• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Dandy's 90-Second Trailer Previews English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thepete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote
I'm just going to chime in with the haters on this one. it looks "fun" but only if you've not seen anime like "Dead Leaves" or "FLCL" which both seem better than "Space Dandy" but seem to have a similar tone and frenetic pace. This also looks like "Redline" but quite a bit more sexist. Maybe I'm just getting on in years, but a guy who openly says "all I need is boobies" (or something to that effect) needs to go back to the 1980s where he belongs. I mean, how does a self-respecting woman watch an anime like this? I'm a guy and I love boobs, but I'm not 14. I like interesting women attached to boobs. I mean, come on, there isn't enough anime aimed at the 14-24 year old straight male demographic already? How about something we can show to our girl friends or wives? Just my ¥2.

Oh and probably more to the point, the lead character just seems like a Lupin/Cobra/dipshit-who-somehow-survives-despite-being-a-dipshit rip-off. Seems pretty cliche and predictable to me.

So, if anyone can still wonder why haters gotta hate a show that hasn't come out yet, hopefully, I've explained it clearly enough.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote
I agree with angelmcarzares though I have other feelings I want to get off my chest.

Mostly for the fact that I thought this was going to be something similar to Cowboy Bebop. What we love about Watanabe along with the staff from that show and BONES is there connection to the western medium of anime by mixing both catered groups.

From angelmcarzares:

1. For nostalgia facter can be the case in a 50-50 manor.

2. I can agree that maybe the fans are thinking this single anime will end the common beleif of anime being a niche market outside of japan since its licensed by public toppy Funimation and the just brought back Toonami group which I comepletely disagree with since Psycho-Pass, Sword Art Online, H.O.T.D, and even Attack on Titan did not shake that status quo. Average people are not going to look at the staff, they are going to look at this from its visual style.

Cowboy Bebop on the other hand tamed it to please anime fans and regular adults at the same time. My parents fell in love with it, even Kids on the Slope since it treated them like adults whatching a lone groupy ranger in space, or a drama with both having typical live action comedy but in an Anime medium.

Space Dandy seems to bad of being crazy on comedy and regular japanese facial expression to be the golden anime for a new audience or sway the minds of the settled public in stone. Its basically like how my Mother despises Princess Tutu, the comedy is all over the place to be taken seriously even if there is something to laugh at to bring a connection to the characters or said show.

With every comedy there is a handful of seriousness. And if this style of comedy is going to dominate episode after episode then they already lost some points to get new people. And there should be no excuse for Shinichiro from Samurai Champloo or for this show to be pulling boob jokes either with exposition or word of mouth. He is too good for that.

I think in my opinion either fans quit believing this is going to be the next Cowboy Bebop nostalgia-wise due to it being on toonami, or accept that this anime will not change course of public belief on anime as of now.

So I can agree and disagree with angelmcarzares statement. But its peculiar for users to be claiming he/she is being a hispter when he/she has some points along with myself of why we are anlyzing the show.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:05 am Reply with quote
I hope they come through on the boobies promise, I want high quality toplessness.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:39 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Either way, I'm not sure what your problem is and why you feel the need to be so defensive about this show.

Why? Because I do not get why some many people are fawning over a show that looks like and old and mediocre sci-fi/space anime.

Every season people fawn over all shows, from flimsy-looking yuri to to hard-knocking robots to 5-min flash moe, even though about half of them fail in the end. Ya might as well question why there's people fawning over any series any season. Let people have their fun, and let the chips fall where they may in the end.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:55 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
One Piece? Claymore? Desert Punk? Panty & Stocking? Speed Grapher? D.Gray-man? BECK? Darker than Black? Mushishi? School Rumble? Welcome to the NHK? Shin Chan?

Those aren't even their good dubs.

Well, okay, Darker than Black is a great Funimation dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:14 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
I think in my opinion either fans quit believing this is going to be the next Cowboy Bebop nostalgia-wise due to it being on toonami, or accept that this anime will not change course of public belief on anime as of now.

'Course it's not going to be the next Cowboy Bebop... nothing will! Laughing Cowboy Bebop is Cowboy Bebop because it was the anime most casual American fans saw as an introduction to adult anime back in the 90s. You can't replicate that again in this day and age where you can download hundreds of anime in a day thanks to the internet. It'd be like saying some new store will be the next Blockbuster. It's irrelevent and outdated and the market has changed. I really hope no one actually thinks any anime can do that again, or Toonami can be what it was like when they were kids.. Fraid that ain't happening any more than me wishing I could take my kid to go rent a game Friday night after school like my parents did for me. Just accept those days are over...
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:23 am Reply with quote
No one thinks this is going to be the next Bebop in either popularity or type.

The thing is that it is a western friendly anime getting a sizable push. Thats pretty exciting.

Toonami may not be as big as Adult Swim was back when Bebop came out, but they are actually pushing this show. It would be nice if it gained any sort of traction.

