• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Samurai Flamenco Episodes 7-10 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:

People not watching the show, does not mean that they hate the show. Razz

Or they don't love it enough to buy the entire series. 425 to 550~ US dollars is not cheap.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
well it already has bad sales. 281 sold for the 2nd BD late January. Pretty sure that covered some of the pre-Guillotine Gorilla stuff http://www.someanithing.com/?p=698

Not going to argue that it would have been a best seller otherwise, but 281 copies is catastrophically low. I can't help but wonder how much the sales were hurt by the fact that volume 1 came out after episode 7 had aired.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
^
Pre-order estimates like the ones from Stalker might give us a clue, if we had access to them and could get someone to translate them. I'm pretty curious too . . . . . .
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
The fact that people weren't expecting Episode 7 to do what it did is pretty damn hilarious.

If anything,what it did to begin with (the slow buildup) was the complete 180 from what the show was supposed to be about. Hell, look at the promo art. You had to be lying to yourself if you didn't expect it to be a KR/SS style show at some point.

It's been embracing its roots from the very start.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
^
PMMM's promo art and trailer were pretty innocuous, and look at how it turned out. Can't trust everything you see.

Anyway, the Samurai Flamenco posters did not in any way hint of a guillotine gorilla or the absolutely total way the writing quality collapsed in on itself, so you're wrong on those fronts.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Anyway, the Samurai Flamenco posters did not in any way hint of a guillotine gorilla or the absolutely total way the writing quality collapsed in on itself, so you're wrong on those fronts.

Except it did?
What was the key visual?
If you're even familiar with Tokusatsu, you should've expected something of the sort.

And that second point is entirely subjective. I haven't thought it collapsed on itself at any point. If anything, I'd say it's gotten incredibly witty playing with peoples' expectations.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:13 pm; edited 4 times in total
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Pre-order estimates like the ones from Stalker might give us a clue, if we had access to them and could get someone to translate them. I'm pretty curious too . . . . . .

Nothing changed it the rankings because of that episode. During all of autumn, the v1 estimation was sitting around 0.9k~(including DVD's).

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
gedata wrote:
well it already has bad sales. 281 sold for the 2nd BD late January. Pretty sure that covered some of the pre-Guillotine Gorilla stuff http://www.someanithing.com/?p=698

Not going to argue that it would have been a best seller otherwise, but 281 copies is catastrophically low. I can't help but wonder how much the sales were hurt by the fact that volume 1 came out after episode 7 had aired.

The BD was always around the 2000# rank on amazon, the gorilla barely affected the sales.

But its impossible to tell how many people bought it or didn't buy it because of its new direction.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Except it did?
What was the key visual?
If you're even familiar with Tokusatsu, you should've expected something of the sort.

There is no guillotine gorillas in that poster, nor is there anything to suggest that the show was going to get that dark. Plus it is easy in hindsight to say that the show was always going to be a crazy show, but to people during the first six episodes that poster could easily have represented Hazama's idealisation of the genre rather than an actual promise of what was to come.

I haven't overlooked how you completely ignored the PMMM example I mentioned. Key visuals and trailers are not always trustworthy. The poster meant little, especially as the show was (initially at least) a deconstruction of the genre (just like PMMM was).

Lynx Amali wrote:
And that second point is entirely subjective. I haven't thought it collapsed on itself at any point. If anything, I'd say it's gotten incredibly witty playing with peoples' expectations.

The writing quality has unambiguously gone down the crapper. It's introduced numerous plot holes and no narrative structure except batcrap insanity. Good characters like Goto and Mari were pushed to the side and the careful world-building was totally ruined.

Self-destructing your once-good show just for fun and to play with expectations is not smart or cool or witty, it's just stupid and childish.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Good characters like Goto and Mari were pushed to the side and the careful world-building was totally ruined.

This was true up until this week's episode. The previous story arc (after King Torture) was hard to swallow, but it's (finally) over. Things seem to be turning around.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Plus it is easy in hindsight to say that the show was always going to be a crazy show, but to people during the first six episodes that poster could easily have represented Hazama's idealisation of the genre rather than an actual promise of what was to come.

