• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Miyazaki is Agitated Over the Latest Ghibli Movie Poster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
penguin:
Quote:
Then he tore the poster down and left the studio to go teach children how to use knives and start fires.

You should've added that he then pitted them together in a death match on an island. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Well this gave me a good laugh. Laughing

Really who cares, there'll probably be more promo art anyway and if the film itself is solid (I have zero knowledge of the source material) then there's no real issue here.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
BooktapC wrote:
Hmmm, I can see the point he might be coming from since perhaps it has always been done in animation studios using blonde girls as characters with exoticism. He may have wanted them to not do something overused/cliche.

Still I don't think we can judge him on this issue since we were not there and perhaps he may have specific reasons why he was agitated over the movie poster.

Although I do see this being the downside of retiring you can no longer influence the direction of future projects.

Exactly.
And using his past posters for this argument there was at least .. "something" going on with the background or highlighting the the core focus of the movie.. this is pretty damn generic compared to his other posters.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
reidwyr wrote:
I think some people here are missing the point.

I think he is probably angry at the fact that this poster is nothing more than just the character standing there.

This poster doesn't say much about the movie besides "hey the main character is this blonde girl here, come watch the movie".

That is cliche and outdated, he probably wanted something more creative that said more about the movie.

I think the only thing that would satisfy Miyazaki would be a movie poster that was, for lack of a better term, "Iconic", as it stands the poster for Marnie is simply "decent" but would be lost in the sea of other movie posters that will arrive throughout the years.

This is understandable as Miyazaki's philosophy in forming Ghibli was for the studio to produce superb animated works and not just push out flavor of the year productions.

Realistically, Miyazaki was going to be dissatisfied even if resources had been put into making a "timeless" movie poster.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I guess he's upset because blond-haired-blue-eyed girls would be something of an exotic even fetish fuel in Asia but either way I have to agree with many others, just sounds like the old grump is at it again. Dude take a chill pill and go play some golf now.
roanhammer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Les Miserables is outdated now?
MisterLuck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
It's funny how a lot of you are making it sound, like he's racist and a nationalist when that's not even what he saying. So cut it out with the racism and nationalism don't forget that Japanese people are making this movie. So stop making yourself and the community look bad.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't exactly like the poster myself either. I guess what bugs me is that the poster is basically just Marnie, so in a way it feels more like a photoshoot than a movie poster. I'm also bugged by her pose, because I've seen it elsewhere in situations where it carried a sort of coquettish vibe, that feels a bit discomfiting to see in a Ghibli work. And last of all, it doesn't help that the text along the right-hand side can be translated to read "I love you", and couple that with the fact Marnie seems to be looking directly into your eyes... well I dunno', I think I'm just reminded a bit much of an idol or dating sim advertisement Laughing which is hard to stomach when I'm trying to think about a Ghibli movie (I realize it has nothing to do with the plot of the movie, I guess it's more of an unsettling parallel for me).

As for Miyazaki's reasoning, it might be tamer than people are getting worked up over. I remember reading in the Kiki's Delivery Service artbook that Ghibli had devised a very unique coloring scheme system for their works (one they thought was innovative and unique to Ghibli at the time, IIRC) that balanced the character coloring with the background art in a way that produced a warm, earthy tone and a stronger sense for realism. Maybe Miyazaki is bugged by the fact that the color scheme in the poster kind of emphasizes the girl's blonde hair in a way that seems to purposefully catch the eye rather than act as an integrated earthy picture like the studio is known for. And sort of similar to my sentiment, he might not like the way the picture excessively focuses on just the girl, making it feel more like a posed magazine photo than an artistic representation of the movie itself. So maybe Miyazaki just feels like the poster comes across more like an advertisement than a piece of art.

Honestly though, he's the only person who knows what he meant, so it's really up for interpretation until he clarifies.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Miyazaki, it's a pretty outdated.

She she totally be in a skimpy swimsuit if they want to attract more viewers. Duh.

Last edited by Mister Ryan Andrews on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Old guy complaining that things are like they were when he was young?

