• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Has Not Recorded a Dub for Dragon Ball Z Kai's Buu Saga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
not sure why people make a big deal of this. They probably won't be releasing this any time soon anyway. atleast not until they air in Japan.
Zixeon14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
God dammit! Sad
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
NDAs are so silly.

Indeed they are.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
I'll perpetually fail to grasp why it is Funimation releases this story over and over again.
I am eternally mystified why, despite vastly improving their dub game over the years, Funimation's dubs of Dragonball Z continue to be abysmal. Is it some sort of running gag?

Kai was supposed to "burn the chaff", to cut off the bad, of everything DBZ. Between the Japanese including Buu (and excluding some continuity-creating scenes) and Funimation retaining the same horrid dubbing style and STILL having Chris Sabat talk to himself due to "overcasting" (Kai and nostalgia were never intended to coexist, something Funi didn't understand), it is clear that the endeavor was a complete failure.

...I've heard Sabat say that when he first started voicing so many characters in the show that he wasn't afforded the time to do them all justice. Now that it has been years I should think that he has been, but that is clearly not the case.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:07 am Reply with quote
I don't know if I entirely agree, Echo_City. I think Dragon Ball Z Kai's English dub has been pretty satisfactory. The script accuracy has been turned up dramatically, certain problematic performers were replaced (though mostly because they were unavailable), and there's none of that replacement music nonsense (er, except perhaps from the Japanese side, thanks to Yamamoto, but Kikuchi's stuff is still great, even if they don't use as many tracks as I'd like). Most (though not all) of the returning VAs improved.

I hardly want to pat them on the back for doing their jobs the right way after over a decade of not, but the English dub for Kai is one of the reasons I purchased some volumes of it on Blu-Ray, because it's worth rewarding the effort (though honestly it probably would have taken them LESS effort to be more accurate to start with, since they wouldn't have to invent large swaths of dialogue). It isn't perfect, it's probably not what I prefer, but it's fine.

If anybody has lost a step, it's a few of the Japanese cast members, given their old age. I feel like though many still outstrip their English counterparts, it's not a blowout anymore. Ryo Horikawa is sounding especially weathered (if I recall, he smokes) and even Mayumi Tanaka slips into her Luffy now and then when playing Kuririn. Norio Wakamoto's Cell is basically Norio Wakamoto being Norio Wakamoto. It still works for the character, but he has kind of become a parody of himself.

About Sabat, I think he became too attached to some of these roles to let go of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
L stole my cookie!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:34 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't know if I entirely agree, Echo_City. I think Dragon Ball Z Kai's English dub has been pretty satisfactory. The script accuracy has been turned up dramatically, certain problematic performers were replaced (though mostly because they were unavailable), and there's none of that replacement music nonsense (er, except perhaps from the Japanese side, thanks to Yamamoto, but Kikuchi's stuff is still great, even if they don't use as many tracks as I'd like). Most (though not all) of the returning VAs improved.

I hardly want to pat them on the back for doing their jobs the right way after over a decade of not, but the English dub for Kai is one of the reasons I purchased some volumes of it on Blu-Ray, because it's worth rewarding the effort (though honestly it probably would have taken them LESS effort to be more accurate to start with, since they wouldn't have to invent large swaths of dialogue). It isn't perfect, it's probably not what I prefer, but it's fine.

If anybody has lost a step, it's a few of the Japanese cast members, given their old age. I feel like though many still outstrip their English counterparts, it's not a blowout anymore. Ryo Horikawa is sounding especially weathered (if I recall, he smokes) and even Mayumi Tanaka slips into her Luffy now and then when playing Kuririn. Norio Wakamoto's Cell is basically Norio Wakamoto being Norio Wakamoto. It still works for the character, but he has kind of become a parody of himself.

About Sabat, I think he became too attached to some of these roles to let go of them.

You stole the words right outta my mouth, penguintruth. I actually can't even bring myself to watch the old dub, save for some funny so bad it's good moments, but I think Kai has a pretty good dub.
Brakus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
rootsofjustice wrote:
FUNimation's corporate side has lost a ton of credibility since Charlene Ingraham left the company and I have in the past called them on their lack of credibility several times.

2012 (when Charlene was still with Funimation) had all these extras dubbed:

Princess Jellyfish Shorts, Freezing Shorts, Panty & Stocking Shorts

And as soon as Charlene joins VIZ she continues her excellent work and said upfront at a panel that the Accel World Shorts would be dubbed.

Not everything that FUNimation has the rights to gets dubbed. The Mini Sengoku BASARA shorts (for both TV series and the movie) never got dubbed. And they didn't include the Ashigaru Dance "how-to" dance video from Season 1 or the "Party Must Go On" "how-to" dance video from the Movie.

Then again, I don't think Char was the brand manager for SenBASA. Still, I wish those had gotten dubbed.
PusoPimp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Dear Funimation: Please stop contradicting yourselves you look like idiots. It's obvious their lying about not recording it so why not just stay quiet?

The fact they're so hasty to respond instead of saying "No Comment" tells me this might not be so obviously lying as it seems.

The actors have already said otherwise concerning this situation. Between Funimation and the actors it's pretty obvious who's lying. If they were really honest about it they'd have denied it back with Sean Schemell and Kyle Hebert made those comments

There's a chance something could have fallen out or plans could have changed. It wasn't initially gonna air in Japan you may recall.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:20 am Reply with quote
PusoPimp wrote:
Divineking wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Dear Funimation: Please stop contradicting yourselves you look like idiots. It's obvious their lying about not recording it so why not just stay quiet?

The fact they're so hasty to respond instead of saying "No Comment" tells me this might not be so obviously lying as it seems.

The actors have already said otherwise concerning this situation. Between Funimation and the actors it's pretty obvious who's lying. If they were really honest about it they'd have denied it back with Sean Schemell and Kyle Hebert made those comments

There's a chance something could have fallen out or plans could have changed. It wasn't initially gonna air in Japan you may recall.

Said actors have said they've done work on it, and Sean Schemmel implied he was almost done playing Goku. Regardless of whether or not things fell through, FUNimation is still lying through their teeth when they say "no work on the dub has been done."
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
DBZ magic happens over at OkraTron5000. Funi doesn't own it, Chris Sabat does, so technically, this statement is correct. Funimation has not done any recording since they don't use their recording studios to record for DBZ
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3