• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Star Blazers 2199 Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Since some brought up the trailers on the voyager official site. Those are from August when they were still trying to get someone to give them money for a dub. Bright stop fully translated trailers for 6 of the 7 Chapter trailers. They are very lazy.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
All I can say is I'm just so [expletive] glad this series exists. I love Star Blazers, but the first series has MASSIVE pacing issues, mostly due to the fact that it was going to be 52 episodes long, and got cut short to 26. I friggin' love this series. It's everything I wanted from a remake. I would've loved a dub, and yeah, it's a little expensive, but I'm still going to buy all 6 volumes. A little more than a week till volume 2!
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
They're supposedly still shopping this around for a dub, according to one of their news videos linked here. Frankly, it's stupid they went with this kind of release, unless it's for the people who just want it right away...but those people would have already imported.

And we still have yet to hear about Funimation's Yamato Resurrection release, which I bet is being pushed back because Voyager might want them to wait until the last single of 2199 gets released here. Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar: The first series is great. It's the follow-ups which are weak.

Zeether: Effingmation doesn't know what it's doing with anything which isn't DBZ. I'm still waiting for a date on RE: Cyborg 009, myself.

Valkyrie: It's not the nostalgia. It's the fact that Disney still wants to make a movie out of it.

Fronzel: Again, the price is still better than those Gundam Unicorn Blu-Rays.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I'll buy it when they re-hire Eldred.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
They're supposedly still shopping this around for a dub, according to one of their news videos linked here. Frankly, it's stupid they went with this kind of release, unless it's for the people who just want it right away...but those people would have already imported.

And we still have yet to hear about Funimation's Yamato Resurrection release, which I bet is being pushed back because Voyager might want them to wait until the last single of 2199 gets released here. Rolling Eyes

Bought the imports since it was so good (show looks gorgeous on BD too), but that would be nice I'd love a dub and I'd totally double-dip for a respectable dub.

Yeah, I'm still really looking forward to that Yamato Ressurrection release even after all this time. Still amazed and really pleased Funi was able to get it and really looking forward to seeing it in HD, plus Funi's dub.

Which ofcourse means on some level I'll probably be distracted wishing that Funi could have had the chance to do one for Yamato 2199 too lol.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I love that the series added in more women and gave them actual stuff to do. While also being progressive, it gives me more nice stuff to ogle on screen aside from the ships.

Yup, completely agree!
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
All I can say is I'm just so [expletive] glad this series exists. I love Star Blazers, but the first series has MASSIVE pacing issues, mostly due to the fact that it was going to be 52 episodes long, and got cut short to 26. I friggin' love this series. It's everything I wanted from a remake. I would've loved a dub, and yeah, it's a little expensive, but I'm still going to buy all 6 volumes. A little more than a week till volume 2!

Actually, the original planned length of the series was 39 episodes, not 52. The Yomiuri network which was airing it cut the series short due to poor ratings sometime in November 1974 (source: http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/127/).

Space Battleship Yamato 3, released in the US as The Bolar Wars was originally slated for 52, but was reduced in November 1980 to 25 episodes (source: http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/131/).

penguintruth wrote:
I'll buy it when they re-hire Eldred.

Doubtful that would ever happen. The ironic thing here is that ourstarblazers.com can have content on it relating to Leiji Matsumoto, which was not possible on the Voyager-sponsored site. So for the purposes of completeness, you could argue fans are better off that he's not working for them anymore. We get treated to things like his 2010 interview with Matsumoto, which wouldn't be able to be seen on the official site.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
Sandstar wrote:

Actually, the original planned length of the series was 39 episodes, not 52. The Yomiuri network which was airing it cut the series short due to poor ratings sometime in November 1974 (source: http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/127/).

Ah, fair enough. It still had massive pacing issues. spoiler[Get to Iscandar on episode 24, get back to Earth in episode 26. ]
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
Sandstar wrote:

Ah, fair enough. It still had massive pacing issues. spoiler[Get to Iscandar on episode 24, get back to Earth in episode 26. ]

I stand corrected. You were right from one point of view in that Yoshinobu Nishizaki originally pitched a 52-episode series, but Yomiuri would only accept 39 episodes.

You can read an article about the high-level 52-episode guide, and a more in-depth 39-episode synopsis here. Funnily enough, spoiler[all the longer episode plan did was place more storyline before they arrived at Iscandar; the Yamato still wouldn't arrive before Episode 38, and only one episode covered the return journey to Earth, the same as what eventually would be produced].
Sandstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Sandstar: The first series is great. It's the follow-ups which are weak.

Nah, dude, Season 2 is friggin' AMAZING. I so want them to remake it. mmmmm.....a 1/500 Andromeda......please make it, Bandai!
Sandstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
Sandstar wrote:

I stand corrected. You were right from one point of view in that Yoshinobu Nishizaki originally pitched a 52-episode series, but Yomiuri would only accept 39 episodes.

You can read an article about the high-level 52-episode guide, and a more in-depth 39-episode synopsis here. Funnily enough, spoiler[all the longer episode plan did was place more storyline before they arrived at Iscandar; the Yamato still wouldn't arrive before Episode 38, and only one episode covered the return journey to Earth, the same as what eventually would be produced].

Maybe it's good that it got canceled then....nah, I'd totally be happy with more Star Blazers Smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar: Season 2 is a retread of the first show.

Valkyrie:
Quote:
We get treated to things like his 2010 interview with Matsumoto, which wouldn't be able to be seen on the official site.

Link, please?
Sandstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Sandstar: Season 2 is a retread of the first show.

No, it's not. It's superficially the same, in that the general plot is the same, but it is NOT a retread.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar: The only differences are that it's darker and they fight tougher enemies. It's not really anything which expands the main story. It's just a different "boss" they're up against, and that's it.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
A small but interesting difference between this and the original is that in this the whole world sends electrical power to allow the Yamato to launch. In the original, the only acknowledgment of the world outside of Japan was some messages on the radio indicating that everyone else was dead.

GATSU wrote:
Fronzel: Again, the price is still better than those Gundam Unicorn Blu-Rays.

The existence of even higher prices doesn't make these any better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5