• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:36 am Reply with quote
Well, I still think it's dumb that Uka-sama never told Inari that spoiler[using her divine powers would make her fade.] It was clear that Inari, whether on purpose or due to a lack of control, was going to keep on using them and thus spoiler[it was guaranteed that Uka would fade.] It makes zero sense for Uka not to have said at some point, "er, by the way..."

Especially since, unless I'm missing something, there would have been no downside to giving Inari that information. They'd still be able to see each other (because it's not like they know how to give the divine power back). In fact, by having that knowledge and NOT using the divine power, Inari would be more of a normal girl which is supposedly what Uka-sama wants.

Are we really supposed to buy the "oh, I didn't want to worry her" crap? Gee, when spoiler[you fade away], don't you think that might "worry" Inari a bit?

However, that's what the whole dramatic premise of the show revolves around. I just wish shows would try harder to come up with explanations that aren't so dumb.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
This was a great episode, but they are really rushing things now. And Inari going into psycho-mode highlighted quite nicely how she isn't able to control her powers. If Uka hadn't appeared there was no telling what would have happened.

Blood- wrote:
Especially since, unless I'm missing something, there would have been no downside to giving Inari that information. They'd still be able to see each other (because it's not like they know how to give the divine power back). In fact, by having that knowledge and NOT using the divine power, Inari would be more of a normal girl which is supposedly what Uka-sama wants.

They do know how to get Uka her power back. spoiler[Inari has to want to return it and since that would mean not being able to see Uka anymore, that makes it all the more difficult. That's also the main reason why Uka hasn't told Inari.]

Doesn't take away the fact that they should have told Inari that her continued use of the powers was spoiler[slowly killing Uka] though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
@ Ortensia1980 - I must have missed that part because I really didn't think the power transfer was that easy and straightforward. Something I've wondered about...wasn't Inari able to see Uka-sama BEFORE she got any of her divine powers? We know for a fact that Inari's brother can see Uka-sama without having any of her divine powers. So the conceit of "give back powers" = no see-um seems a bit odd.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:37 am Reply with quote
@Blood- - It was mentioned very briefly at the ending of episode 8, right before Amaterasu puts Uka in the cave. It was just sort of thrown in.

No, she couldn't see Uka before she got her powers. No one really knows why her brother is able to see her. I read the manga as well and I don't recall an explanation for it being given in there either.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:03 am Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
No one really knows why her brother is able to see her. I read the manga as well and I don't recall an explanation for it being given in there either.

It's the powah of lurv! Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, Inari had something going on before she got her godpowers, because she could see the fox spirit she helped, and Uka told her not even really spiritually aware people could do that.

As for Touka, I think he might've absorbed a trace of Uka's powers from his childhood physical contact with her in human form, enough to let him continue to see her in kami form (she might have subconsciously caused that to be the case because she liked him and wanted to talk to him again). If he and Inari shared the same something to begin with, interacting with a god might've given him something extra.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
#10 Final

spoiler[Inari finally realized what's going on.
Having powers sure was fun, but not without consequences.
There was a lot of pressure on Uka.
I was impressed she would not falter in her decision.
It was amazing watching them open those gates.
Such willpower and group effort.
Returning the divine power was unavoidable, but still sad.
Such a bitter-sweet ending...
I'd love another season of this ^^]
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10/Finale:

I really like the beginning of this finale as it captured the way Inari who is really going out to help Uka-sama since she is trapped in that cave. It's not just her but everyone that cares about Uka-sama.

The ending was alright I suppose and conclusive although it should of expanded much more on this. I think overall, the problem (besides the show being only 10 episodes) is with the story involved some rushed parts like the way Sumizome poured out her feelings for Keiko. (kinda felt rushed on that part in the middle of the series).spoiler[ There were also some parts unresolved like if Inari and Tanbabashi will become a couple. Oh well, it still had its moments that were memorable and was a charming series.]

7/10.

There's still an OVA also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
@Stark: I don't know why you're still wondering if Inari spoiler[and Tanbabashi will become a couple. It's pretty obvious. Sure, it's nice if everyone properly confesses, dates and kisses, but we already got an intimate moment between them (that time when he was carrying her and started to feel something for her when she mentioned that she'd always watched him)] I would've liked it however if they put some more character interactions in the second half of the episode instead of spoiler[ the endless stairs at] the beginning.