"Hey you kids, get on my lawn!"
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I don't exactly like the poster myself either. I guess what bugs me is that the poster is basically just Marnie, so in a way it feels more like a photoshoot than a movie poster. I'm also bugged by her pose, because I've seen it elsewhere in situations where it carried a sort of coquettish vibe, that feels a bit discomfiting to see in a Ghibli work. And last of all, it doesn't help that the text along the right-hand side can be translated to read "I love you", and couple that with the fact Marnie seems to be looking directly into your eyes... well I dunno', I think I'm just reminded a bit much of an idol or dating sim advertisement Laughing which is hard to stomach when I'm trying to think about a Ghibli movie (I realize it has nothing to do with the plot of the movie, I guess it's more of an unsettling parallel for me).

As for Miyazaki's reasoning, it might be tamer than people are getting worked up over. I remember reading in the Kiki's Delivery Service artbook that Ghibli had devised a very unique coloring scheme system for their works (one they thought was innovative and unique to Ghibli at the time, IIRC) that balanced the character coloring with the background art in a way that produced a warm, earthy tone and a stronger sense for realism. Maybe Miyazaki is bugged by the fact that the color scheme in the poster kind of emphasizes the girl's blonde hair in a way that seems to purposefully catch the eye rather than act as an integrated earthy picture like the studio is known for. And sort of similar to my sentiment, he might not like the way the picture excessively focuses on just the girl, making it feel more like a posed magazine photo than an artistic representation of the movie itself. So maybe Miyazaki just feels like the poster comes across more like an advertisement than a piece of art.

Honestly though, he's the only person who knows what he meant, so it's really up for interpretation until he clarifies.

I'm gonna fully quote you here simply because you said everything that needs to be said. I was waiting until a true fan steps out that understands Miyazaki and gave his two cents on the bigger picture.

Really this is why misleading articles like this bug me, because apparently people unfamiliar with Miyazaki can take it as racism.
And what's even sadder is crunchyroll will probably make this article even shorter just like they did with with "I dumped its shocking ending" which was just downright insulting.

Last edited by StormVanguard on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Hunh. I actually like the poster...

Ryu Shoji wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
There's nothing mysterious about this girl. It's *obvious* that she's an American. Everyone knows that all Americans have blond hair and blue eyes. Sheesh.

> The original novel is by a British author.
>> And is set in Norfolk, England.
>>> So the characters must be American!

But then again, having watched the K-ON! Movie, the point still stands that according to the Japanese, all westerners have blond hair and blue eyes.

Tuor is just poking fun at the fact that, in many series, the blonde/blue-eyed girls are American. Though, yes, it's commonly applied to many Westerners.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
The Miyazaki butthurt continues, he needs to quit, please enjoy your retirement, take up flower arranging, golf, fishing, anything but having butthurt over a blond on a poster, it is not hurting the film or Japanese culture.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Really? That's why Hayao is so angry at this poster? Because it features a character who's blond, and he thinks people aren't attracted to blonds anymore? I respect Hayao in terms of him being a directer, but that's no reason to get angry over a poster. There are much worse things you can get angry over in term of advertisement then this.

As a side note I need to get around to importing the book this movie is on. From reading the summery of the story it seems like a kind of book I would like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
drgonzo369

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the most unprofessional starts of an article I've ever seen on this website. Am I reading ANN or TMZ? "Everyone's favorite grump is at it again"...Seriously? This is how you start an article about one of the most prolific people in the history of anime? If some of the greatest film creators of all time were complaining about things, would you start an article the same way?

And racist? What door to the Twilight Zone did I step through tonight to see comments like this? "Go home grandpa?" Really???

Oh...wait...silly me. I forgot that this is a generation of fans who only watch series where the main lead characters are females who look 9 years old dressed in skimpy clothes and talking about losing their virginity to their sempai. *sigh*

I think that the main issue is the jaded fans on both these shores and Japan's shores who feel that they are owed things by those who create these cartoons that we enjoy (yes, I'll call a spade a spade, YOU ARE BITCHING ABOUT CARTOONS). The same kind of people who call someone like Miyazaki "Old Man" are the same kind of nuts who get pissed off that a Japanese voice actress or Idol Singer gets a boyfriend or heaven forbid has sex. ENJOY YOUR CARTOONS AND QUIT BITCHING.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5