• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite seinen / josei anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mijuka

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote
Hello everyone, I was just curious, for those of you who like Seinen/Josei anime & manga. what's your favorite ?

I just want to share the love for seinen/Josei because it's rarely talked about. I just finished watching "Hataraki Man" and it was really good.

Disclaimer: Not the poronograhic ones please. -_-

[EDIT: There really is no reason to have 10 blank paragraph breaks at the end of this post... -TK]

Ok Tony, sorry i'm not really used to this so gomen:

My favoriet anime list:
Nana: slice of life + bands fuel
Oniisama e: secret crushes + a bit of yuri
The Rose of Versailles: war + romance
Hataraki Man (latest): dealing with perfectionism + job problems + relationships
(I don't want to spoil anything so I kept it to minimal)

My favorite mangas of that genre are mostly one-shots, i'll try to remember them and post them.
My next anime to watch is "Gokusen". I know i'm late :p

Last edited by Mijuka on Tue May 20, 2014 10:38 am; edited 4 times in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
Please observe our "no listing or one-liners" rule.

When starting a thread that asks something, it is considered a common courtesy to, at least, answer the question yourself and get the discussion going. Otherwise, it violates said rule, which can result in locked threads and/or deleted posts.

You can easily fix this by editing your opener and adding 2-4 sentences saying why you picked that show. Example:

Nodame Cantabile -- blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Chiaki. blah blah blah blah Nodame. blah blah blah blah classical music. blah blah blah blah blah interesting characters because of their quirky personalities and sometimes offbeat humor. blah blah blah blah passionate about something in life, and it's nice to see a story that tells that.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
Before I do anything else I need to ask a question.
How do I know if a show is seinen or josei?

I hope that the answer does not involve researching the history of the show to find out which magazine the manga was published in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mijuka

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

I hope that the answer does not involve researching the history of the show to find out which magazine the manga was published in.

Good question. And the answer is no, you don't have to go through what magazine it was published in (although it might help). You would know yourself if that anime/Manga is considered seinen or josei just by getting the feel of how realistic it is. Most Josie/seinen are targeted for an older audience (as you most probably know) some could target up to 50 year olds. Bottom line is if you feel like this anime is "childish" or fantasy, it's mostly not considered to be under those genres.
Note: seinen is targeted for men so it's less emotional than Josei, which is targeted for women.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

No doubt some things listed in this topic wouldn't be considered seinen/josei by others. Most of the genres in anime are often very blurred. I tend to liken them more to music than hollywood movies. Few movies have a vague genre but I'd say a majority of music has. Anime is the same.

I really like slice-of-life and travelling anime/manga so most things will fall into that and luckily many of those are also seinen. I can never get enough Aria and if they ever fully animate Should-a-coffin Kuro it'll be pure bliss for me. September (vol 4) can't come early enough. There's more- much more but for some reason I'm drawing a blank.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:03 am Reply with quote
Mijuka wrote:
You would know yourself if that anime/Manga is considered seinen or josei just by getting the feel of how realistic it is. Most Josie/seinen are targeted for an older audience (as you most probably know) some could target up to 50 year olds. Bottom line is if you feel like this anime is "childish" or fantasy, it's mostly not considered to be under those genres.

I think that most anime and a lot of manga are "childish" or fantasy. I tend to like those things though. So no, I often can't tell which is which, because they are classified as shonen/seinen/shojo/josei depending on what is the target demographic of any specific magazine they're published in, or what is the timeslot for anime. For example Death Note could easily be thought of as seinen, but it was published in Shonen Jump. I find Gantz to be really silly, but it's dark'n'edgy, so it's seinen. Anything with large amounts of ecchi, no matter how immature, will also be seinen.

Considering the original question. Because Knights of Sidonia is currently airing, I've been looking into Tsutomu Nihei's works like the manga version of KoS, Blame, Biomega. If you're into decent sci-fi, you may want to check him out.

You can also use our recommendation thread here if you're looking for specific genres.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
I didn't know Sidonia was by the guy who did Blame. That.... actually makes a lot of sense LOL. Currently reading through Blame.

I think Death Note is a perfect example of the blurriness of genres. I'd call it seinen.
Mijuka

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the information jl07045!
I think a lot of shounen magazines publish seinen manga, funny thing I don't find that quite common for shoujo magazines to publish josei manga.

I'll definitely use the recommendation thread to get more of the good stuff. I just wanted to open a discussion that was purely dedicated to the genre. Thank you again Smile

[EDIT: Another introductory forum tip, please try not to over-quote Anime smallmouth, thanks. -TK]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
If I had to pick a favorite seinen, it would be Monster. 74 episodes of well written story with various plotlines, characters, and events that all come together in the end to make great show.

My best guess at favorite Jousei series that I've seen would be Haibane Renmei which is one of most meaningful and deep works I've seen come out of anime. Its intriguing on several levels from philosophical to psychological.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu May 22, 2014 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
For seinen, definitely Monster. I don't often get hooked to 50+ episode anime titles because often titles of such long length will resort to filler, recaps or plot dragging to extend their run. Not only do I not get this with Monster, but it has one of the more complex and deeply engrossing plots I've seen with an anime on top of just as complex characters and one of the best villains I've seen in an anime in the form of Johan Liebert.

For josei, would go with Paradise Kiss. It was one of my first exposures to a josei title in the mid-2000s, it offered a believable look into Yukari's growth into being a fashion model and her relationship with George was an interesting dynamic for a romantic couple. I still own the old Geneon DVDs of the series that came out for the series years ago, which shows how interested I was in the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
For seinen, definitely Monster. I don't often get hooked to 50+ episode anime titles because often titles of such long length will resort to filler, recaps or plot dragging to extend their run.
I figure it's a matter of if they go in saying "We need 50 episodes for this anime" or if they say "we have 50 episodes for this anime."

Also, +1 for Monster.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1