• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Miyazaki is Agitated Over the Latest Ghibli Movie Poster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
drgonzo369 wrote:
This is one of the most unprofessional starts of an article I've ever seen on this website. Am I reading ANN or TMZ? "Everyone's favorite grump is at it again"...Seriously? This is how you start an article about one of the most prolific people in the history of anime? If some of the greatest film creators of all time were complaining about things, would you start an article the same way?

And racist? What door to the Twilight Zone did I step through tonight to see comments like this? "Go home grandpa?" Really???

Just don't wander over into a Fat Albert fan group expressing their current opinions about Bill Cosby...
(I've got enough embarrassment having been an Elton John fan as a kid.)
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Ya he needs to chill. Maybe she just went super saiyan
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Ya he needs to chill. Maybe she just went super saiyan
gilg4mesh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Hee it's related to racism? I thought it's related to stereotype of anime now... Though I agree with the thoughts that maybe what Miyazaki meant is that the poster not telling enough about the movie. For me that knows nothing, the only thing I can deduce from that poster is "Hmm she should be the main chara... mmm about a girl who live a princess-like life?", and no, that kind of poster IMHO not good enough.

drgonzo369 wrote:
This is one of the most unprofessional starts of an article I've ever seen on this website. Am I reading ANN or TMZ? "Everyone's favorite grump is at it again"...Seriously? This is how you start an article about one of the most prolific people in the history of anime? If some of the greatest film creators of all time were complaining about things, would you start an article the same way?

And racist? What door to the Twilight Zone did I step through tonight to see comments like this? "Go home grandpa?" Really???

Oh...wait...silly me. I forgot that this is a generation of fans who only watch series where the main lead characters are females who look 9 years old dressed in skimpy clothes and talking about losing their virginity to their sempai. *sigh*

I think that the main issue is the jaded fans on both these shores and Japan's shores who feel that they are owed things by those who create these cartoons that we enjoy (yes, I'll call a spade a spade, YOU ARE BITCHING ABOUT CARTOONS). The same kind of people who call someone like Miyazaki "Old Man" are the same kind of nuts who get pissed off that a Japanese voice actress or Idol Singer gets a boyfriend or heaven forbid has sex. ENJOY YOUR CARTOONS AND QUIT BITCHING.

Agree, you should not bitching like this one Miyazaki-fanboy did :3 Not just bitching, even flavored with ignorance :'3
iCards

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
reidwyr wrote:
I think some people here are missing the point.

I think he is probably angry at the fact that this poster is nothing more than just the character standing there.

This poster doesn't say much about the movie besides "hey the main character is this blonde girl here, come watch the movie".

That is cliche and outdated, he probably wanted something more creative that said more about the movie.

It's more than what Godzilla gave us. All we got of that movie was a teaser of Godzilla's tail for about 5 months.
xyz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
He can use this excuse to come back now.
MisterLuck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
drgonzo369 wrote:

Oh...wait...silly me. I forgot that this is a generation of fans who only watch series where the main lead characters are females who look 9 years old dressed in skimpy clothes and talking about losing their virginity to their sempai. *sigh*

I think that the main issue is the jaded fans on both these shores and Japan's shores who feel that they are owed things by those who create these cartoons that we enjoy (yes, I'll call a spade a spade, YOU ARE BITCHING ABOUT CARTOONS). The same kind of people who call someone like Miyazaki "Old Man" are the same kind of nuts who get pissed off that a Japanese voice actress or Idol Singer gets a boyfriend or heaven forbid has sex. ENJOY YOUR CARTOONS AND QUIT BITCHING.

Wow! How very hypocritical to call people out on their hate and discrimination to be the most hateful and discriminatory comment on this thread. Oh yeah, way to judge ANN for being unprofessional with the way you open a paragraph. Laughing I guess you aren't the only one who can say, they stepped through the twilight zone. Razz
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
I'm with Miyazaki on this... The character looks nice, but it's a pretty bland poster. Tells me nothing, nor is it even intriguing in the least. It's like they just took a piece of character concept art, slapped a title on it and called it a day.

Also he only retired from directing feature films, he's still running the company and working on smaller projects.

Either way, this seems like a story blowing things out of proportion.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
MisterLuck wrote:
I guess you aren't the only one who can say, they stepped through the twilight zone. Razz

Did you actually think about that before you pressed enter?.. Neutral
jdnation wrote:

Either way, this seems like a story blowing things out of proportion.

Just like our news in general and how everyone eats it up, refusing to read between the lines? Rolling Eyes
Yup...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
We won't know what he means unless he expounds on it.
If he doesn't want misunderstandings, he should just outright say it clearly.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:19 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
I'm with Miyazaki on this... The character looks nice, but it's a pretty bland poster. Tells me nothing, nor is it even intriguing in the least. It's like they just took a piece of character concept art, slapped a title on it and called it a day.

Gee, maybe Miyazaki should show them how to market a movie and do a good concise, plot-detailing trailer for a Ghibli movie!
Who needs some vague artistic soft-sell?? Rolling Eyes
Sylontack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
Personally I couldn't care less because I personally think the poster is stunning and I hope I like the film because I'm not ruling out the possibility of securing a theatrical poster for my collection (For when I eventually get good archival frames probably when I've left school)
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:04 am Reply with quote
Is he turning into grumply Frank Miller already ?
Get of my lawn Miyazaki. You are drunk. The poster is very nice though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
reidwyr wrote:
[snip
That is cliche and outdated, he probably wanted something more creative that said more about the movie.

"Hm, let's see, a movie about the man that made Japan's premier fighter plane... let's have a woman in a sun dress painting on a hill while the wind blows! Perfect!"

Oh, Miyazaki, you and your cantankerous attitude. Shine on, you crazy retired-in-name-only diamond, you.
ocfilms

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
To be fair though it is a weak poster, doesn't say anything about the story other than that there is a cute blonde lead. Well crafted though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5