I liked this anime. The music gave it a fairytale like feeling at times, the characters were fun and I liked the dynamics between them. I don't think this series did anything special that will stay with me for years though. The last episode had some pretty bad pacing, was predictable and it was kind of weird that they forgot spoiler[that Inari had turned permanently into Sumizome before she got her godly powers. Now she's perfectly normal again, like nothing happened.] It was also a bit strange how Touka was ablespoiler[ to see Uka when] nobody else was able to.

I secretly hope the OVA will include a lot of Touka X Uka Embarassed .
I gave this anime a Good.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
@Stark: I don't know why you're still wondering if Inari spoiler[and Tanbabashi will become a couple. It's pretty obvious. Sure, it's nice if everyone properly confesses, dates and kisses, but we already got an intimate moment between them (that time when he was carrying her and started to feel something for her when she mentioned that she'd always watched him)] I would've liked it however if they put some more character interactions in the second half of the episode instead of spoiler[ the endless stairs at] the beginning.

Based on the anime, they're not technically spoiler[dating, right? Obvious or not, they aren't officially a couple and the anime didn't show that. That's why I'm still wondering if they became couple or not. They might have some cute moments and the mutual attraction is obvious but it is never stated that they officially began dating].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this title. I'll rate it Good. I'm torn on the ending. Half of me is, "good on you show for sticking to the spoiler[give powers back = no more seeing Uka."] The other half of me is, "aw, couldn't you figure out a way to spoiler[let us have our cake and eat it too?"]

Looking forward to the OVA.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I would've liked it however if they put some more character interactions in the second half of the episode instead of spoiler[ the endless stairs at] the beginning.

This so much.spoiler[ The rescue of Uka seemed so needlessly dragged on, I would've definitely prefer to see some conclusion to Uka and Touka (can Touka still see her?) instead of watching Inari climbing stairs for 5 minutes.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
^
Yeah, I too want to know what is up with Touka. His ability to see Uka was never explained.

Cute little series, glad I watched it. Just a bit rushed for its own good. Another couple of episodes would have made a big difference.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:56 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I would've definitely prefer to see some conclusion to Uka and Touka spoiler[(can Touka still see her?)]

Me too, and I think so. At the end spoiler[she's standing next to him in a wide shot and they're all watching Inari, but from Inari's pov, he's standing alone, though his head is now turned toward where we saw Uka-sama as if they're talking. To me that's visual shorthand for "he can still see her." And since he has been able to see her since he was a child, nothing really happened to change that.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 10 (finale)

Yeah parts of this episode were really dragged on, which I suppose were an attempt to build suspense, but it was probably unnecessary for so much. I still really enjoyed it, as an end. For some reason I all of a sudden felt a tear in my eye as Inari looked back and continued on, I think a tear from beauty.

Now what did Inari Konkon do? it was not a particularly strong series, it was largely kid friendly, and occasionally things felt a little juvenile in dialogue. But I think what the series was, was that it was kind, no characters were shown to be inherently mean as they always had a reason that you could probably sympathise with. The tone was simple, but there was some depth in the details, and the show generally felt honest. I did not find that it insulted my intelligence either as it could surprise me with turns it took, and had some themes that you might not expect but were not just used for shock value.

I liked the characters. Inari was the standard type of heroine for these type of shows who are very normal and super for friendship, but the way she interacted with her friends was likable. She also had the visual trait that is much shorter than the rest of the people her age, but this was almost never really focused by someone to give it her only defining trait. Uka a bit harder to understand in some ways, but perhaps easier to sympathise by adults, she was a very likable character who could be annoyed by her brother, dote on Inari, geek out on her interests, and fall in romance plot with Touka. I kind of want to clarify each character, but that would probably go to long, but no one really felt hostile despite any of the situations that popped up.... well maybe one but she was cool.

I enjoyed this, and for what it is worth, they managed to make what I would think would be Decent at best, into a Good anime. Good is my rating for it, it worked surprisingly well for me despite being something watchable for the young, despite probably being seinen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7