• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bryce Papenbrook to Voice Attack on Titan's Eren in English

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaos Salad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
I'm not gonna lie, I had my heart set on Greg Ayres playing Eren (can't get enough of Greg's "deep voice" Wink), but I do believe that Bryce Papenbrook can do a good job as Eren. I didn't get to see the English dub premier, so I'm wondering how Bryce handles Eren's RAGE moments. This may be an unpopular opinion, but in general, I'm not fond of Yuki Kaji (I find his voice irritating in most of his roles). However, I thought he was great as Eren, especially when Eren was intensely angry. Hoping Bryce can bring that intensity to Eren too :]
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Walking Dead is a gory action comic that's achieved phenomenal success in the US, outselling the superhero comics that traditionally dominate the American market.

Attack on Titan is a gory action comic that's achieved phenomenal success in Jpaan, outselling the Shonen Jump comics that traditionally dominate the Japanese market.

Pointing this out will attract some comic readers and fans of the TV series who ordinarily might not be interested in the anime or manga.

1. Walking Dead doesn't outsell superhero comics
2. Attack on Titan IS a shounen comic so it can't outsell itself. Your comparison falls apart here because at least Walking Dead isn't a superhero comic but Attack on Titan is in the same boat as One Piece, Naruto and Bleach
3. Yeah, it's clear that's the marketing point of it, but it's still a cringeworthy comparison that makes no sense if you actually start to think about it

Like I said on Twitter when I saw FUNi try to push the comparison on there, the only show that is the "Walking Dead" of anime is Highschool of the Dead…but then again, they don't have that show… Razz

I get the comparison, but I don't really see the two shows on the same wavelength. AoT is more of a "very popular show" than a transcendent phenom like WD. It was certainly the most popular show last year and one of the most popular in the last few years, but even with all of the chatter, it never felt like a WD-type show within fandom, either. AoT and WD are both horror shows with similar, water-cooler-like properties, and WD is the only big horror series on U.S. TV, but beyond that, no. I've heard more critics and fans laud AoT for its fun and entertainment factors than for its story elements and handling--unlike WD, which has garnered that much praise, as well, which really lent to its notoriety. In terms of scale (at least, within anime), I would compare it more to a "DBZ" than to a "Haruhi" or "Madoka Magica", which I would say were closer a "WD" (AoT's really more of a mix of them, which is still complimentary in its own right). Maybe its more along the lines of a CBS drama (ex. CSI, NCIS): it has the popularity and numbers, but not that and level of public discussion and critical praise like a cable show (ex. Mad Men, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Netflix's House of Cards)?

In all, the tag is flawed and rather unnecessary. It's meant more to attract casuals and non-fans, but FUNi should just let the show speak more for itself. It has more than enough bells-and-whistles to it to attract attention, it has prime cross-over potential, and is a must-schedule on Toonami. Just let it go on a roll, it doesn't need that much pushing…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5