• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Engaged To The Unidentified (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
anyone notice Kobeni's eyes before the accident?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Nope. What was noteworthy about them?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
they spoiler[weren't purple when she was younger]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
'Coz that was before she got spoiler[powered up by Hakuya.] Good catch, dude.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Yes, good catch on that. I had to go back and look at that again, and you're right. spoiler[Before the accident her eye color is the same as Benio's, but after they're pretty close to the same color as Hakuya's.]

Anyway, finally had time to sit down and watch episode 5 today and I wasn't disappointed. The first revelation wasn't a big surprise, given at what was previously hinted at, but the revelation about what Hakuya did to save Kobeni was. As others noted, I liked how they cleverly used that to explain her fragile health.

dtm42 wrote:
While ideas are important, it is the execution that really separates a good show from a bad one. And this show has proven a number of times now that no matter how old and tired the premise and concepts, with smart writing and the right tone you can make an enjoyable and quality watch out of it.

Fully agreed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Mashiro's interest in the spoiler[UMA chocolates] was cute/funny. Kind of sad she could spoiler[not complete her collection], but still laugh at her frustration at spoiler[Nessie], so cute. For some reason I feel like referencing Non Non Biyori.

In regards to her dilemma of what she wants to do, my advice to her is that she can be a little selfish if she wants, just do what she wants.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:18 am Reply with quote
This episode seemed to come out earlier than usual.

I know too well spoiler[the pain of getting the same crappy toys over and over again instead of the rare ones. I felt for Mashiro this episode.]

I also felt spoiler[for Hakuya too; he takes everything so seriously. Though it was funny when Mashiro said that teenage boys are "delicate". Usually in anime only teenage girls are said to be delicate, so this was a welcome twist to the trope.]

Kind of funny how spoiler[the family was inundated with chocolate by the end of the episode.]
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting the two large boxes that Kobeni had with her when she announced that she was giving chocolate to Mashiro and Kobeni to either contain giant chocolate nude statues of either herself or the two younger girls. ^^;;;;

Kobeni will only get married to a man who has an adorable younger sister. Or maybe she'll skip the husband and just adopt a cute girl.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I get the feeling that I'm not supposed to be taking this show seriously as a romance anime. Because it feels like there is nothing going on here. I generally like the comedy most of the time even though i still can't stand some of the voice actors but every single time there is a hint of a romantic situation Benio comes in and pretty much says exactly what's on my mind. It's good that the show is self aware at how cheesy it is but that also curses it since that leaves only the comedy to support it from not being your typical forgettable romcom series (though even at this point i don't think i'll remember this show after next season lol).

I think the reason is simple. Kobeni doesn't love Hakuya as much as she feels indebted to him. Had she not found out about the accident i think their relationship would have been the same as it was at the start. As soon as i saw how dull Hakuya's personality was i figured there had to be something BIG that would make Kobeni like him eventually and i guessed right. I thought the whole being forced to marry him would be enough but the accident just adds onto the pile. And even 6 episodes in he hasn't really changed much besides occasionally patting Kobeni on the head now. He says little nice things every now and then that make Kobeni blush but there isn't much else going on.

If i recall Hakuya was worried that Kobeni was going to end up this way if they talked about the accident which is why he was against telling her. He wanted for her to love him naturally not because she felt obligated too. However ever since then i haven't seen him worried about this issue at all even though that's clear what's going on. Why drop that? I figured he'd say something about it when he first found out she knew but apparently not.

Overall the story and romance is pretty weak but i usually overlook it due to Benio's pedo antics each episode Laughing

Oh and i thought for sure someone was going to be worried about the fact she's giving chocolate to a family of dog people Shocked
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Oh and i thought for sure someone was going to be worried about the fact she's giving chocolate to a family of dog people

Shhhhhhhhhhhh, maybe nobody noticed and we can avoid the 5 pages of arguing about real-word values being applied to supernatural beings in a fictional setting.

Anyway, I just tanked this 2-6 (though I think I watched ep2 twice. LOL) and I am enjoying it, though I wish it were more rom or more com as it seems to be not enough of either yet. All the seeds are planted but they're bearing such small fruit. The Mashiro/Benio thing is stating to gear down in entertainment factor for me too.

My guess for the family's origins basically went werewolf->ninja clan-> werewolf and now sits at nature spirits of some sort (my japanese folklore is ok-ish but I'm not going to try and guess anything specific) with of course Hakuya filling the inugami or similar being. I wouldn't be shocked if they were all different types though, even if the thought of puppy Mashiro is D'AWWWWwwwwwww.

And yeah, I too feel the pain of spoiler[randomly packaged figures. I bought 2 cases of Pangya gashapons and, although I completed my set, I got so many Hana figures I couldn't get rid of them all and we ended up using some for SCIENCE. (trivia: when microwaved, gashapon melt from the bottom up with the heads remaining mostly intact. It's like you've made a new original character!)]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Earlier Benio needed someone to keep her in check, but now we needed one of her fans, the secretary. It was an interesting reveal that spoiler[she also one of the creatures, but the ending makes me afraid she will feel pressured to have to mate with him to keep the race going, and we will get no yuri].

And I like how Mashiro's fear of UMAs has turned into a fascination, although again into some fear. And she does not seem to have a clear reason why she should not be classified as one.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that was an interesting (and at least for me completely unexpected) revelation. The end of the episode certainly does suggest a particular direction, and I am very curious to see how that plays out.

After getting more serious the last three episodes, episode 7 emphasizes the comedy aspect much more, which made it quite a fun view. (The irony of Mashiro, who technically is a monster herself, being deathly afraid of monsters, spirits, and aliens is always amusing.) This series also does a better job than most of hitting just right with recurring jokes, such as how spoiler[Kobeni always seemed to be around when the blond girl flipped out]. And I loved the "sit" joke.

On another point, I would argue that Hakuya actually isn't all that dull. In fact, I think the series has actually done a great job of making him expressive without exactly showing him as expressive. And the romance is there, as Kobeni is shown gradually getting used to having Hakuya around and starting to think highly of him. It's a slower and more subtle approach but it's definitely there.

Last edited by Key on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Konoha is awesome. I think she deserves more screen time in this show for her performance in the latest episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh, lookie! It's the character I wanted to know more about! And she's pretty awesome, adding a role in both angles of the show instead of just feeding more ammo into the ever-firing Benio cannon. And that twist was great. Though I'm not looking forward to the inevitable gags of Konoha accusing Mashiro of bewitching Benio.

I agree fully about Hakuya being expressive. You just have to look for it. Him and Convenience Store are likely going to win my Best Couple of 2014 award unless something really major appears. It's still pretty early to say but their relation is actually growing rather than just being dropped to us in slideshow-esque stages. I think that's something romance stories of all cultures struggle with.

I loved a lot of the situation/embarassment gags in this ep. Keep em coming.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(The irony of Mashiro, who technically is a monster herself, being deathly afraid of monsters, spirits, and aliens is always amusing.)

To say nothing of her fear of Benio. "Does she emit a poison gas?" ha ha.
Quote:
And I loved the "sit" joke.

Didn't she say "stay?" Either way it is a bit reminiscent of Inuyasha isn't it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9