the staff is trying to focus on adding every single manga, it could take time away from getting to stuff that actually should be added rather than unrelated items. You're also not taking the very low staff into account either. They're already overworked as it is.

It's a site about anime and manga. How is manga unrelated? If they started adding recipes I could see complaining, but manga seems perfectly relevant. How would you determine what's relevant? And just because it has "Anime" in the title and not manga doesn't really mean anything, I doubt they'd consider calling it www.animeandmanganewsnetwork.com. And I probably wouldn't spend much time at www.animeondvdandmangainpaperback.com either.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:34 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

But if ANN can review 10 DVDs a month (just guessing here), why can't 3 or 4 volumes of manga be included as well? I was just asking for more manga reviews, not additions to the encylopedia (I know you guys are swamped as it is). I don't think it would be that difficult to include a few more manga reviews as there seem to be roughly one volume of manga reviewed a month on average.

Your wish is my command (and we've been working on this for a while now; expect a lot more reviews of both anime and manga, especially manga, on the site in the coming months). This was something we've been planning long before the survey.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Driftroot was responding to my comment (...) Prior to your comment, no one had mentioned the need for more manga entries in the encylopedia.

I replied to WEKS by showing him ANN does not have enough resources to spend on both subjects equally -- at least for now. I didn't mean manga are not important -- I myself am more a manga fan than an anime fan -- but right now my hands are full.

For manga reviews: like Zac has said, there will be more coming right up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Your wish is my command (and we've been working on this for a while now; expect a lot more reviews of both anime and manga, especially manga, on the site in the coming months). This was something we've been planning long before the survey.

Awesome.

dormcat wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Driftroot was responding to my comment (...) Prior to your comment, no one had mentioned the need for more manga entries in the encylopedia.

I replied to WEKS by showing him ANN does not have enough resources to spend on both subjects equally -- at least for now. I didn't mean manga are not important -- I myself am more a manga fan than an anime fan -- but right now my hands are full.

I think we are just interpreting things differently and Zac has already addressed what I was talking about originally, so I'm not going to drag this out any further.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4