No it wont start some trend, but hopefully it does well enough that the team is given another production.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:14 am Reply with quote
So I guess this is the new candidate for an endless deluge of tribalistic knee-jerk hate from people who hate the people who this is for.
daichi383

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote
Really looking forward to this. Looks like a fun enough watch and the animation should be sweet. Ian sounds great too so no complaints from me.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:50 am Reply with quote
I personally don't see this as looking at all like the next Cowboy Bebop, and I hope that's not what they were aiming for, because then it would be trying to live up to a classic (which is crazy impossible), instead of doing its own thing. What I like about Space Dandy is that it visually and conceptually looks like a show that stepped right out of the 90's (with an 80' sense of flair), and to me that's a very surprising thing to see, since those sensibilities and tropes seemed to have passed a long time ago, and I wasn't at all expecting to ever see them again. Does that mean it'll be good? Well, only time will tell. But for a person like me who really loved that sort of conceptual style and misses its presence in the industry, it's like a sight for sore eyes.

As for the fanservice in the show, it often seems to be the case that it's mostly guys who complain about that sort of thing a lot more than women, because in my experience women usually don't care, the same way men don't care about the shirtless buff men on the covers of romance novels. So long as the concept is campy fanservice, and doesn't push some sort of message about women's 'place' in society, most normal passers-by wouldn't really be affected. Actually, it's seemed to me that there's an assumption amongst nice guys that women are generally offended by the male attraction to the female form, and that's actually not true in my experience, as most of the girls I've known over the years also have a healthy appreciation (and sometimes attraction) to women's bodies. I've wondered if the guys who get offended by shows with content like this might just be inexperienced with women in general, or maybe live in a very prudish community (or maybe I've just had the unique experience of meeting lots of girl-loving girls over the years Laughing). Anyways, Space Dandy looks to be campy over-the-top fun that's setting a tongue-in-cheek macho tone, and since the fanservice seems to play into the humor of that I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Last edited by Kikaioh on Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:

As for the fanservice in the show, it often seems to be the case that it's mostly guys who complain about that sort of thing a lot more than women, because in my experience women usually don't care

I am going to stop you right there because I am a woman who cares and I know a lot of other women who most certainly do care.

Fanservice might be a necessary evil for me when it comes to anime but when female characters are reduced to "boobies" yeah sorry as a woman it is not pleasant and I respect men who have respect for women and talk against this type of thing. And no I don't think those men are prudes, just the opposite.

As for Space Dandy I don't like the fanservice in the preview but the show does look like a lot of fun despite that. Hence I can possibly enjoy a show with fanservice even if I don't like the fanservice aspect.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:34 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

I am going to stop you right there because I am a woman who cares and I know a lot of other women who most certainly do care.

Fanservice might be a necessary evil for me when it comes to anime but when female characters are reduced to "boobies" yeah sorry as a woman it is not pleasant and I respect men who have respect for women and talk against this type of thing. And no I don't think those men are prudes, just the opposite.

As for Space Dandy I don't like the fanservice in the preview but the show does look like a lot of fun despite that. Hence I can possibly enjoy a show with fanservice even if I don't like the fanservice aspect.

Haha so, you intend to stop me right here, is that the idea? Laughing Well, I think I'm just going to hop to the side and keep moving along then. Wink Based on what you've said, it unfortunately seems you're in the far minority of the people I've met over the years, though I do realize there are circles of people who do share your point of view and I respect your opinion, though I don't necessarily agree with it. I personally don't see fanservice as an evil at all (only when there's way too much of it saturating the industry, because I do think things should be handled in moderation). In more serious works I would agree with your position of seeing female characters reduced simply to 'boobies' as being distasteful, though more in the sense that I think it would be placing too much emphasis on the fanservice at the expense of characterization. In general, however, when I see it showing up in shows like Space Dandy, I don't view it as some sort of message or attempt at representing women as a gender, anymore than I see the way men are presented in dojinshi or BL novels as at all being an attempt at saying "this is the role men should have in society". It's entertaining fluff that appeals to primal carnal desires, and that's how I treat it. I also suspect that Dandy will probably be a good guy, just very open about his love for women, so I think that helps balance things as well.
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Have fun believing that a third rate rip off of Cowboy Bebop will "save anime western fandom."
Samurai Champloo was a Bebop wanna be, and it didn't "save anime western fandom" but it was still fun to watch.

angelmcazares wrote:
That being said, I hope that this adventure is profitable for FUNi, and they do not regret picking up and dubbing a series that looks like simply nostalgia bait without substance.
Yeah, like that Dragon Ball Z/Kai stuff that they simply haven't been able to sell to anyone...
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Why so much love for a series that hasn't even aired yet? Huh?

There's no more valuable or meaningful use of your time than trying to correct someone else's emotional response to something.

The world will suffer too much injustice if people are "too excited" for this show. Truly your input here is needed and necessary.

Zac, you make it so temping with your snide comments and attitude to get into a nasty fight with you, but I will restrain myself because I will probably not change your mind, and I do not want to get banned.
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
No one thinks this is "going to save western fandom" and I don't even know what that means anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6