Way to ignore the rest of my point.
"If you're even familiar with Tokusatsu, you should've expected something of the sort."
The show has been always inspired heavily by Tokuatsu. It was easy to think they wouldn't reveal things that would become plot relevant in future arcs if it were Hazama's idealisation as you like to put it but they did. Think of the first six episodes as an extended first episode before the main character received his or her ability. Episode 7 introduces the main antagonist, like the end of the first episode of a show normally does.

Quote:
I haven't overlooked how you completely ignored the PMMM example I mentioned. Key visuals and trailers are not always trustworthy. The poster meant little, especially as the show was (initially at least) a deconstruction of the genre (just like PMMM was).

First off, maybe because I didn't find it relevant to the discussion at hand? If you were familiar with Gen's earlier work, it was probable (not guaranteed, but probable) that the show would have some darker elements. Phantom, Saya no Uta, Cyber Slayer, Fate Zero (the original novels), hell, even Blassreiter. Hiding his name until the plot twist, I'll give you.

And see my comment about how if they were intentionally hiding things, why would they release a VISUAL THAT WOULD BECOME PLOT RELEVANT before the show even started? You may have a point that they were hiding things before the show started and what it was actually about but maybe, just maybe that was the point? Maybe they didn't want to spoil the twist?

Quote:

The writing quality has unambiguously gone down the crapper. It's introduced numerous plot holes and no narrative structure except batcrap insanity. Good characters like Goto and Mari were pushed to the side and the careful world-building was totally ruined.

First off, Mari a good character? I don't know. She's easily one of the worst in the show which I guess makes sense given her story arc (which was actually ongoing until this past episode!) While you may have a point about Goto not having relevance in this past arc, that's true of any number of shows that have a large cast. You cast some aside for an arc or so, focus on another character and then bring them back to focus on.

I don't know about the world building being self-destructed. Honestly, it made sense. You build up a relatively normal setting and essentially destroy it by introducing things both the people in the story and the viewer wouldn't expect at that point.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:56 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
Except it did?
What was the key visual?

... to people during the first six episodes that poster could easily have represented Hazama's idealisation of the genre rather than an actual promise of what was to come.

I'd never seen that image, but yeah, if I had I would have expected it was part of the joke, like the dream in the original opening.

Same with the Tokuatsu stuff. Of course it's inspired heavily by Tokuatsu -- that was the joke. A guy who wishes the real world was like a Tokuatsu series.

Super and Defendor are heavily inspired by superhero comics, but it's not as if you can safely assume they'll change into an exaggerated form of standard superhero stories half-way through. A promo image of one of them on an exaggerated-looking comic cover, e.g. "Defendor issue #347", wouldn't have been misleading advertising so long as you had some idea of the premise.

Lynx Amali wrote:
I don't know about the world building being self-destructed. Honestly, it made sense. You build up a relatively normal setting and essentially destroy it by introducing things both the people in the story and the viewer wouldn't expect at that point.

If the new introductions had seemed clever, competently handled or of interest to me I probably would have agreed. I'm glad some people are still enjoying it though. Maybe I'll check a recent episode to see what the new plot arc is that yoshiyukiblade mentioned.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
The fact that people weren't expecting Episode 7 to do what it did is pretty damn hilarious.

If anything,what it did to begin with (the slow buildup) was the complete 180 from what the show was supposed to be about. Hell, look at the promo art. You had to be lying to yourself if you didn't expect it to be a KR/SS style show at some point.

It's been embracing its roots from the very start.

I actually started the show thinking "It's like Tiger & Bunny but from the guy that directed Baccano!" Which might explain why the Gorilla twist didn't bother me at all--it's much closer to what I was originally expecting from the show. (But with better characterization for the side characters than Tiger & Bunny ever had.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Good characters like Goto and Mari were pushed to the side and the careful world-building was totally ruined.

Now that's really hard to take seriously. Seriously, Mari? She was like the second coming of Asuka but more annoying. And she even returned last week. Way to jump the gun when judging an ongoing show.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
A good character doesn't necessarily mean a likable character. I think she was good in that she filled a certain role to contrast SF, and they built a rivalry over time. On the other hand, the rest of the Flamengers weren't good characters to me. They just felt like a bunch of hollow extras and still do.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I'd sort of gotten bored of the show during the King Torture arc, but the newest episodes have gotten me interested again. spoiler[It seems like the show's come full circle, what with Masayoshi once again getting chased as Samurai Flamenco, but for entirely different reasons.]
Now if they can just bring in more Goto, I might really like it again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4