• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Winter 2014: What is it the season of?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
This is something I've always liked doing- taking similar themes, scenes, unusual objects, etc and finding something that's unusually common in several of the first 1 or 2 episodes of a season.

Good examples would be the season of people playing Jenga or the season of an old man on a cliff divulging world history. Sometimes it's a season of a particular genre or an unusual number of shows end at 10 episodes or something. Trends can be reused in future seasons too. I'm sure there's several seasons that had an abundance of card-based stuff or albino characters, for example.

I've seen ep1 of almost everything this season. I think I can propose one now.

The season of civilian casualties. Seriously, the civies have it extra bad this season, like we're back in the OVA/Movie era where Tomino and Hirano were cackling gods of death while nameless bystanders burned around them.

They've had it pretty easy for a while. Fields have gone up to protect bystanders, battles only took place in alternate dimensions, etc. But now it seems that time has come to pass and your dying words will very likely be "Oh, what's that coming toward us?"
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
The advent of the Short feature.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
That's fully possible. I had a hell of a time trying to find how many shorts were in seasons even a year ago and the resource I use for current stuff seems to only have come into existence mid-2013.

We have, what, 8 shorts this season? The usual seems to be 3-5.
DG_Nick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:56 am Reply with quote
To answer the topic question: Panties. Finally, this is the year.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:26 am Reply with quote
I'd call it the season of comedies and not-quite-serious anime. We have a big amount of unusual comedies this season (Space Dandy, Hozuki no Reitetsu, Silver Spoon) and most of the other anime (that I've watched) doesn't give off this "chinese cartoons are serious stuff" vibe that other things like Psycho Pass, Rozen Maiden, NagiAsu, KamiNai, Attack on Titan, Gargantia, just to mention a few from the past year). There are just so many goofy and over-the-top series (both Nobunaga's, Seitokai Yakuindomo, Hamatora, Zvezda, Wizard Barristers, even Noragami and Inari Konkon are quite goofy). Maybe it's just an impression of mine, but that's what it's felt like.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
The heck do you mean "chinese cartoons are serious stuff"?

You do realize anime comes from Japan, not China, right?

And its the season of yuri. There is no question.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:38 am Reply with quote
Someone needs to google "figure of speech". Just saying. Also, there's what, one yuri show, two if you count the imouto-getting-possessed-by-perverted-ghost?
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:44 am Reply with quote
There are at least seven shows where yuri is at least a "secondary element" to steal the phrasing from Wikipedia.

Saki, ImoCyo, Mikakunin, Chu2koi, Strike the Blood, Wizard Barristers and of course Sakura Trick.

So far that is. This is an unprecedented number of shows with lesbians in them. I did not include Nobunagun cause it's really only subtext, but I'm half convinced that Shio/Asao is in play.

But seriously, we have girls kissing girls blatantly in Sakura Trick and an on-screen lesbian scene in ImoCyo (multiple of them really).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote
I think this might be the Season of Magic. It's true that virtually any season will have its fair share of shows were magic is a key element but this season we have three shows that actually feature the element in the title: Magical Warfare, Witch Craft Works and Wizard Barristers. In addition there are two shows where gods using magic feature prominently: Nisekoi and Inari, Konkon.
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I think this might be the Season of Magic. It's true that virtually any season will have its fair share of shows were magic is a key element but this season we have three shows that actually feature the element in the title: Magical Warfare, Witch Craft Works and Wizard Barristers. In addition there are two shows where gods using magic feature prominently: Nisekoi and Inari, Konkon.

Did Magi: Kingdom of Magic finish last season or is it still going?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
It is still going, as my Crunchyroll queue alerts like to remind me (would be more helpful if I had gotten around to watching the beginning of that one!).
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
The advent of the Short feature.

That is nothing new, it has been rather common in the last few years/for a while now. More of them just get subbed now.

Winter 2013 had even more than this season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
So if we look at shows that feature girl like girl or yuri elements, we have: Nobunagun (it was pretty heavy), Engaged to the Unidentified, Sakura Trick (the strongest of the season), Witch Craft Works (that maid), Chuunibyou 2, Seitokai Yakuindomo, Recently my sister is unusual, Saki, Go!Go!575, Samurai Flamenco (if we have Moe who has not been in a while), Strike the Blood, and Tokyo Ravens (maybe a bit of a stretch). Although it could just be an anime trend rather than just this season.

There is magic, ghosts, Youkai and gods. And I would say that there feels like there is a larger number of shorts, originals ones at that.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
[seinfeld]I declare this... the Season of Joy![/seinfeld]

I dunno, this season seems pretty disparate. There's an even mix of magic, space, and Oda Nobunaga, so I'd say it's the Season of Variety, Jerry.
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Unless I'm mistaken there's only 2 Nobunaga. 3 depending on what the story Tonari no Seki-kun's Shogi match was telling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2